Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

FINALLY! Trump To Withhold Federal Funding From Sanctuary Cities

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hilarious that the dumb fucking Dems are making states rights arguments, after spending the last 40 years shitting all over any Red State that tried to assert them.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Not hilarious that conservatives are suddenly against states rights after spending the last 160 years supporting them?

We're living in the upside down.

When Rat party members stood in the school house doorway I didn't support it. Now when they thumb their nose at Federal law, I don't support it. State's have no authority over immigration issues. That's a section of the law left solely to the Federal government. Are some people above the law? State's Rights never involved areas of the law that are solely the purview of Federal Government.

Hardly shocking that someone so ignorant of black voters isn't aware of this.
    Don't see the issue spelled out right there, do you?

While I haven't dug into every Sanctuary City's policies, the few I've looked at is almost entirely virtue signaling by the Proggies in charge locally. The city cannot change federal law, nor absolve anyone from violations thereof. All they are really tangibly doing is cutting funding from enforcing federal immigration law: no city cops on immigration cases, not tracking immigration status with city resources, etc. It's good local politics, or at least that's what these city councils think, but bad policy. It results in instances like Border Patrol SWAT units being off the border and used to run immigration arrests within cities, because ICE doesn't have local police support. However, I haven't read a good explanation of how this, strictly speaking, is illegal.

A nuance lost here on the Proggy crowd that supports sanctuary cities, but decries the withdrawal of federal funds: The power that can give you a lot can take away a lot.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter

Local control of education versus federal control

Legitimate debates on non racist issues have been quashed by associating them with the racists that cried state's rights

We are so far into federal control of everything that the left backtracking to deny the rights of citizens in favor of illegals is jarring

Federalism is the better term for all this.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

I was never for State's Rights

That wasn't a conservative issue not that I am a conservative. It was a racist's issue.

Not everything is everybody does it equally

The people I supported back in the day who now support state's rights and illegals over citizens are hurting minorities and white workers the most. The very people the democrats claim to help.

And the people that Trump is helping.

You don't believe that a state should be able to set their own drinking age? How about gun laws? Should some states be able to allow concealed carry?
    Should some states be allowed to ignore the 2nd amendment and take your guns?

Like I said the name state's rights is so associated with racists that it should be retired with Jim Crow

There are things legitimately left to the states.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hilarious that the dumb fucking Dems are making states rights arguments, after spending the last 40 years shitting all over any Red State that tried to assert them.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Not hilarious that conservatives are suddenly against states rights after spending the last 160 years supporting them?

When Rat party members stood in the school house doorway I didn't support it. Now when they thumb their nose at Federal law, I don't support it. State's have no authority over immigration issues. That's a section of the law left solely to the Federal government. Are some people above the law? State's Rights never involved areas of the law that are solely the purview of Federal Government.

While I haven't dug into every Sanctuary City's policies, the few I've looked at is almost entirely virtue signaling by the Proggies in charge locally. The city cannot change federal law, nor absolve anyone from violations thereof. All they are really tangibly doing is cutting funding from enforcing federal immigration law: no city cops on immigration cases, not tracking immigration status with city resources, etc. It's good local politics, or at least that's what these city councils think, but bad policy. It results in instances like Border Patrol SWAT units being off the border and used to run immigration arrests within cities, because ICE doesn't have local police support. However, I haven't read a good explanation of how this, strictly speaking, is illegal.

A nuance lost here on the Proggy crowd that supports sanctuary cities, but decries the withdrawal of federal funds: The power that can give you a lot can take away a lot.
    Here is what bothers me and many people I talk to

Local districts in the name of progress and sanctuary will charge illegals differently than citizens. Biden said drunk driving isn't serious enough to warrant deportation but to make sure some don't even get charge. We see folks released to commit crimes again

It's a real political issue. I know at home how much it pisses people off which is why I always talk about it. Free healthcare is another hot button. Its enough to cost the democrats power

Bernie 2016 understood his working class appeal and free shit could not work with open borders. Now he apparently doesn't give a shit

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,183 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

ICE has also started a "Flood the Streets" operation in these sanctuary cities. They are now arresting illegals outside of the court house. This is why Trump's supporters like him. He is doing what he said he would do.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/05/ice-agents-ignore-sanctuary-law-san-francisco-courthouse-arrest/

He's done or is doing pretty much everything he promised to do. Amazing given the commie resistance within our government!
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,183 Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Dealing with illegals arrested was as simple as making a phone call. Hardly a high cost item.

We had a BP agent that lived in my city and he had a take home government ride. We'd give him a call and he'd picj 'em up on his way to work! Otherwise it just took a little longer for them to pick up. Cost my ass.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,603 Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

That wasn't a conservative issue not that I am a conservative. It was a racist's issue.

The people I supported back in the day who now support state's rights and illegals over citizens are hurting minorities and white workers the most. The very people the democrats claim to help.

You don't believe that a state should be able to set their own drinking age? How about gun laws? Should some states be able to allow concealed carry?

