Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

But how does the FDA suck ... ?

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,757
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
... for the sole benefit of Big Pharma?

My best friend's wife (no pics) has MS. Her medicine inexplicably went from $125,000 per year to $200,000 per year. PER YEAR.

There is a new procedure that has a 90% success rate of curing her MS. It involves stem cells. Her own stem cells.

She has to spend a month in Mexico to have the treatment. At a cost of $56,000, my buddy can't write the check fast enough.

Thankfully the place in Mexico has a great relationship with OHSU and her doctor approves. The US doctor who invented the treatment is now on a speaking tour across the talking to every neurologist who will listen.

In spite of the widespread support the touring doctor is garnering, the FDA won't speed up clinical trials. It appears the clinical trials they do have are set up to fail.

It's almost like the competition to break into the $200,000 per year space is a bad thing.

But how will the Tug Commies carry water for the Big Pharma's FDA?

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing that it's capitalism to blame for big pharma. That's what I'm hearing.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2020

I'm hearing that it's capitalism to blame for big pharma. That's what I'm hearing.

I'm hearing super smart edumacated elites think capitalism and arbitrary monopolies are the same thing.

Not the case.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

I'm hearing super smart edumacated elites think capitalism and arbitrary monopolies are the same thing.

Not the case.
    Highly regulated industries help PREVENT monopolies. All the smart dems say so.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,806
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    During mean orange man's speech last night, there was a noticeable groan from the crowd when he proclaimed this:

I am calling for bipartisan legislation that achieves the goal of dramatically lowering prescription drug prices. Get a bill to my desk, and I will sign it into law without delay.

Both parties are bought and paid for by big pharma. And then follow that money to the FDA.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The FDA has killed more people then they have saved. Simple fact.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know a person who travels to Mexico for cancer treatment not available here because of FDA regulations.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,300
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    pawz said:

My best friend's wife (no pics) has MS. Her medicine inexplicably went from $125,000 per year to $200,000 per year. PER YEAR.

There is a new procedure that has a 90% success rate of curing her MS. It involves stem cells. Her own stem cells.

She has to spend a month in Mexico to have the treatment. At a cost of $56,000, my buddy can't write the check fast enough.

Thankfully the place in Mexico has a great relationship with OHSU and her doctor approves. The US doctor who invented the treatment is now on a speaking tour across the talking to every neurologist who will listen.

In spite of the widespread support the touring doctor is garnering, the FDA won't speed up clinical trials. It appears the clinical trials they do have are set up to fail.

It's almost like the competition to break into the $200,000 per year space is a bad thing.

I have had my share of the FDA approval process. It is a complete cluster fuck and you don't know when the process is going to end or how much it is going to cost you. They say it will take 2.5 years but I know several applications that are well over the 7 and 9 year mark. For those that get declined on a nonsensical technicality, the process back up the ladder takes even longer. I have spoken with people who have had their application denied and they can't even understand why. A friend works with a doctor in Houston who has figured out some sort of cure for several cancers. Documented cases of him curing stage IV lung cancer, etc. He can't get the procedure/cocktail approved. He sued and the FDA approved of him practicing his medicine but he can only take referrals, he can't advertise.

I had a customer who invented a new drug. It was to cut the amount of pain meds a person needs. It was cheap and made mostly from inerts. It was going to cost him 2.6 BILLION to get approval once it was all said and done. This is a fucked up system. His company had to overcharge for the drug for 15 years to get to payback. 15 years to make up 2.5 billion spent with the FDA to get this approved. That is one of the reasons our drugs are so expensive. When I asked him why they would spend that much for such a bad return when they know that someone will come up with something newer and better inside of 15 years, he said that once their cocktail drug is approved they can tweek the formula for decades and the process will take half as long.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

pawz said:

I have had my share of the FDA approval process. It is a complete cluster fuck and you don't know when the process is going to end or how much it is going to cost you. They say it will take 2.5 years but I know several applications that are well over the 7 and 9 year mark. For those that get declined on a nonsensical technicality, the process back up the ladder takes even longer. I have spoken with people who have had their application denied and they can't even understand why. A friend works with a doctor in Houston who has figured out some sort of cure for several cancers. Documented cases of him curing stage IV lung cancer, etc. He can't get the procedure/cocktail approved. He sued and the FDA approved of him practicing his medicine but he can only take referrals, he can't advertise.

I had a customer who invented a new drug. It was to cut the amount of pain meds a person needs. It was cheap and made mostly from inerts. It was going to cost him 2.6 BILLION to get approval once it was all said and done. This is a fucked up system. His company had to overcharge for the drug for 15 years to get to payback. 15 years to make up 2.5 billion spent with the FDA to get this approved. That is one of the reasons our drugs are so expensive. When I asked him why they would spend that much for such a bad return when they know that someone will come up with something newer and better inside of 15 years, he said that once their cocktail drug is approved they can tweek the formula for decades and the process will take half as long.
    I think we should just pass a law that makes pharmaceuticals cheaper for the consumer.

Like $100 cap of insulin. That makes sense.

I'm a man of the people.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

pawz said:

I think we should just pass a law that makes pharmaceuticals cheaper for the consumer.

Like $100 cap of insulin. That makes sense.

I'm a man of the people.
    Trump is pushing for that. Mitch is standing in the way. Both parties in Congress are saying they are working on it.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

This is almost certainly Stanislov Brzynski. There are a couple documentaries about him called Cancer is Big Business.

He figured out a way to turn certain cancer genes on/off.

The FDA has sued him and tried to throw him in jail over and over again. Exonerated everytim.

In the midst of his legal battles Big Pharma/CDC have tried to usurp/steal his patents.

People continue to die and families are bled dry of their resources when real solutions exist. I don't have enough words of contempt. It beyond disgusting.