Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PWOOF!!!

Comments

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Bryant’s height will always be an issue for him ... if he was 2-3 inches taller he’d have had a ton of offers out of HS

He will also be picked 1-2 rounds later than his talent because of his height

For as much as people like to say I’m a doog, its kinda funny to me to have people act like doogs in telling me how I’m wrong

If he was taller/big yes he would have been better and get drafted earlier... awesome hot take...

Bryant, even with his height, was very good and would fit right in on a championship CFB defense as long as he isnt asked to play Safety/Striker/OLB like he was for UW because the LBs sucked.

He was a very good slot/nickel corner that was well above average in edge/run support.
    Which all works well until a team moves a bigger WR target against Bryant and isolates the mismatch

I get that the UW offense hasn’t necessarily shown a great ability to identify and exploit mismatches as of recent years, but that is what elite offenses do
    Sounds like Zone defense at the IMA, Tequilla fucking stupid analysis.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

This PWO class is insanely big. Hopefully Jimmy is going to create a culture of competition, and a few of these guys will actually turn out to be players.

On the defense, absolutely. We had 5 PWO starting the Las Vegas Bowl with Bronson, Bowman, Ulofoshio, and Bryant on defense and Henry at PK.

On offense, we haven't seen as much, but at least they're providing depth
    Did Bronson have a scholarship at Temple or wherever he was before transferring?
    si

https://www.covingtonreporter.com/sports/josiah-bronson-signs-on-with-temple-national-signing-day/

More than 25 of Josiah Bronson’s teammates and family members gathered at the Kentwood High School library Wednesday to watch the Kentwood football player sign his letter of intent to play football at Temple University.

Bronson was rated as a three-star recruit on Rivals.com, with a gaudy 4.75 second 40-yard dash time to go with his 6-foot-5-inch, 265 pound frame. The defensive end, who finished the 2014 season as a first-team AP all-state selection at defensive end, picked the full scholarship offer from the Owls over multiple other schools, including the University of New Mexico. Bronson’s head coach, Rex Norris, said Ohio State University showed interest in Bronson, but only as a walk-on.

Temple’s defensive line coach Elijah Robinson played football with Bronson’s oldest brother, John, at Penn State University. John played in a total of three games in the NFL as a tight end for the Arizona Cardinals during the 2005 and 2006 seasons. Josiah’s other brother, Demitrius, a running back on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad during the 2014 season who recently signed a contract with the Seahawks for the 2015 season, attended Josiah’s signing celebration.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6'5", 265, 4.75 40, older brother played football at Penn State, and best offer was Temple? What the fuck am I missing!?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2020

I’ve seen Molden also get picked on by bigger WR’s quite a few times, but he doesn’t get near the flack that Bryant did.

Bryant also go better defending bigger WR’s over time. He had a great play against Drake London in the USC game on 4th down at the goal line.

We would all rather have bigger players, but Myles Bryant was an asset at UW and did a lot more good than bad. It’s a stupid narrative at this point. He balled out and was well respected by the league for his play.

He was a baller his last 2 season.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    We?ve gone through the looking glass
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    Coming in as a RB to start but might end up at LB
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    DDY approves. Must be black enough.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

6'5", 265, 4.75 40, older brother played football at Penn State, and best offer was Temple? What the fuck am I missing!?

The part where his 40 time was bullshit
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The part where his 40 time was bullshit
    Yeah most likely.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    FireCohen said:

Tequilla said:

In today’s water is wet thought ...

When you know the back half of your DB class is likely full on development, adding some additional guys that fall into that category ultimately increases the odds that the 2020 DB class is passable

There are reasons why I don’t want Myles Bryant starting on a team that I think is a National Championship contender ... but if he is the depth of that team I’m not hating life

Dude his last 2 years were good, what are you talking about? Not his fault his DC is an idiot an decided he should cover a guy that has almost a foot on him
    And who might that be?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Bryant’s height will always be an issue for him ... if he was 2-3 inches taller he’d have had a ton of offers out of HS

For as much as people like to say I’m a doog, its kinda funny to me to have people act like doogs in telling me how I’m wrong

In an athletic endeavor involving physical actions that are done more easily, more consistently or even at all with the benefit of height, height, itself, is part of the talent equation.

There are no "talented"5'11" centers in basketball.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

If he was taller/big yes he would have been better and get drafted earlier... awesome hot take...

Bryant, even with his height, was very good and would fit right in on a championship CFB defense as long as he isnt asked to play Safety/Striker/OLB like he was for UW because the LBs sucked.

He was a very good slot/nickel corner that was well above average in edge/run support.
    I can't think of a top 10 defense on which he'd be penciled in as a starter. Nickel/slot, sure, if there were nobody else.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

I can't think of a top 10 defense on which he'd be penciled in as a starter. Nickel/slot, sure, if there were nobody else.
    He's been a starter on a top 10 defense, you twat.
    I meant defense on a Top 10 team. Unit rankings don't mean anything. I'm sure he could start for UAB, San Diego State and Buffalo. JFC. I'm sure he'd find his way onto the field for the #2 defense in the country from the P12 south as well. Of course, none of us believed they were really worth a shit, but there you have it. Rankings don't lie.