Like I said the name state's rights is so associated with racists that it should be retired with Jim Crow

K.I.S.S. Pretty well laid out right thur for y'all.

Anything in question, let the 9 homeys in robes figure it out.

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Immigration is regulated at the federal level, chiefly under the rules established in 1952 with the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986 was enacted to curb illegal immigration, denying welfare benefits to undocumented immigrants and strengthening sanctions against employers who hire them.

The U.S. Congress has control over all immigration-related regulations, while the White House is in charge of enforcing immigration laws.

Jurisdiction and the Supremacy Clause
    The federal government's jurisdiction over immigration law has consistently been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, which has overruled attempts by state legislatures to single out immigrants. Additionally, the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution is generally interpreted to mean that federal laws trump state laws, except for certain matters constitutionally left to the states.

Sorry, you were saying?
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

When Rat party members stood in the school house doorway I didn't support it. Now when they thumb their nose at Federal law, I don't support it. State's have no authority over immigration issues. That's a section of the law left solely to the Federal government. Are some people above the law? State's Right never involved areas of the law that are solely the purview of Federal Government.
    I don't disagree.

I also think when the states won't support the rights of "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" for certain individuals in their purvey then it's the federal governments right (and responsibility) to step in and enforce those rights.

Which pretty much ends the vast majority of states rights issues historically.
    @dnc, you're confusing the Constitution's language with the Declaration of Independence. Two vastly different documents. Two vastly different purposes.

C'mon @dnc. You're better than that.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Sanctuary cities aren't about fucking states rights or the Constitution. They are about showing how compassionate they are by sticking it to Trump.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

When Rat party members stood in the school house doorway I didn't support it. Now when they thumb their nose at Federal law, I don't support it. State's have no authority over immigration issues. That's a section of the law left solely to the Federal government. Are some people above the law? State's Right never involved areas of the law that are solely the purview of Federal Government.
    I don't disagree.

I also think when the states won't support the rights of "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" for certain individuals in their purvey then it's the federal governments right (and responsibility) to step in and enforce those rights.

@dnc, you're confusing the Constitution's language with the Declaration of Independence. Two vastly different documents. Two vastly different purposes.

The constitution is built on the foundation of the Declaration of Independence. They don’t exist independently but are forever intertwined.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Immigration is regulated at the federal level, chiefly under the rules established in 1952 with the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986 was enacted to curb illegal immigration, denying welfare benefits to undocumented immigrants and strengthening sanctions against employers who hire them.

The U.S. Congress has control over all immigration-related regulations, while the White House is in charge of enforcing immigration laws.

The federal government's jurisdiction over immigration law has consistently been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, which has overruled attempts by state legislatures to single out immigrants. Additionally, the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution is generally interpreted to mean that federal laws trump state laws, except for certain matters constitutionally left to the states.

Sorry, you were saying?
    I agree the federal government has the day so about immigration and have said zero to disagree with that.
    edited March 2020
    dnc said:

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

I don't disagree.

The constitution is built on the foundation of the Declaration of Independence. They don’t exist independently but are forever intertwined.
    Except for the Constitution being a source of binding law, and the Dec of Ind not. But aside from that.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

SFGbob said:

Lol at 18 and 21. It’s funny and horrifying.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,603 Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Lol at 18 and 21. It’s funny and horrifying.
    Mostly horrifying.

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,048 Standard Supporter
    Banning alcohol. Definitely not a part of the original Federal mandate. But notice, they didn't ban it with a Congressional law. That would have been an unconstitutional exercise of legislative power. So they got off their butts and got an actual amendment to the Constitution. Like the playbook calls for. State drinking age of 21? Again, not a federal Constitutional mandate. But now it is by Congressional law. Just like abortion. Oops, that was 5 dudes who used emanations and penumbras to dig up a super Constitutional right that can never be revisited by 5 dudes.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Sorry, you were saying?
    You're entirely missing the point. Anyone who claims to uniformly champion states' right, or oppose them, is a fucking imbecile. The "hypocrisy" charge that gets thrown around is equally stupid. There are plenty of nuanced reasons to delineate when states' rights should supersede federal intervention, and when they shouldn't. Most reasonable people would agree that the federal government has domain over immigration issues. The far left doesn't think so. That makes them fucking idiots, but neither side is being hypocritical.
    edited March 2020

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Sorry, you were saying?
    You're entirely missing the point. Anyone who claims to uniformly champion states' right, or oppose them, is a fucking imbecile. The "hypocrisy" charge that gets thrown around is equally stupid. There are plenty of nuanced reasons to delineate when states' rights should supersede federal intervention, and when they shouldn't. Most reasonable people would agree that the federal government has domain over immigration issues. The far left doesn't think so. That makes them fucking idiots, but neither side is being hypocritical.
    Please avoid using words like "nuance." Please. Too much John Kerry imagery.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

dnc said:

Hypocrisy anyone?

Sorry, you were saying?
    Please avoid using words like "nuance." Please.
    No