Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

70s Schlock: A decade of greatness

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,883
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Uh....Dan Hartman hit in 1984 with that song.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,449
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you dont confuse the 70s and 80s you weren't there
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Paul wrote a lot of 70's schlock but I think Silly Love Songs takes the cake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK5oJcn99d4
  • Options
    dnc said:

If you dont confuse the 70s and 80s you weren't there
    The 1870's and 80's or the 1970's and 80's?

I think Race was pretty clear. If you don't confuse the 1870s and the 1980s then you weren't there.

To be fair, @RaceBannon used to shake his groove thing at ΣΤΥΔΙΟ LIV

• Options
    Yousef_#1UberDriverYousef_#1UberDriver Member Posts: 57
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Take Uber ride with PurpleBaze. He plays Smoke on the Water on a loop!
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Ebony and Ivory far, far worse.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    SFGbob said:

Say Say Say what you want....

But you’re not wrong.

“Paul, I’m a lover not a fighter” might be the faggiest riff of all faggy riffs ever.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It seems to ne like the McCartney songs mentioned (extremely faggy btw) were 80s not 70s, aside from Silly Love Songs.

I grew up on 70s schlock, or at least I'd call much of it that now. Elvis, Rod Stewart, the BeeGees, the cats in the cradle, Wildfire, and so on. I came out of it not liking but at least able to tolerate some of the chick singers like Joan Baez, Carly simon, Carol King, and even Linda Ronstadt (who I mostly just wanted to bed). I liked Cat Steven's and Jim Croce OK, but they were too hippy for Mom so she didn't play them as much.

The amazing thing to me later on was how much awesome rock i was missing thanks to my mom and her shit vinyl collection. I didn't even know until I was an adult that my dad actually listened to good music all that time.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Save it for the early 80s schlock thread.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

It seems to ne like the McCartney songs mentioned (extremely faggy btw) were 80s not 70s, aside from Silly Love Songs.

I grew up on 70s schlock, or at least I'd call much of it that now. Elvis, Rod Stewart, the BeeGees, the cats in the cradle, Wildfire, and so on. I came out of it not liking but at least able to tolerate some of the chick singers like Joan Baez, Carly simon, Carol King, and even Linda Ronstadt (who I mostly just wanted to bed). I liked Cat Steven's and Jim Croce OK, but they were too hippy for Mom so she didn't play them as much.

The amazing thing to me later on was how much awesome rock i was missing thanks to my mom and her shit vinyl collection. I didn't even know until I was an adult that my dad actually listened to good music all that time.

Cat Stevens aka @Yousef_#1UberDriver was amazing. Among the top 4 folk based singer songwriters of that era.

Paul’s early body of solo work was good through Band on the Run. Everything thereafter was schlocky crap.

The best solo album by a Beatle is All Things Must Pass and it’s not even close.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Cat Stevens aka @Yousef_#1UberDriver was amazing. Among the top 4 folk based singer songwriters of that era.

Paul’s early body of solo work was good through Band on the Run. Everything thereafter was schlocky crap.

The best solo album by a Beatle is All Things Must Pass and it’s not even close.
    Solid choice, but I favor Plastic Ono, imagine, and even double fantasy (just ignore everything with Yoko's name or voice in it).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Plastic Ono and Imagine were amazing records. My opinion, however, is that George had more classic songs on his first than either of those two. Now if John had done a double album to debut i would probably feel differently.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,116
    Founders Club

Plastic Ono and Imagine were amazing records. My opinion, however, is that George had more classic songs on his first than either of those two. Now if John had done a double album to debut i would probably feel differently.

A Beatles scholar I used to listen to said that George coming out with the debut double album was a FUCK YOU to John and Paul
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think the worst was Stewart getting into discoish music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hphwfq1wLJs