Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

But, but the Christian Right might do something!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,101
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:
    What does transgender athletes have to do with the Christian right?
    Nothing, but it has everything to do with mocking your irrational fear of the religious right negatively impacting your life, while the religious left continues it's dismantling of our society.

Or you could acknowledge that both are vastly overstated. You happen to represent the side that thinks transgender athletes competing as women (which is objectively fucking stupid) is "dismantling our society." Which is also objectively a fucking stupid thing to say.

How a baker refusing a cake for a gay couple, or a 14 year old "boy" winning a girl's track meet ever became the source for international outrage everywhere is hysterical. Just calm the fuck down already.
    It really does take away from stuff like transients shitting on sidewalks, illegals killing US citizens and heroin camps popping up all over the west coast.

We call that the old bait and switch/look, a squirrel approach. Very effective defection technique.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:
    Nothing, but it has everything to do with mocking your irrational fear of the religious right negatively impacting your life, while the religious left continues it's dismantling of our society.

Or you could acknowledge that both are vastly overstated. You happen to represent the side that thinks transgender athletes competing as women (which is objectively fucking stupid) is "dismantling our society." Which is also objectively a fucking stupid thing to say.

How a baker refusing a cake for a gay couple, or a 14 year old "boy" winning a girl's track meet ever became the source for international outrage everywhere is hysterical. Just calm the fuck down already.
    I think the religious left is dismantling our society and allowing trannies to compete in female sports is just a tiny part of that dismantling. And the people who are OUTRAGED over a baker refusing to bake a gay wedding cake are the Religious Left, not the religious right.

Take a look at what the religious left wants to do with the Green New Deal and then get back to me on how I'm over stating my case.
    There is a lot more nuance here than you seem to ever care to acknowledge. The gay cake is a tough issue because they were being asked to effectively participate in religious ceremony that cuts across their own beliefs. I get that ... to a point. I don't get, even to a point, the government worker who won't issue a marriage license in a state that has deemed it legal. Two different cases. I also wouldn't be terribly supportive of the Christian bakers refusing to serve gay people on any terms ... like not selling them an apple pie for a picnic. Again, nuance.

No, my kids should never have to compete with someone who is biologically a man. It's fucking stupid. I live in Seattle and don't know a single progressive who thinks that makes any sense. On the other hand, I know A LOT of right leaning people who think abortion should be illegal under all but the most limited of circumstances, and of those, almost 100% base that view on religious principle. I also know right leaning people who oppose it but think it's good policy to keep it legal and in the hands of the medical community.

• Options
    PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2020
    We have men and women divisions. Why not have "male to female" and "female to male" transgender divisions?

That will keep all records intact.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,276
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:
    When I baptize lefties they usually catch fire!

I should probably stop dunking them in gasoline.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

The transgender athlete thing is so typical of the Left not seeing the forest for the trees. We need to piss off large segments of the voting population to worry about accommodating the social justice demands of a niche of a niche of people.

I think the Right is too focused on this tiny niche too. Weº should ignore it as much as possible and stop the feedback loop.
    What tiny niche is the right focused on?
    In this case, trannies. The energy around trannies is 99.9% derived from the left & right screaming at each other over a minuscule population that matters not the slightest in the aggregate. Treat citizens as citizens, people as people, first & foremost, then deal with any outlier cases as they appear, not before.
    Agree, they matter not. Then why in the fuck are we allowing them to ruin girls sports. I'm not forcing my values on anyone else, they're forcing their values on me.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

You're still on this eh? It's a little obsessive, especially considering that it's not factually accurate to say that I have an "irrational fear" of the religious right.

I'd be as, or more, concerned if the Muslim or other religious sect ever got traction enough to legislate religious values from their own point of view. Basically, I'd rather not have to succumb to people who claim to have talked to someone in the sky who gave them the right answers that the rest of us weren't lucky enough to hear.

I'm not sure why that's been such a challenge for you to understand. You seem to take, and demand others take, an all or nothing approach. I don't like religiously pious people. Of any stripe. Period. If you don't like that I'm sorry, but it's tuff shit; it's how I see things. Given that's my take, how could I not include Christianity in the United States as but one rather significant example?

I just still don't really understand why you're worked up over this. My views on transgender have been pretty well and honestly laid out. I'm skeptical of it because I don't think we know a lot about it and I suspect, but do not know, that mental illness may be at work. And I'm well aware of the left's tendency to embrace anything and everything that they view is being oppressed or outside the norm. That's one of their things. So that's one issue. Another group, who won't rest until abortion is illegal, is another issue. And yet another group who might want to make women cover their heads and faces in the US would be another issue. I look at them independently.
    When you claim the religious right is having an negative impact on your life that's greater than what the religious left is doing then yes you have an irrational fear.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I think the religious left is dismantling our society and allowing trannies to compete in female sports is just a tiny part of that dismantling. And the people who are OUTRAGED over a baker refusing to bake a gay wedding cake are the Religious Left, not the religious right.

