Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coronavirus...

2»

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Or encourage more companies to move out of China which they should anyway

Yup. Trade war has helped reduce the impact on us because it started some of that. There is still a massive amount of shit produced there though...

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because we have been told a massive epidemic is going to wipe us out about 100 times and it always proves to be bullshit. This will be no different. Worry about the flu. That’s 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times more likely to kill you. Yet people won’t get a fucking flu shot because “I got a flu shot once and got the flu”. Fuck off.

20,000,0000 cases of the flu in the USA every year with 10,000-20,000 dead.

I've never got a flu shot and never got the flu.

My Mexican Canadian genetics wins.
    I never got a flu shot and never got the flu. Until I got the flu. Fuck me and fuck that. If there is something that even has a chance to keep me from going through that again I’m in. #neverforget
    I had the #RealFlu once and it was brutal.
    Ditto. Happened a long time ago and was shocked at how much worse it was as compared to “stomach flu” and/or “24 hour flu”, neither of which are flu bugs. Real flu will make you wish for the sweet taste of death. #neverforget #flushotseveryyear.
    One of my pet peeves is when people say they had the flu when they had with food poisoning or something like the norovirus. THAT'S NOT THE FLU.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm not worried about the health effects of the virus here...I think (hope) we have enough sense on how to address it. And with most of these things they hit malnourished and the very young/very old much harder than the general population.

I am worried about the impact of what seems to be going on in China will have on the global economy. Everything points to it being a much bigger deal then they are letting on...you don't put almost 400MM people under Marshall Law unless you are worried, and you don't only have 30k cases and magically also run out of hospital beds and start housing massive amounts of folks in makeshift dorms everywhere. In one of the main manufacturing areas of the country. Supply chains are already strained from the shutdown...several SK auto factories are already planning on shutting down next week because of lack of parts and companies like Apple are warning if factories don't open in the next week or two they are going to start running out of products. Add to that the loss of oil demand which is going to dump a much more on the open market.

If things don't start back up over there in a week or two its really going to start gumming up Global Trade.

This is all true and I'm already seeing major supply chain disruptions. Know a guy that works at Johns Hopkins(and ties to the CDC) and his belief is this will not be over in a week. Think more like months. Still not enough information coming out of China to make a call.

And @RaceBannon , you don't just pack up and move full manufacturing facilities out of China overnight DF. And if they do take six months to 2 years to move it won't be to the US.
    I remember my being freak out over doomsday stories of diseases causing mass death in the USA phase.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,911

Is this the Indonesian junk that's goin' round that mama told me yes she told me about?

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,557
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because we have been told a massive epidemic is going to wipe us out about 100 times and it always proves to be bullshit. This will be no different. Worry about the flu. That’s 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times more likely to kill you. Yet people won’t get a fucking flu shot because “I got a flu shot once and got the flu”. Fuck off.

I never got a flu shot and never got the flu. Until I got the flu. Fuck me and fuck that. If there is something that even has a chance to keep me from going through that again I’m in. #neverforget
    Ditto. Happened a long time ago and was shocked at how much worse it was as compared to “stomach flu” and/or “24 hour flu”, neither of which are flu bugs. Real flu will make you wish for the sweet taste of death. #neverforget #flushotseveryyear.
    One of my pet peeves is when people say they had the flu when they had with food poisoning or something like the norovirus. THAT'S NOT THE FLU.
    And people forget that food poisoning is rarely the last thing you ate. It takes tim.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And people forget that food poisoning is rarely the last thing you ate. It takes tim.
    And people who get a flu shot and within a couple of weeks get food poisoning and insist the shot gave them the flu.