Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Universal going direct to consumers with new releases

Comments

• DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,488
    This is awesome.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    A real hit for all minorities in Hollywood

Welcome to Trump's America
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,843
    Hmmm. Im sure the big chains like Regal will have something to say about this. But I just read the headline, so not sure.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

Hmmm. Im sure the big chains like Regal will have something to say about this. But I just read the headline, so not sure.

Fascinslee just closed Regal down, temporarily. Universal might have closed them down for good. It's going to be hard to pull this one back after The Troubles are over.

salemcoog said:

Fascinslee just closed Regal down, temporarily. Universal might have closed them down for good. It's going to be hard to pull this one back after The Troubles are over.
    I was right.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-theaters-refuses-to-play-universal-movies-once-theaters-reopen
    AMC Theaters says it will no longer show Universal Pictures releases when their cinemas finally reopen due to the studio's decision to release some of their movies early to VOD rather than wait to show them in theaters.
    The major theater chain blasted Universal following a report touting how well Trolls World Tour had done on VOD and the studio saying it sees this as a roadmap for other possible releases. With movie theaters shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic -- including AMC, which closed down in mid-March -- Universal opted to release their Trolls sequel digitally this month rather than wait to release it in cinemas later in the year or next year. It was a big gamble for Universal, as theater owners fumed over the studio's decision to ditch cinemas, but it reportedly paid off big time for the studio.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,843

salemcoog said:

I was right.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-theaters-refuses-to-play-universal-movies-once-theaters-reopen
    AMC Theaters says it will no longer show Universal Pictures releases when their cinemas finally reopen due to the studio's decision to release some of their movies early to VOD rather than wait to show them in theaters.
    The major theater chain blasted Universal following a report touting how well Trolls World Tour had done on VOD and the studio saying it sees this as a roadmap for other possible releases. With movie theaters shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic -- including AMC, which closed down in mid-March -- Universal opted to release their Trolls sequel digitally this month rather than wait to release it in cinemas later in the year or next year. It was a big gamble for Universal, as theater owners fumed over the studio's decision to ditch cinemas, but it reportedly paid off big time for the studio.
    So was I, no?.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

I was right.
    So was I, no?.
    Your rightness is your own business.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    There will be a big lag time in content coming our way

A minor yet unintended consequence of Field Marshall Newsom and his shut down