Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ultimate frisbee clearinghouse thread

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

When I played my specialty was long throws that I'd bend from right to left. I could aim down the right sideline and bring it back to the center with accuracy. That's what I did best in the game I played.

I broke a strap on my Teva sandals playing the game, but found I was fine playing barefoot. I also drank half a sixpack of full sail ambers while I played. I'm telling you guys this game is the shit. I'd like to see you try those stunts while playing american football.

In like 2009 or something like that, I played the best game of basketball in my entire life. Played from halftime of the Apple Cup to halftime of the Civil War (they were back to back games back then), led all scorers by a mile, nearly couldn't miss. All this having already drank two beers and then downing a 3 liter bottle of Double Bastard while playing. We were supposed to chug if the other team scored, but I was dominating, so I started chugging either way. All that beer, and I didn't even have to play zone defense once.

/csb

My buddies and I used to always smoke a bowl before hitting the park for pick up hoops. Sometimes I'd be too baked and would try to change my mind about going, but they'd drag me up there anyway. I never regretted it because I was an absolute dead eye shooter with a good buzz. Long range jumpers, floaters in the paint, off the dribble, off a pass...didn't matter. I had a decent looking jumper at all times, but really wasnt even what I'd call a decent shooter % wise, unless I was high.
    This is some epic bro nonsense. "I'm better when I'm high!" said literally no one outside of bowling and pool.
    I was making fun doovil and that was a tangent anyway. The heart of the matter here is the frisbee and I'd like to see this thread back on track.

Still it was true. I shot way better in pick up games after a bowl but motivating my stoned ass to walk to the hoops from our place on Brooklyn wasnt always a sure thing.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,870
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2020
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

When I played my specialty was long throws that I'd bend from right to left. I could aim down the right sideline and bring it back to the center with accuracy. That's what I did best in the game I played.

I broke a strap on my Teva sandals playing the game, but found I was fine playing barefoot. I also drank half a sixpack of full sail ambers while I played. I'm telling you guys this game is the shit. I'd like to see you try those stunts while playing american football.

In like 2009 or something like that, I played the best game of basketball in my entire life. Played from halftime of the Apple Cup to halftime of the Civil War (they were back to back games back then), led all scorers by a mile, nearly couldn't miss. All this having already drank two beers and then downing a 3 liter bottle of Double Bastard while playing. We were supposed to chug if the other team scored, but I was dominating, so I started chugging either way. All that beer, and I didn't even have to play zone defense once.

/csb

My buddies and I used to always smoke a bowl before hitting the park for pick up hoops. Sometimes I'd be too baked and would try to change my mind about going, but they'd drag me up there anyway. I never regretted it because I was an absolute dead eye shooter with a good buzz. Long range jumpers, floaters in the paint, off the dribble, off a pass...didn't matter. I had a decent looking jumper at all times, but really wasnt even what I'd call a decent shooter % wise, unless I was high.
    This is some epic bro nonsense. "I'm better when I'm high!" said literally no one outside of bowling and pool.
    And by the way, I'm fairly offended at the comment about bowling stoned. I would never bowl stoned. Entirely different sort of concentration required kind of like golf.

The lanes, like the golf course, are no place for that kind of fuckery. Those important discussions can wait for their own thread though, perhaps next offseason.

Everyone knows the video games at the bowling alley are where the best fun happens when baked.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited February 2020
    dtd said:

More of a frolf guy myself. Can't get (as) drunk playing ultimate.

frolf is sort of cool

UF is lame. I tried playing it for five minutes once and was just like, "This is almost as gay as hackey sack. I'm out."
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

chuck said:

/csb

I enjoyed weed and pick up basketball
    You were there, too?

Smokin weed and tossing peaches into wicker baskets, with Uncle Race!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dtd said:

frolf is sort of cool

UF is lame. I tried playing it for five minutes once and was just like, "This is almost as gay as hackey sack. I'm out."
    Hackey sack us fun if you dont suck at it. I mean it's fun for 10-15 minutes. Any more than that and you're just kind of a douche.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

dtd said:

frolf is sort of cool

Hackey sack is fun if you're a douche.
    Crispened

YW
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    CaptainPJ said:

chuck said:

dtd said:

frolf is sort of cool

Crispened

YW
    I'm inferring there are some uncoordinated oafs here who weren't able to pass a sack (or throw a frisbee most likely) and labeled those who were able douches.

But again, this is for another day. We'll address some of the other hippie "sports", and the hatred of them by generic jock wannabes, later in the series. We really need to stay focused on the frisbee here. Or just let this thread die. Up to y'all to choose.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I have a guy on staff who plays ultimate frisbee. He's getting fired soon.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Guess it's the next big thing at UW and HH, being on the cutting edge and all, should be the #1 destination for all of the fan/s. We? are in the title hunt.

