Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Banks & airlines - will be in the bread line

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
No one likes the people who soak the entitlement system.

But it will be the big boys asking for a bailout first! Corporate wellfare at it's finest!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/opinion/airlines-bailout.html

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    Banks should fuck the fuck off. They are getting FREE MONEY! Fuck those guys if they fuck that up.

Airlines will bounce back eventually -this is 9/11 on a broader scale. They can withstand a 60 day'ish kind of slow down quite easily.

Cruise lines are fucked. That industry is going to be as dead as film photography and fax machines. The ripple effect will fuck over those countries reliant on tourism - which is too bad because places like Barbados and Puerto Rico have some fine trim that deserves cultural exposure.

• HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963
    Screw the cruise industry. I've never been on one of those petri dishes, but from my understanding almost all the work force aren't Americans so why bail them out?
    You have to bail out the airlines and banks, but you should force the boards and executives to take a bleach bath by crashing the stocks. Same with Boeing.

Unfortunately they won't do that because of the stock market. But its not like people own banks and airlines in their 401Ks...
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726

Screw the cruise industry. I've never been on one of those petri dishes, but from my understanding almost all the work force aren't Americans so why bail them out?
    You have to bail out the airlines and banks, but you should force the boards and executives to take a bleach bath by crashing the stocks. Same with Boeing.

Unfortunately they won't do that because of the stock market. But its not like people own banks and airlines in their 401Ks...

Absolutely. The cruise industry is fucked. They should be rebranded as Noro Virus with a splash of Corona.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963
    Boeing spent $100 billion buying back stock and went cheap on designing/building a new plane instead of spending the $40 billion it should have costed. We need the company, but fuck the stockholders that took the outsized returns for years and the execs that made those decisions.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,945

Relative to their level of essentialness as an industry, airlines are fragile as fuck.

Admittedly, that industry is among the most capital-intensive, and they are prisoners to fuel costs, which is beyond their control.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    edited March 2020

Greed is going to win regardless but in the unintended consequence category was the populist move to "limit" CEO salaries in the 90's.

So they shifted compensation to stock options thus joining the mythical shareholders in demanding quarterly profit over long term health..

It is now a perfect storm of doing everything for the daily stock price and nothing for the health of the company, which can be broken up and sold off anyway

See above. If they can't stop masturbating themselves, the big bad regulators will step in and chop off their collective C-level weenies.

Boeing spent $100 billion buying back stock and went cheap on designing/building a new plane instead of spending the $40 billion it should have costed. We need the company, but fuck the stockholders that took the outsized returns for years and the execs that made those decisions.

I gotta get this out ... I fucking hate stock buy backs. It's not real. If you and I had a business, and you wanted to sell me your share at what I thought was a discount, then I'd have some sense of it. Sure, the business could change, but I would always have a good sense of the economic value I received when buying you out for cheap.

Buybacks in the public company context is different. Again, I understand the economic justification. You're buying yourself at a discount. But that value can be wiped out by the market, for completely unrelated reasons, in a moment's time. A vapor.

If you distribute that $$ to me in the form of dividends, it's mine. I can use it however I wish. I don't know. I know the kids at Wharton would tell me it's the same - value delivery to shareholders - but if I had a choice, I would always take the cash in the form of dividends, and drop the stock buyback shit. I've never been a fan generally.
    Trump just referenced Boeing as arguably the greatest company in the world - pre-grounding that is.

Said "we're going to help Boeing."

Again, not sure there's a choice here, but there's also something to be said for corporate Darwinism. We have a system and a philosophy, but with huge, huge exceptions.

Again, Boeing's CEO's head should have rolled a long time ago. I'm sure they would scream "But but the FAA!". Well, sure.gif. But you put yourself in this situation.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Greed is going to win regardless but in the unintended consequence category was the populist move to "limit" CEO salaries in the 90's.

So they shifted compensation to stock options thus joining the mythical shareholders in demanding quarterly profit over long term health..

It is now a perfect storm of doing everything for the daily stock price and nothing for the health of the company, which can be broken up and sold off anyway

See above. If they can't stop masturbating themselves, the big bad regulators will step in and chop off their collective C-level weenies.

I'll tip the cap to Alaska Air, announced yesterday their top 2 C's are taking no salary. Maybe there's some goodies hidden somewhere, but the PR move is good.