A top 10 team is a different matter. Which of the following teams is he a shoe-in to start for:

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

In an athletic endeavor involving physical actions that are done more easily, more consistently or even at all with the benefit of height, height, itself, is part of the talent equation.

The assumption you need to defend here is that the actions of a nickel corner in college football are ones that most of the time favor height over other attributes. There are freaks, sure, but in the real world there is a tradeoff for everything. It's the sum total of the parts that matter. If Myles Bryant could be 7'2" 320 pounds and otherwise exactly the same player that he is, would he be better? Of course! But that's not how this works. Perhaps the lack of height that is a liability at times allows him to move in ways that made him the spread-killing nickel corner and safety that he was? Who knows.

Your question of whether he would start for a top-ten team (I see three or four on which he might if given a fair shot, btw) is a much better argument, as it's a comparison of relative overall talent instead of focused on one physical attribute.

We can bitch all we want about young receivers not getting a fair shot on this team, but you'd have to be an idiot to try making the case that Bryant only started on defense due to seniority, as that defensive backfield had two true freshmen starting on it this year. Guys that Bryant has kept off the field the last two seasons are 6'2" Keith Taylor and 6'3" Dominique Hampton. He also kept slightly bigger 4-star corner and new hotness Elijah Molden on the bench for a few years. This happened because the coaches working with them thought he was--as an overall package on the field--better.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

The assumption you need to defend here is that the actions of a nickel corner in college football are ones that most of the time favor height over other attributes. There are freaks, sure, but in the real world there is a tradeoff for everything. It's the sum total of the parts that matter. If Myles Bryant could be 7'2" 320 pounds and otherwise exactly the same player that he is, would he be better? Of course! But that's not how this works. Perhaps the lack of height that is a liability at times allows him to move in ways that made him the spread-killing nickel corner and safety that he was? Who knows.

Your question of whether he would start for a top-ten team (I see three or four on which he might if given a fair shot, btw) is a much better argument, as it's a comparison of relative overall talent instead of focused on one physical attribute.

We can bitch all we want about young receivers not getting a fair shot on this team, but you'd have to be an idiot to try making the case that Bryant only started on defense due to seniority, as that defensive backfield had two true freshmen starting on it this year. Guys that Bryant has kept off the field the last two seasons are 6'2" Keith Taylor and 6'3" Dominique Hampton. He also kept slightly bigger 4-star corner and new hotness Elijah Molden on the bench for a few years. This happened because the coaches working with them thought he was--as an overall package on the field--better.
    That's not my assumption so I needn't defend it. Of course, twitch and hips and all that shit matter ... a lot. But every coach in the US wants length. Sure, the premium on that for nickel guys is different.

I always assume the guys on the field are better than the guys not on the field, until it's proven otherwise (which, as we well know with some of the receivers, happens).

I don't know what the seniority argument is. That's presumably for someone else. I think Bryant is fine, but he's not a nationally elite defensive back. I don't know that he'd crack the starting lineup at Oregon. Who would he bump?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's not my assumption so I needn't defend it.

In a discussion about Myles Bryant's height impacting the impression many have of him as a football player, you responded with "In an athletic endeavor involving physical actions that are done more easily, more consistently or even at all with the benefit of height, height, itself, is part of the talent equation.

There are no "talented"5'11" centers in basketball."

Either this was a non sequitur that you typed for the fun of it, or your implication is that playing hybrid corner/safety in a base-nickel defense, as Myles Bryant does and almost certainly would at the NFL level or for any top-10 college team, is such an endeavor where height is a prerequisite for talent.

Of course, twitch and hips and all that shit matter ... a lot. But every coach in the US wants length. Sure, the premium on that for nickel guys is different.

Which is exactly Teq's point. He basically stated exactly this, followed by this being the reason Bryant will be valued below his talent level. You countered by way of analogy that, in certain endeavors at least, height IS talent, or at least a prohibitively important component. To which I responded that, while this is true, one then must prove that playing Bryant's position is such an endeavor or else a point really hasn't been made. In other words, "The coaches aren't wrong about knocking Bryant for his height because coaches want height" is a tautological argument.

I always assume the guys on the field are better than the guys not on the field, until it's proven otherwise (which, as we well know with some of the receivers, happens).

I don't know what the seniority argument is. That's presumably for someone else. I think Bryant is fine, but he's not a nationally elite defensive back. I don't know that he'd crack the starting lineup at Oregon. Who would he bump?

This was me just trying to head that argument off that pass. My point was that, barring some kind of criticism of the staff's choice of playing him, Bryant has already proven to be better than players much taller and more highly rated than him. I think if he were given a fair chance at a top-10 program, I don't see why it's impossible he would do the same there. Hell, Ern's point that he did, indeed, start on a top-10 defense shouldn't be so casually dismissed.

And I watched exactly one play of Oregon football this year, on the shitter at Home Depot, so I can't answer that last question.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Nickel/Slot is a starter for nearly all teams these days...