Take a look at what the religious left wants to do with the Green New Deal and then get back to me on how I'm over stating my case.
    There is a lot more nuance here than you seem to ever care to acknowledge. The gay cake is a tough issue because they were being asked to effectively participate in religious ceremony that cuts across their own beliefs. I get that ... to a point. I don't get, even to a point, the government worker who won't issue a marriage license in a state that has deemed it legal. Two different cases. I also wouldn't be terribly supportive of the Christian bakers refusing to serve gay people on any terms ... like not selling them an apple pie for a picnic. Again, nuance.

No, my kids should never have to compete with someone who is biologically a man. It's fucking stupid. I live in Seattle and don't know a single progressive who thinks that makes any sense. On the other hand, I know A LOT of right leaning people who think abortion should be illegal under all but the most limited of circumstances, and of those, almost 100% base that view on religious principle. I also know right leaning people who oppose it but think it's good policy to keep it legal and in the hands of the medical community.

Set aside religion, where does one draw the line of humanity? Everyone agrees taking innocent human life is wrong.

Everyone agrees a baby upon breathing oxygen is human.

Virtually everyone should agree the same baby before traveling the birth canal is human.

It becomes a very slippery slope from there to say exactly at which point it becomes human.

I'm not against abortion in all cases but being against abortion in all cases makes a hell of a lot more sense than being for abortion in all cases.
  • Options
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Set aside religion, where does one draw the line of humanity? Everyone agrees taking innocent human life is wrong.

Virtually everyone should agree the same baby before traveling the birth canal is human.

It becomes a very slippery slope from there to say exactly at which point it becomes human.

I'm not against abortion in all cases but being against abortion in all cases makes a hell of a lot more sense than being for abortion in all cases.
    Reasonable people at one time agreed the first trimester was the line of demarcation.

And I'm too lazy to look but I'm sure the extreme right then went first to the 'murder' angle and couldn't live with what the reasonable people had come up with. So then the extremists on the other side feel threatened and demand 'pro-choice' later and later and so it goes back and forth.....

Reasonable people played smear the queer. It's time to take back reasonableness which is why I think the leftists are going to get absolutely destroyed in the upcoming election.

Then I think either Ivanka's hot ass is going to run, in which case its no contest...or the Dems finally wise the fuck up and run a moderate human in 2024.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

SFGbob said:

The transgender athlete thing is so typical of the Left not seeing the forest for the trees. We need to piss off large segments of the voting population to worry about accommodating the social justice demands of a niche of a niche of people.

I think the Right is too focused on this tiny niche too. Weº should ignore it as much as possible and stop the feedback loop.
    In this case, trannies. The energy around trannies is 99.9% derived from the left & right screaming at each other over a minuscule population that matters not the slightest in the aggregate. Treat citizens as citizens, people as people, first & foremost, then deal with any outlier cases as they appear, not before.
    In principle and theory yes. But when one team is changing restrooms and athletic contests which matter to parents there is going to be a push back

It doesn't effect me and in fact I like gender neutral bathrooms because better seats for me.
    I've found that being able to use single stalled womens' restrooms when the mens' is taken, and have the defense of "don't judge me, I identify as a woman", to be a nice thing to have in the back pocket.

I haven't had to use that line yet, but I have the option, and that's what's important.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,397
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

It will be a lot more prominent when trans athletes go to the Olympics and smash all the records.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

In principle and theory yes. But when one team is changing restrooms and athletic contests which matter to parents there is going to be a push back

It doesn't effect me and in fact I like gender neutral bathrooms because better seats for me.
    I've found that being able to use single stalled womens' restrooms when the mens' is taken, and have the defense of "don't judge me, I identify as a woman", to be a nice thing to have in the back pocket.

I haven't had to use that line yet, but I have the option, and that's what's important.
    I pee in the sink.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

You're still on this eh? It's a little obsessive, especially considering that it's not factually accurate to say that I have an "irrational fear" of the religious right.

I'd be as, or more, concerned if the Muslim or other religious sect ever got traction enough to legislate religious values from their own point of view. Basically, I'd rather not have to succumb to people who claim to have talked to someone in the sky who gave them the right answers that the rest of us weren't lucky enough to hear.