I wont let you fucks on the bandwagon later. Better jump onboard now.

I can relate to what these guys go through.

Back when I was 45 and still played a lot of coed ultimate frisbee with the trustafarians and gender-neutral coeds from Humbolt State at various Seattle parks, I tore my plantar fascia sprinting to catch a disc on a winter hard sand field.

Being an athlete warrior is hard, demanding work.

UW has a top-notch sports medicine clinic though. That's where I went to get advice on my ultimate injury. I had to sit out 2 seasons (ultimate has 4 seasons in a year).

I hope the kid pulls through.

#WarriorsTogether
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Guess it's the next big thing at UW and HH, being on the cutting edge and all, should be the #1 destination for all of the fan/s. We? are in the title hunt.

Back when I was 45 and still played a lot of coed ultimate frisbee with the trustafarians and gender-neutral coeds from Humbolt State at various Seattle parks, I tore my plantar fascia sprinting to catch a disc on a winter hard sand field.

UW has a top-notch sports medicine clinic though. That's where I went to get advice on my ultimate injury. I had to sit out 2 seasons (ultimate has 4 seasons in a year).

#WarriorsTogether
    You are an inspiration my man. I almost feel like this 48 y/o body might have a few seasons left in it this year.

Question though...when playing on hard winter ground do you typically go to closed toe sandals? Crocs with the fuzzy liners? Perhaps we need an ultimate subforum here focused on equipment. Stalin?
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

#WarriorsTogether
    You are an inspiration my man. I almost feel like this 48 y/o body might have a few seasons left in it this year.

Question though...when playing on hard winter ground do you typically go to closed toe sandals? Crocs with the fuzzy liners? Perhaps we need an ultimate subforum here focused on equipment. Stalin?
    Barefoot of course.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    @Fire_Marshall_Bill, Frolf is a decent activity to drink a few beers, smoke, and catch a buzz. Used to do it a bit in college.

Never played competitive hoops high, but think I could have very easily. Always played well in pick up after a joint/blunt and agree with Chuck. I’m sure there are many NBA players that do so every game. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Klay Thompson was one of them.

Very rarely smoke or play hoops anymore so I don’t know the next time I will test it out again.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,870
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2020
    chuck said:

CaptainPJ said:

chuck said:

dtd said:

frolf is sort of cool

Crispened

YW
    I'm inferring there are some uncoordinated oafs here who weren't able to pass a sack (or throw a frisbee most likely) and labeled those who were able douches.

But again, this is for another day. We'll address some of the other hippie "sports", and the hatred of them by generic jock wannabes, later in the series. We really need to stay focused on the frisbee here. Or just let this thread die. Up to y'all to choose.
    I can't throw a frisbee worth shit and I'm relatively certain that in my youth, I could dunk over probably 95% of the poasters here and break the ankles of 100%.

Now the vertical is measured in inches instead of feet. And the only breaking would be my achillles.

That said (and Jake Browning still sucks), there is a high incidence of douche in the frisbee crowd but that doesn't mean all frisbee throwers are douches.

Especially if they brought the weed.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    edited February 2020

chuck said:

CaptainPJ said:

chuck said:

dtd said:

frolf is sort of cool

Crispened

YW

I can't throw a frisbee worth shit and I'm relatively certain that in my youth, I could dunk over probably 95% of the poasters here and break the ankles of 100%.

Now the vertical is measured in inches instead of feet. And the only breaking would be my achillles.

That said (and Jake Browning still sucks), there is a high incidence of douche in the frisbee crowd but that doesn't mean all frisbee throwers are douches.

Especially if they brought the weed.

No. All frisbee throwers are douches. GDIs to a T
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601

Ultimate frisbee would be a lot cooler if contact was allowed.

I can throw a frisbee a country mile but could never take this shit seriously. Too many IMA warriors trying too hard at a sport that's the kind of thing you play coed bc it doesn't make the girls feel bad about their lack of athleticism.

Sloshball > ultimate frisbee

If you aren't a Peter puffer
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ultimate frisbee would be a lot cooler if contact was allowed.

I can throw a frisbee a country mile but could never take this shit seriously. Too many IMA warriors trying too hard at a sport that's the kind of thing you play coed bc it doesn't make the girls feel bad about their lack of athleticism.

Sloshball > ultimate frisbee

If you aren't a Peter puffer
    Playing hockey drunk is one of the greatest joys in sports. Even more so if you get into a fight. Even better if it's your friend.

The one time some kid tried to get agro on defense in ultimate with me I stopped playing while holding the stupid frisbee & shoved him to the ground. I told him if pulled that shit again I'd smash his face in. That akward moment when he realized no one was going to stop me either bc he deserved that shit.

I wish every sport had rules for fighting written in the way hockey and rugby do even if contact isn't allowed. It might even make soccer watchable.