Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big if true ..

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Let's move on a bit. Once we get on the down side of the curve and are not in terminal reaction mode, what should the US response be to China?

That is certainly a chinteresting response Mr. Bannon. But what might be some less lethal responses?
    Keep doing what was winning. Under Trump, the United States was making great strides. Stop selling out our economy to the Chinese. Equalize the playing field through tax incentives and tariffs. Bring American manufacturing back home!
    Moving the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals and other health care peripherals back to the United States is economic nonsense. There aren't enough subsidies in the budget to sway manufacturers into making that a reality.

Let's just get it the fuck out of China. Plenty of other third world manufacturing hubs out there that don't grab us by the balls with threats to our national security.
    Quite honestly I don't disagree although getting vital medical shit in our own country could be considered national defense at this point
    It absolutely should be viewed through the lens of national defense. The fact that we're somewhat beholden to China is what's so scary about the current situation. Now as is the case with all trade matters, there are plenty of medical finished goods that we export to China, among other economic incentivizers.

So it's definitely a cold war of sorts in the sense that "if you fuck up our covid response by withholding crucial drugs/equipment then we'll kill your people by withholding our cancer therapies" is always in the back pocket. Thankfully I don't think either country is too interested in playing that game at the moment. But going forward, it's always going to benefit national security the more "diversified" our supply chain is.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,198
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Let's move on a bit. Once we get on the down side of the curve and are not in terminal reaction mode, what should the US response be to China?

That is certainly a chinteresting response Mr. Bannon. But what might be some less lethal responses?
    Keep doing what was winning. Under Trump, the United States was making great strides. Stop selling out our economy to the Chinese. Equalize the playing field through tax incentives and tariffs. Bring American manufacturing back home!
    Moving the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals and other health care peripherals back to the United States is economic nonsense. There aren't enough subsidies in the budget to sway manufacturers into making that a reality.

Let's just get it the fuck out of China. Plenty of other third world manufacturing hubs out there that don't grab us by the balls with threats to our national security.
    Quite honestly I don't disagree although getting vital medical shit in our own country could be considered national defense at this point
    It absolutely should be viewed through the lens of national defense. The fact that we're somewhat beholden to China is what's so scary about the current situation. Now as is the case with all trade matters, there are plenty of medical finished goods that we export to China, among other economic incentivizers.

So it's definitely a cold war of sorts in the sense that "if you fuck up our covid response by withholding crucial drugs/equipment then we'll kill your people by withholding our cancer therapies" is always in the back pocket. Thankfully I don't think either country is too interested in playing that game at the moment. But going forward, it's always going to benefit national security the more "diversified" our supply chain is.
    Does China actually give a shit about their masses? Wouldn't they rather see them dead?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,758
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Pardon fucking me for not having any sympathy for costs the Pharmaceutical industry may have to bear.

If they didn't have monopolistic control - at the behest of Congress - over their pricing, I might be more sympathetic.

As of now, fuck them and come home in the quickest manner possible.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,703
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I say we wipe any China debt off the books but I don't know if that will be enough to compensate us for what they have done.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    pawz said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Pardon fucking me for not having any sympathy for costs the Pharmaceutical industry may have to bear.

If they didn't have monopolistic control - at the behest of Congress - over their pricing, I might be more sympathetic.

Okay. How do you propose we bring them back?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,195
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This is easy, kick them out of the WTO. Permanently, until they actually have free markets and democratic elections.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    pawz said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/chinese-biological-experiments-infect-humans-coronavirus-exposed-2015-italian-state

Five years ago, Italian state owned media Company, Rai – Radiotelevisione Italiana, exposed dark efforts by China on viruses. The video, which was broadcast in November, 2015, showed how Chinese scientists were doing biological experiments on a SARS connected virus believed to be Coronavirus, derived from bats and mice, asking whether it was worth the risk in order to be able to modify the virus for compatibility with human organisms.

Why are you repeating fringe conspiracy theories that were rightfully used to discredit that far-right nut Tom Cotton?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,247
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

pawz said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/chinese-biological-experiments-infect-humans-coronavirus-exposed-2015-italian-state

Five years ago, Italian state owned media Company, Rai – Radiotelevisione Italiana, exposed dark efforts by China on viruses. The video, which was broadcast in November, 2015, showed how Chinese scientists were doing biological experiments on a SARS connected virus believed to be Coronavirus, derived from bats and mice, asking whether it was worth the risk in order to be able to modify the virus for compatibility with human organisms.