I'm not sure why that's been such a challenge for you to understand. You seem to take, and demand others take, an all or nothing approach. I don't like religiously pious people. Of any stripe. Period. If you don't like that I'm sorry, but it's tuff shit; it's how I see things. Given that's my take, how could I not include Christianity in the United States as but one rather significant example?

I just still don't really understand why you're worked up over this. My views on transgender have been pretty well and honestly laid out. I'm skeptical of it because I don't think we know a lot about it and I suspect, but do not know, that mental illness may be at work. And I'm well aware of the left's tendency to embrace anything and everything that they view is being oppressed or outside the norm. That's one of their things. So that's one issue. Another group, who won't rest until abortion is illegal, is another issue. And yet another group who might want to make women cover their heads and faces in the US would be another issue. I look at them independently.
    When you claim the religious right is having an negative impact on your life that's greater than what the religious left is doing then yes you have an irrational fear.

The truth is, neither of them is having an negative impact on my life. The only thing that could directly affect me are enough socialist bananas in office to push my effective tax rate up further and make me pay more than I do for other people's shit. On that point you will never get an argument out of me.

• Options
    dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

You can't. That's the intractable issue with abortion. Any line drawn will be somewhat arbitrary. Feasibility is no good because that changes with technology, and we're talking about something more fundamental than our current ability to maintain a fetus outside the womb. Situs is no good; that's the "my body" argument. To the point you made, one second a fetus has zero rights and the next, just because of location, it has all the rights we have? Nonsense. Agreed.

But still, I believe with every fiber of my being that even the most self-righteous anti-abortion advocate inherently "feels", to borrow a popular Tug reference, different about aborting an 8 month, 15 day fetus and two-week old clump of cells.

As to your last point, I discuss this issue freely with people all the time, because I find it to be one of our more interesting moral dilemmas. Again, even the most ardent feminists in my broader social circle don't support third-trimester abortion unless the woman is absolutely going to die, and some of them struggle with it even at that point. I know there are nuts out there who think that's ok, and there are also the kids in the Atomwaffen who think gay people deserve to die. What are you going to do? There are always going to be bananas amongst us.

• Options

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Reasonable people at one time agreed the first trimester was the line of demarcation.

And I'm too lazy to look but I'm sure the extreme right then went first to the 'murder' angle and couldn't live with what the reasonable people had come up with. So then the extremists on the other side feel threatened and demand 'pro-choice' later and later and so it goes back and forth.....

Reasonable people played smear the queer. It's time to take back reasonableness which is why I think the leftists are going to get absolutely destroyed in the upcoming election.

Then I think either Ivanka's hot ass is going to run, in which case its no contest...or the Dems finally wise the fuck up and run a moderate human in 2024.

Very good points.
  • Options

You can't. That's the intractable issue with abortion. Any line drawn will be somewhat arbitrary. Feasibility is no good because that changes with technology, and we're talking about something more fundamental than our current ability to maintain a fetus outside the womb. Situs is no good; that's the "my body" argument. To the point you made, one second a fetus has zero rights and the next, just because of location, it has all the rights we have? Nonsense. Agreed.

But still, I believe with every fiber of my being that even the most self-righteous anti-abortion advocate inherently "feels", to borrow a popular Tug reference, different about aborting an 8 month, 15 day fetus and two-week old clump of cells.

As to your last point, I discuss this issue freely with people all the time, because I find it to be one of our more interesting moral dilemmas. Again, even the most ardent feminists in my broader social circle don't support third-trimester abortion unless the woman is absolutely going to die, and many of them struggle with even at that point. I know there are nuts out there who think that's ok, and there are also the kids in the Atomwaffen who think gay people deserve to die. What are you going to do? There are always going to be bananas amongst us.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,634
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I don't like kids so I'm fully pro abortion. Mandatory abortion for shitheads.

Who you may ask qualifies as a shithead? Anyone I don't like.

#communistrevolution
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

The truth is, neither of them is having an negative impact on my life. The only thing that could directly affect me are enough socialist bananas in office to push my effective tax rate up further and make me pay more than I do for other people's shit. On that point you will never get an argument out of me.

Ok, but then you just changed entirely your initial argument.

Congrats, it was a loser.
  • Options

As to your last point, I discuss this issue freely with people all the time, because I find it to be one of our more interesting moral dilemmas. Again, even the most ardent feminists in my broader social circle don't support third-trimester abortion unless the woman is absolutely going to die, and many of them struggle with even at that point. I know there are nuts out there who think that's ok, and there are also the kids in the Atomwaffen who think gay people deserve to die. What are you going to do? There are always going to be bananas amongst us.

But how do they keep bubbling up to be Democratic candidates for POTUS?

It's damned near statistically impossible.

• Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Wasn’t this country developed for religious FREEDOM??!

Worship how you want.