Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jimmy Lake didn’t make flashy hires. But are they the right hires?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,374 Founders Club
edited January 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
"And, like Petersen in 2006, Lake has made some nontraditional hires. The flashy pick for offensive coordinator would have been Joe Moorhead or Mark Helfrich or Todd Monken or Chip Long, not Jacksonville Jaguars assistant running-backs coach John Donovan. The flashy pick for defensive-backs coach would have been Cal’s Gerald Alexander, not Vanderbilt’s Terrence Brown. The flashy pick for tight-ends coach would have been former UW quarterback and current Cal tight-ends coach Marques Tuiasosopo, not Husky offensive analyst Derham Cato.

On paper, these were risky hires. They might also be the right ones.

The common denominator, it seems, is that Lake hired people with plenty left to prove."

https://seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/analysis-uw-head-coach-jimmy-lake-didnt-make-flashy-hires-but-are-they-the-right-hires/

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,902 Founders Club
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    LikeWeSayNo.gif
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,161

Don’t care about the position coaches. Whatever about those guys. I can’t get over Donovan as the OC tho. I’m going to be so pissed when we inevitably suck on offense this year.

we?'ve sucked on offense for a while, so itll be nothing new.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    No. They weren’t.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    Is @jecornel moonlighting as Vorel? There’s a quiet voice of reason out there. I’m not roofing on these hires, but I think the bdtw and others have flown the coup on this.
  • BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    LikeWeSay... No.gif
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam

Betteridge's law of headlines applies.

Impressive pull!
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam
    He was so good nobody else wants him
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club
    I didn't like it when Carroll hired Schottenheimer, but he's actually done pretty well. I couldn't stand devil Bevell so anything seemed like an improvement. I'm willing to LIPO and see what happens here. People forget that Belichick sort of sucked in Cleveland and Saban was nothing special at all at Michigan State and Miami. People improve at their jobs.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

I didn't like it when Carroll hired Schottenheimer, but he's actually done pretty well. I couldn't stand devil Bevell so anything seemed like an improvement. I'm willing to LIPO and see what happens here. People forget that Belichick sort of sucked in Cleveland and Saban was nothing special at all at Michigan State and Miami. People improve at their jobs.

Doog
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    It's a bold move that shows Jimmy isn't afraid of the naysayers. Hell do what he has to to make the team great.

If its the assistant to the rb coach as his OC fine. If it's a retarded middle school kid as his assistant HC, fine.

Trust the process and you might be in for a big treat.
  • dooginthehalldooginthehall Member Posts: 182
    Mark Helfrich?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    guntlove said:

This OC hire is like some kind of insane Russian doll of shitiness... Every time you look closer, dig deeper, or find out some new piece of information, it looks worse. It is an absolute flaming shit-wreck of a hire. It's indefensible and I honestly can't explain it. It's either hubris or gross incompetence on Jimmy's part... or some kind of toxic combination of both.

This combined with his decision to bring back Bob Gregory, which pisses me off almost as much as the Donavan hire, have me convinced we're fucked. The only logical conclusion is that Jimmy has no fucking idea what he's doing. We've got generationally good local talent coming down the pipe this year... but even if we manage to sign Emeka & JT etc, they're gonna get wasted on a coach who's in way over his head.

We won't ever win the pac 12, much less get to the playoff with Jimmy. Take yer screenshots. Or don't. I don't really give a shit anymore... I think I stopped caring after the Stanford game this year anyway. The only enjoyment I get out of Husky football anymore is coming to this festering shitpit to get bullied by @dnc.

gunt.

Let that hate out!
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    guntlove said:

This OC hire is like some kind of insane Russian doll of shitiness... Every time you look closer, dig deeper, or find out some new piece of information, it looks worse. It is an absolute flaming shit-wreck of a hire. It's indefensible and I honestly can't explain it. It's either hubris or gross incompetence on Jimmy's part... or some kind of toxic combination of both.

This combined with his decision to bring back Bob Gregory, which pisses me off almost as much as the Donavan hire, have me convinced we're fucked. The only logical conclusion is that Jimmy has no fucking idea what he's doing. We've got generationally good local talent coming down the pipe this year... but even if we manage to sign Emeka & JT etc, they're gonna get wasted on a coach who's in way over his head.

We won't ever win the pac 12, much less get to the playoff with Jimmy. Take yer screenshots. Or don't. I don't really give a shit anymore... I think I stopped caring after the Stanford game this year anyway. The only enjoyment I get out of Husky football anymore is coming to this festering shitpit to get bullied by @dnc.

gunt.

what happened with the stanford game