Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW should be taking a 2nd QB for 2021

Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,292
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Our 2020 depth is already pretty thin with only 3 scholarship guys, unless we get a late transfer, which would definitely help. Best case scenario is Sirmon wins the job, Morris and Garbers stay.

But if Garbers or Morris win the job, we already know there's a good chance Sirmon transfers, leaving us with two freshman QBs.

Sirmon - RS Sophomore
Morris - RS Freshman
Garbers - Freshman

Assuming they all stay

Sirmon - RS Junior
Morris - RS Sophomore
Garbers - RS Freshman/Sophomore
Huard - Freshman

If Sirmon or whoever keeps the job, we could be fine, but seems likely that whoever isn't playing between Morris/Sirmon will transfer.

If Huard wins the job as a freshman, as a lot of us hope, two of them could transfer and we could be pretty fucked with depth. I don't have to map out the '22 and '23 depth charts to show how bad that could look. Garbers seems like someone who would be pretty committed to sticking it out, since he committed after Sam, but you can never count on a QB to stay.

You can always try to band-aid the depth with transfers, but that isn't always an option. With all the QB transfers in CFB taking 1 QB a year isn't enough.

We really need to take someone who's okay being the 2nd QB behind Sam, and won't immediately transfer if he doesn't play. I haven't watched many other '21 QBs but there's always some decent 3* QBs from California, maybe someone who develops late, and we need to be recruiting them.

Comments

• Options
    proofproof Member Posts: 278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Imagine getting Millen and Huard.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    What the over under on number of games until Garbers is named the starter and Sirmon portals himself again?

5 seems about right.

Morris leaves after the season.

This is the age of the quick portal, QB depth is a thing of the past.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,181
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can Huard graduate early?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Emoterman said:

Where does all the dooging for Garbers come from? Sirmon and Morris were both more highly rated than him AND they're local kids. Is it merely a case of perpetually hating the players presently on the roster/NYWBSism?

FWIW Garbers is higher than either of them on Rivals
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2020
    garbers is more of a hope thing i think.

Sirmon was a head case and i was unimpressed when I watched him in high school. He does have a cannon so I would love it if he put it all together.

Morris never impressed me in the limited times I watched him in high school. And his arm is not good.

Garbers I never watched play unless I watched red man highlights and thought he’s fine. I hope he is better than the other two. That’s all I got.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Emoterman said:

Where does all the dooging for Garbers come from? Sirmon and Morris were both more highly rated than him AND they're local kids. Is it merely a case of perpetually hating the players presently on the roster/NYWBSism?

1) All QBs suck until they don’t

2) whatever will generate the most chaos/controversy will occur in the QB room.

Therefore

Garbers starts mid season
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

garbers is more of a hope thing i think.

Sirmon was a head case and i was unimpressed when I watched him in high school. He does have a cannon so I would love it if he put it all together.

Morris never impressed me in the limited times I watched him in high school. And his arm is not good.

Garbers I never watched play unless I watched red man highlights and thought he’s fine. I hope he is better than the other two. That’s all I got.

Garbers throwing for a ton of yards on an undefeated high school team means something. It’s never a sure thing, but production in a tough league like that normally transfers to the next level.

I really do think he will start at some point next year, if not game one. The coaches will have a quick hook at QB if one of the other two struggle. We’ll know a little more after Spring Ball.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    Standard Supporter
    Contrary to popular belief, there is something beyond height and arm strength. Let's call it... "being a quarterback". Includes vision, knowing where your WRs will be, and putting touch on the ball. Eason sucked at this. Garbers just might have it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    TTJ said:

Contrary to popular belief, there is something beyond height and arm strength. Let's call it... "being a quarterback". Includes vision, knowing where your WRs will be, and putting touch on the ball. Eason sucked at this. Garbers just might have it.

You must have loved this guy.

Nope. He was horrible at the things I mentioned.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    the only thing we really now about Sirmon as a QB is that nothing Pete put in place for the offense seemed to ever take into consideration the skills and liabilities of his individual playmakers - it was all about the chart and the system.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    I think it's fair to say it will be a full on competition for starter and that no one would bet the house on any of the 3 at this point. Sirmon looked pretty blah for the few snaps he had this year though.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

You must have loved this guy.

After watching Eason have some of these moments, I'm convinced it was more coaching and less player.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,292
    edited December 2020
    But who could have seen this coming? Things change!

at least John Don has 2022 figured out, right?

oh

Can't wait to start a walk-on when Huard gets hurt!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Offer Justyn Martin please!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Winder if we reach the olive branch out to Hugh by offering Cale a transfer spot
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    Swaye's Wigwam

Winder if we reach the olive branch out to Hugh by offering Cale a transfer spot

I asked about him on the Quook board. Sounds like he's been dinged up and is somehow even worse than Chuck.