Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fermented cabbage fans?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,937
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Any of you guys (and one gal) into the crunchy, hippy, organic sauerkraut in the refrigerated section of your local rich people supermarket? My gut got wrecked recently after having to take antibiotics for a week for a sinus infection that wouldn't clear. At any rate, these refrigerated krauts with no preservatives are god damned delicious. Hopefully, I won't die of botulism.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,377
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The NW sinus infection. A tradition unlike any other

That's what finally got me to quit cigarettes

But I digress
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The NW sinus infection. A tradition unlike any other

That's what finally got me to quit cigarettes

But I digress

My first one. But I'm over 40 now with 2 small children who spread plague.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kraut & me have a mutual hate. Despite my pollack genes, I just can't handle it, gives me fire shits.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kraut & me have a mutual hate. Despite my pollack genes, I just can't handle it, gives me fire shits.

Lol. I didn't know you were dumb pollack. My wife is too and hates the stuff.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2020

Any of you guys (and one gal) into the crunchy, hippy, organic sauerkraut in the refrigerated section of your local rich people supermarket? My gut got wrecked recently after having to take antibiotics for a week for a sinus infection that wouldn't clear. At any rate, these refrigerated krauts with no preservatives are god damned delicious. Hopefully, I won't die of botulism.

Honest to god, The Throbber had a sinus infection for the entire 10 years he lived on the Wet side.

GTFO of there and the pure high desert mountain air doesn't promote a petri dish of snot any longer.

Make hard boogers great again.

You guys are crazy. I moved to the east side four years ago and have had more trouble with my sinuses than anytime in the past. It's the dust. The air is full of it here. I feel it in my hair, on my skin, in my ears, and worst of all, stuck to my eye lashes.

Give me clean dampness, or even mildew dampness, any day of the week. I hate the dry. I hate rain too, but give me air and ground that gets a nice rinse every night while I sleep and I'll never move again.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Kimchi is going on top of the ramen I’m making tonight. The more the better.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can't go get ramen at Northgate anymore out of CV fear. Sad.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859

Kraut is awesome.

We can agree on that.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    chuck said:

Honest to god, The Throbber had a sinus infection for the entire 10 years he lived on the Wet side.

GTFO of there and the pure high desert mountain air doesn't promote a petri dish of snot any longer.

Make hard boogers great again.

You guys are crazy. I moved to the east side four years ago and have had more trouble with my sinuses than anytime in the past. It's the dust. The air is full of it here. I feel it in my hair, on my skin, in my ears, and worst of all, stuck to my eye lashes.

Give me clean dampness, or even mildew dampness, any day of the week. I hate the dry. I hate rain too, but give me air and ground that gets a nice rinse every night while I sleep and I'll never move again.
    That’s why the Throbber vacations in exotic warm locations regularly. Then back to booger heaven.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    easy to make your own. I have a two gallon crock - finely sliced cabbage and salt - add some other spices to get creative. Use grape leaves to cover the 'brew' only takes a couple of weeks in a cool dark place (Seattle?).

Refrigerate when its ripe.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    When I resided in Portland for a bit, our neighbor made an assload of sauerkraut every year in a couple big wood barrels. He made a spicy one and a regular one. When he made a delivery, I'd sit down with a quart jar of the spicy batch and eat the whole fucking thing. It was simply the best 'kraut I ever had.

Kimchi is also high on my list of delicious items. I'll eat the fuck out of anything to do with cabbage.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444

Have you tried OlyKraut?

Smoke and Kale is good if you like jalepano/chipotle in your kraut.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595
    Kraut is my number one dieting food.

My office right now thinks I'm nuts.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    that kraut is excellent. also try the beets. both great for dieting.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

I can't go get ramen at Northgate anymore out of CV fear. Sad.
    Just make your own. It’s cheap and easy. Hardest part is snagging some legit noodles, but there’s plenty of Asian markets around to hook that up.

Then just heat up some chicken thighs in a pan with a little olive oil, and deglaze the pan with wine when they’re done. Add in some chicken stock, call it 2 cups or half a box they sell in the store, and maybe a little soy and rice vinegar. I’ve got a red wine version where I toss in a pad of butter to get a richer sauce, and a white wine version that is a bit lighter and brighter. Either way you get all the wine flavor mixing with the fond from the chicken. Welcome to flavor town.

Meanwhile, while that chicken is going, boil water for the noodles (how ever much you need for the crowd you’re feeding). I double the recommended water to have extra broth and to dilute the broth a little, I’m gonna add a fuck ton of flavor later...

I microplane a bunch of fresh ginger (hardest part of the whole process) into the water and boil it with the noodles, and crush up a few cloves of garlic and toss those in there too towards the end once the noodles are in the boiling water.

Once the noodles are cooked, kill the heat, and dump in the pan sauce you’ve made from the chicken drippings. Hit it with a few drops of sesame oil too. Get some giant bowls and serve it up. Serve the noodles first and add broth on top to save yourself a fucking mess.

Slice up the chicken into small bite sized chunks and distribute accordingly. If you have a hard boiled egg, halve it and toss it in. I serve it with a healthy portion of sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Kimchi goes on top at the very end to keep it from cooking too much in the broth while you build.

Super filling and soothing on a cold day, and aside from all that sodium, relatively healthy. Skip the soy and ditch the flavor packet in the noodles if you’re really worried about it.