Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

GAO HIT PIECE on TRUMP GETS IT WRONG

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited January 2020 in Tug Tavern
A “BRIEF PAUSE” IS NOT WITHHOLDING NOR DEFERRAL

The GAO accuses the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) of violating the Budget Control and Impoundment Act. Specifically, GAO says that the Trump Administration violated the terms of a deferral under 2 U.S. Code.§ 684.Proposed deferrals of budget authority.

President Trump is accused of “withholding” funds appropriated by Congress as a gift to Ukraine for 58 days. The Budget Control and Impoundment Act regulates some of the federal budgeting process.

Now mind you the Congress has not complied with the federal budgeting process for years. When it comes to violating the Budget Control Act, the Congress is in a stupor in a heroin den while Trump is accused of jay-walking.

The Act (among many other things) allows the Administration to cancel (rescind) a federal appropriation or to defer an expenditure. So the President does have the power to rescind or defer. But the Act does requires that the President notify Congress under 2 U.S. Code § 684 if the Administration proposes to (1) rescind an appropriation or (2) defer the spending of federal appropriations.

The GAO alleges that Trump’s OMB deferred our gift to Ukraine but didn’t notify Congress. The GAO also alleges that the OMB did not have a permissible reason for a deferral. However, the GAO also whines a lot about wanting more information. So the GAO admits (if you really read between the lines) that they don’t actually know what they are claiming. They are going with the information they have, which they admit is not enough.”

https://canadafreepress.com/article/gao-hit-piece-on-trump-gets-it-wrong

“Federal funds are never spent the day that Congress votes.
There is no deadline for the spending of federal appropriations unless explicitly specified.
There are dozens sometimes hundreds of steps required by the bureaucracy from the time that Congress votes and the President signs a spending bill until the money actually goes out the door. That’s the norm.
There can be many months or years before money is actually sent to the recipient, sometimes in installments.
The processing time by the bureaucracy is not a standard or known length of time. There is no expectation that money will go out the door at any particular time. Just because Congress appropriated funds doesn’t create any expectation for when money will get distributed (unless Congress adds a deadline).
Deferral does not mean just the processing time within the bureaucracy
Deferral is an intentional act—not we are working on it, gives us a moment.”

Comments

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,305
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The timing of the GAO's bullshit is as obvious as the cavernous brainless cave above Owl's shoulders.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Was anyone dumb enough to fall for this?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Point of agreement! If you needed the GAO to tell you Daddy violated the law in question, you really haven't been paying attention. This was obvious four months ago.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    HHusky said:

Point of agreement! If you needed the GAO to tell you Daddy violated the law in question, you really haven't been paying attention. This was obvious four months ago.
    So accountants are now more authoritative on the law than attorneys.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834

Still waiting for someone to tell me what crime Trump committed. The GAO claim is pure BS.

The so-called attorney in this forum has been asked that question for months but refuses to cite US Criminal code or statute.

• Options
    Supposed ambulance chaser attempts poor imitation of Constitutional scholar.😂
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    If I were cocaine Mitch, I would call one witness - Schiff. I would ask one question, "What crime did Trump commit?" Give the Schiffster five minutes. Then vote.
  • Options
    “In any event, even if the GAO were correct in its legal conclusion — which it is not— the alleged violation would be neither a crime nor an impeachable offense. It would be a civil violation subject to a civil remedy, as were the numerous violations alleged by the GAO with regard to other presidents. Those alleged violations were barely noted by the media. But in the hyper-partisan impeachment atmosphere, this report received breathless "breaking news" coverage and a demand for inclusion among the articles of impeachment.

If Congress and its GAO truly believe that President Trump violated the law, let them go to court and seek the civil remedy provided by the law. But let us not continue to water down the constitutional criteria for impeachment by including highly questionable, and on my view wrongheaded, views about violations of an unconstitutional civil law.”Alan Dershowitz
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Still waiting for someone to tell me what crime Trump committed. The GAO claim is pure BS.

The so-called attorney in this forum has been asked that question for months but refuses to cite US Criminal code or statute.

GAO released the code. And your head is still buried in the sand. Even in the face of the answer.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Obstruction of Congress. Oh, wait.
  • Options

Someone had to ask this disingenuous question. Those of you who wagered it would be Gasbag, please come to the window and collect your money.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    The GAO comment is BS. Ball is still in your court, counselor. I pity your clients.
  • Options

The GAO comment is BS. Ball is still in your court, counselor. I pity your clients.

Federalist #65, Gasbag.
  • Options

You want to know what part of the code was violated. When told, your news source says it's BS so you believe it. What a sheep you are.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    2001400ex said:

You want to know what part of the code was violated. When told, your news source says it's BS so you believe it. What a sheep you are.
    In the GOP, perjury concerning the President's sexual encounters is a threat to the Republic. The President withholding funds intended to assist a US ally in its defense against a foreign enemy as part of an extortion scheme to retain power is no big deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Supposed Ambulance chaser HUDS, puts his spin that is worthy of his “Gentle Giant” bullshit tale .😂😂😂
  • Options
    “In any event, even if the GAO were correct in its legal conclusion — which it is not— the alleged violation would be neither a crime nor an impeachable offense. It would be a civil violation subject to a civil remedy, as were the numerous violations alleged by the GAO with regard to other presidents. Those alleged violations were barely noted by the media. But in the hyper-partisan impeachment atmosphere, this report received breathless "breaking news" coverage and a demand for inclusion among the articles of impeachment.

If Congress and its GAO truly believe that President Trump violated the law, let them go to court and seek the civil remedy provided by the law. But let us not continue to water down the constitutional criteria for impeachment by including highly questionable, and on my view wrongheaded, views about violations of an unconstitutional civil law.”Alan Dershowitz
  • Options
    DJDuck said:
    Opinion: yes I'm sure people who don't like it have the opinion the conclusion is wrong. For example, you have the opinion that Biden is a criminal.