Why are you repeating fringe conspiracy theories that were rightfully used to discredit that far-right nut Tom Cotton?
    H loves him some Chi Coms
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020

haie said:

We've gone from 37,000 deaths worldwide from before the weekend to 42,000 worldwide today. Where's the mountain of bodies. 1.5 weeks to go, but still.

The worldwide death count was at 27k before last weekend.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/
    It was at 35-37k all weekend.

I guess I don't understand exponential growth but even 42k - 27k still makes my point for me.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,758
    Founders Club

pawz said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Okay. How do you propose we bring them back?
    There are any number of modalities .... Executive order (constitutionality will be litigated), congress writes a law, 50+% tariff/sales tax, new FDA mandated manufacturing requirements ...

Obviously I don't know the SOP currently in place, however I refuse to believe there are not incentives or punitive measures that can be levied to insure compliance.

Again, we are talking about national security. We are squarely in 'Fuck You, Pay Me' territory.

Excluding of R&D (which is another discussion) you are never going to convince me the cost to make most medicines on a per pill basis is is exorbitant in a manner that relocating the manufacturer makes such a significant different it would be catastrophic to the industry. Given the historic cash flows of the Pharmaceutical industry, I'm just not buying the claim.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,873
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Agreed. Most drug manufacturing is highly automated. When your Vitamin C is manufactured in China something is wrong. Ascorbic acid ain't a patented secret.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,807

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

More serious?

Its not what we do to China its what we do for ourselves. Move the supply chains to countries that don't want to destroy us. Close our markets to China products. Embargo travel from China to the US

Develop new markets. Build the American economy to buy our own shit made with good wages by people who can afford to buy our shit

America First and Forever

Move the Chinese supply chain back to North America - Mexico specifically.

Provide protection from/elimination of the cartels. By military force, if necessary. Put the Mexican people to work in the jobs the Chinese were doing. Raise their standard of living there for the people and they won't have the incentive to cross the border for a couple bucks - most of them send the money back home irregardless.

This is likely an opportunity to address the illegal immigration problem that is dividing the US and help the Mexican people at the same time.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2020
    jecornel said:

Would it shock anyone that China enjoys killing people and especially Americans??? I would be shocked I tell you!

Long way to go before we reach the 30k+ Americans killed by Chinese fentanyl every year. But I don't want to interrupt any bat & snake narratives.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

More serious?

Its not what we do to China its what we do for ourselves. Move the supply chains to countries that don't want to destroy us. Close our markets to China products. Embargo travel from China to the US

Develop new markets. Build the American economy to buy our own shit made with good wages by people who can afford to buy our shit

Provide protection from/elimination of the cartels. By military force, if necessary. Put the Mexican people to work in the jobs the Chinese were doing. Raise their standard of living there for the people and they won't have the incentive to cross the border for a couple bucks - most of them send the money back home irregardless.

This is likely an opportunity to address the illegal immigration problem that is dividing the US and help the Mexican people at the same time.

I'll add - this is on the pharmaceutical companies to do the right thing. There used to be a concept called a 'good corporate citizen'. That needs to come back in vogue instead of constant quarterly earnings calls.

• Options
    Let's not forget that outsourcing everything to China and destroying US manufacturing jobs across the board was Bi-Partisan AF since the Clinton Administration. And look how many millionaire congressmen and women became millionaires during that period.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,873
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    It would be fixed with competition and a hell of a lot more common sense. New drugs and equipment face huge FDA barriers. First Americans can buy drugs from anywhere. No more marginal pricing to Canada that can't be shipped to a US consumer.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,198
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

More serious?

So we still get drugs from Mexico? They have really shitty weed.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

More serious?

So we still get drugs from Mexico? They have really shitty weed.
    The blow to go with one's hookers has to come from somewhere.

Even in this economy.

• Options
    pawz said:

haie said:

We've gone from 37,000 deaths worldwide from before the weekend to 42,000 worldwide today. Where's the mountain of bodies. 1.5 weeks to go, but still.

I'm hearing they are burning stacking bodies like cordwood. That's just what I'm hearing, don't twist.
    Truth.