Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It's getting to be like Nazi Germany around here

Comments

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,032 Standard Supporter
    The counselor is all in on 100k dead Americans and aliens. I'm thinking way under the 80k flu deaths in the 2017-2018 file season.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

That's actually true. EY has been working from remote and shut down travel for weeks.

Whinney never would have went for that shit.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,590 Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

That's actually true. EY has been working from remote and shut down travel for weeks.

Whinney never would have went for that shit.

Bert Cooper used to have problems with that whippersnapper Roger all the time, too.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,376

The counselor is all in on 100k dead Americans and aliens. I'm thinking way under the 80k flu deaths in the 2017-2018 file season.

The Nazis found Gasbag!
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

The other day police asked us to help find a senior citizen with dementia that was driving unattended.

Fucking Nazis.

Because asking for help to find a lost person is the same as spying on your neighbors and reporting on them to the government. JFC. Have any other false equivalence to offer?
    Calm down edgelord. Have another one
    Great argument.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    I'm saving my powder for when the government ups my stipend. Until then you're all safe.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,650 Founders Club

Baseman said:

We got shut down by corporate. Pussies

Sounds like the free market spoke.
    The government isn't the free market

Not a good little look
    Little wasn't my first thought
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited March 2020
    I guess what we're talking about is how far the police powers can be extended in times of mass public crisis.

There has always been, and will always be, tension between individual liberty and the common good. I understand the Tug Tribe views the latter with great skepticism, but it's not like we've ever had it 100% 'do what you want, when you want.'

What do you do about the mob? When can the police make them disperse? Never? What about the draft? In what circumstances? Not as likely an issue now given that the military is huge and is much less reliant on boots on the ground than it was, say, in WWII, where you just needed a critical mass of bodies that wouldn't have achieved w/o the draft.

Doesn't it usually, really, just come down to whether we agree with the proposed action in some set of exigent circumstances?

I've always been sympathetic to the Libertarian point of view, but I also know that a pure expression of it is impractical, extremely unlikely, and probably not a great idea on the margin.

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,376

I guess what we're talking about is how far the police powers are to be extended in times of mass public panic.

There has always been, and will always be, tension between individual liberties and the common good. I understand the Tug Tribe views the latter with great skepticism, but it's not like we've ever had it 100% 'do what you want, when you want.'

What do you do about the mob? When can the police make them disperse? Never? What about the draft? In what circumstances? Not as likely an issue now given that the military is huge and is much less reliant on boots on the ground than it was, say, in WWII, where you just needed a critical mass of bodies that wouldn't have achieved w/o the draft.

Doesn't it usually, really, just come down to whether we agree with the proposed action in some set of exigent circumstances?

When the national guard sets up check points to have Americans show their home address, we've passed the point of giving up a few liberties for the "common good"

Who gets to decide what is the common good? This shit always has major unintended consequences. Always.
    And people who won’t act responsibly because they believe they only have freedoms, no responsibilities, will do more harm to freedom than anyone else.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited March 2020
    HHusky said:

I guess what we're talking about is how far the police powers are to be extended in times of mass public panic.

There has always been, and will always be, tension between individual liberties and the common good. I understand the Tug Tribe views the latter with great skepticism, but it's not like we've ever had it 100% 'do what you want, when you want.'

When the national guard sets up check points to have Americans show their home address, we've passed the point of giving up a few liberties for the "common good"

Who gets to decide what is the common good? This shit always has major unintended consequences. Always.
    And people who won’t act responsibly because they believe they only have freedoms, no responsibilities, will do more harm to freedom than anyone else.
    North Korea has few covid cases and no mass shootings.

Make sure and call the police if you see your neighbor having people over or if you see any New Yorkers.

I really don't know. Who? Moreover, who gets to decide whether it's panic or legitimate concern?

Somebody? Nobody? Sometimes? Never?

I don't know. Does anyone really know where to draw the line? Were we threatened in WWII? Why did we intervene? On what basis did we compel (which is exactly what it was) 100s of thousands of US citizens to grab a gun and go oversees and die? Was a victorious Nazi Germany every really going to threaten US soil?

I'm not an epidemiologist nor a med. I haven't the qualifications to second-guess protocol in these situations. I also need some evidence to believe that the experts are conspiring with the enemy within for some ulterior motive.

I really don't know. Who? Moreover, who gets to decide whether it's panic or legitimate concern?

Somebody? Nobody? Sometimes? Never?

I don't know. Does anyone really know where to draw the line? Were we threatened in WWII? Why did we intervene? On what basis did we compel (which is exactly what it was) 100s of thousands of US citizens to grab a gun and go oversees and die? Was a victorious Nazi Germany every really going to threaten US soil?

I'm not an epidemiologist nor a med. I haven't the qualifications to second-guess protocol in these situations. I also need some evidence to believe that the experts are conspiring with the enemy within for some ulterior motive.
    The experts aren’t conspiring, but the experts don’t see the whole picture and don’t think about unintended consequences. They have a very narrow focus.

The media sees it as an opportunity. They have a vested interest in fueling the fire. Even yelling fire in a crowded theater. Whether it be ratings, relevance, or trump bashing spin, they benefit from inciting the panic.

That’s how we get to the position that stopping all economic activity is worth it if saves 1 life. After all, what If that life was a loved one of yours....

No one is conspiring, but many are seizing an opportunity to push an agenda.
    I get that.
  • georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,927 Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

How can a woman with such nice chesticles look like Gus the mule when laughing?
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,147 Standard Supporter

Baseman said:

Related to the Osmonds or the mule?

Questions we want answers to!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club

Baseman said:

wow, a Bitchfork post has made Stalin laugh out loud, for real.