Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lead by example. Do not panic.

HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
President: I'm visiting the CDC for a formal update on the CV.
CDC: We may have an employee infected with CV
President: Fuck that not going anywhere near that shit. I'm damn near 80yo.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-why-trump-cancel-cdc-8bfb68e9-5b32-4238-accf-c39f87bcf637.html

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,072
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-why-trump-cancel-cdc-8bfb68e9-5b32-4238-accf-c39f87bcf637.html

That's not what your link says
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    "If he wants to minimize the spread and minimize the electoral fallout, he should err on the side of encouraging people to believe the outbreak will be larger than expected, not smaller.

I’m still not convinced, though, that he sees this chiefly as a public health issue instead of a stock-market issue. If you’re worried about an epidemic, you have every reason to argue against complacency. You want to spook people into taking precautions. If you’re worried about a downturn in the Dow, however, then you don’t want to spook anyone. To the contrary, you might try happy talk to restore investors’ complacency, er, I mean confidence. (It’s not working, as a look at the markets today will show you.)"

Under promise, over deliver, was not a part of the art of making the deal. But his campaign might be well served if he starts acknowledging that the spread is real, and yeah, it's not his administration's fault. Or he can roll the dice and hope this resolves itself by November, while encouraging the populace to engage in activity that's only more likely to increase the spread.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Owl: I love to swallow like a bitch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-to-visit-cdc-on-friday-after-reversing-decision-to-cancel/ar-BB10PLkW
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    An allegedly great president revered by many to this day once said that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

That is playing out before our eyes to the detriment of the market and employees who can't afford to sit home.

I'll take Trump's instincts over the standard political response to cover your ass by joining the panic.

I don't think anyone here makes their plans based on the words of the president regardless of who he is

I thought the public was tired of this kind of attack. Staff?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,765
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Last I checked, Trump isn't a doctor, nor an Infectious Disease expert.

Not that it matters to anyone, but I'll go with what the CDC and Docs are saying, and take the Prez's words with a grain of salt.

It's not that hard.
  • Options

An allegedly great president revered by many to this day once said that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

That is playing out before our eyes to the detriment of the market and employees who can't afford to sit home.

I'll take Trump's instincts over the standard political response to cover your ass by joining the panic.

I don't think anyone here makes their plans based on the words of the president regardless of who he is

The amount of spin you're able to conjur up for anything Trump is actually fucking impressive.

Personally I see "trying to calm public hysteria and stabilize the markets so to better my chances of reelection" where you see "instincts" (whatever the fuck that means), but those are just slightly different readings of the situation.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The amount of spin you're able to conjur up for anything Trump is actually fucking impressive.

Personally I see "trying to calm public hysteria and stabilize the markets so to better my chances of reelection" where you see "instincts" (whatever the fuck that means), but those are just slightly different readings of the situation.
    Calming public hysteria and stabilizing the markets actually helps people

I'm not spinning. Its a fact. The spin is to stop his re election which is patently obvious based on the amount of fear for something that might happen maybe someday

You want to panic go ahead. You want to live on every word Trump says have at it

I'll continue to be the voice of reason
  • Options

Easy Turbo! One man's Freedom Fighter is another's Terrorist. There's no recipe yet, so use your critical thinking. Most everything we're hearing is opinion and approximation, not facts, because they're still rolling in.
  • Options

I'm not spinning. Its a fact. The spin is to stop his re election which is patently obvious based on the amount of fear for something that might happen maybe someday

You want to panic go ahead. You want to live on every word Trump says have at it

Of course it helps people. What is the CDC recommending? Trump should echo that message.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2020
    https://foxnews.com/politics/trump-cancels-trip-to-cdc-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Well we? did something.

The bill will fund the development of vaccines, medications to treat the disease and diagnostic tests all while helping state and local governments -- and foreign governments -- fight the coronavirus, which causes a disease officially known as COVID-19.

“We’re doing well, but it’s an unforeseen problem,” the president said as he signed the legislation in the White House's Diplomatic Reception Room. He made the comments before departing for Tennessee to tour damage from tornadoes that struck the state earlier this week.

"I don't think they're panicking," Trump said at the bill signing. "It'll go away."

"I think financial markets will bounce back," Trump said as markets were down over 700 points already Friday morning. "They were up 70 percent so it's a relatively small piece. I don't like to see it happen because I was looking for 30,000 relatively soon."
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Of course it helps people. What is the CDC recommending? Trump should echo that message.
    Despite trying to avoid excess virus coverage I can't. The CDC and other public health recommendations are widely available
  • Options
    With so many boomers on the verge of retirement, why would anyone be concerned about the Stock Market?

Immoral Capitalist Fucking Wall Street Pigs!!!! #HateBoomers
  • Options

Despite trying to avoid excess virus coverage I can't. The CDC and other public health recommendations are widely available
    POTUS doesn't need to convey accurate messaging, the media has that covered.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm a hand washer anyway. I don't want the regular old flu or colds.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://foxnews.com/media/risk-of-coronavirus-remains-low-most-people-will-not-need-hospitalization

The risk of contracting coronavirus remains low for most Americans, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams reassured Friday.

In an interview on "America's Newsroom" with host Laura Ingle, Adams said that the administration wants the public to know the risk of infection and be prepared, but not to panic in the process.

"What you're going to hear from the president is what you've heard from him all along: that the risk to the average American of coronavirus at this time remains low," he said. "However, we are seeing pockets in this country of increased cases of coronavirus. And so, we want people to prepare."

Adams advised that Americans wash their hands frequently, cover a cough or sneeze, clean surfaces, and stay home if sick.

That said, Adams warned that wearing a mask was not just ineffective, it was potentially harmful and may increase the risk of getting the virus.

"We know that masks are not effective for the general public in keeping them safe from coronavirus and may actually increase their risk of getting coronavirus or the flu because if you don't wear a mask properly you often will end up touching your face frequently and can increase your risk of exposure to a respiratory disease," he explained.

"When you look at the people who are getting coronavirus, 80 percent of them are not needing to be hospitalized," Adams continued. "They're having a mild illness like the cold or like a minor flu."

"Of the 20 percent who go on to need hospitalization or more medical care, we know that the folks who are most at risk tend to be people who are elderly and people who have medical problems: heart disease, lung disease, cancer, and chemotherapy," he told Ingle.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    One difference with this generation is that they DO fear, fear itself.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,088
    DJDuck said:

One difference with this generation is that they DO fear, fear itself.

They were fucking raised that way.

Falling ass over teakettle across the handlebars, skinning one's palms playing smear the queer on the blacktop and understanding that you may be the toughest kid on your block but you'll never win a fight with a car had its merits.