Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What kind of snake oil bullshit did Donovan sell Lake into thinking he was a worthy hire?

Comments

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Pretty obvious to me our? new TE coach got Donovan hired. Not sure how we improved TE coaching or recruiting by simply promoting a guy already here. But that’s the common denominator.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    LawDawg1 said:

Pretty obvious to me our? new TE coach got Donovan hired. Not sure how we improved TE coaching or recruiting by simply promoting a guy already here. But that’s the common denominator.

Bush getting promoted to the WR coach worked out well, so might be a chance the TE is ok.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    MakaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It's funny reading everybody say that he sucks without really knowing anything about the guy other than some SP+ stats

He's been an OC for 5 years and never had an offense get ranked above 60th in the country.

We fired Hamdan after finishing 41st in the country.
    Right ...

Because Hamdan's talent at hand at UW was comparable to Vandy and Penn St coming off sanctions

Great analysis
    We’re mere simpletons. We’ll patiently await your breathtakingly thorough, peer reviewed numbers crunch and prepare to be humbled.
    I'm just saying that nobody really knows anything about this guy ...

Everything is coming from the perspective of:

1) He was fired from Penn St and has been an offensive analyst in the NFL since then

2) SP+ stats

3) Comparative to Moorhead ... which I'm not entirely sure anybody's looked that deep at that

4) Twitter folk have been vocal against the hire

5) Nobody had heard of him prior to the hire

I've started looking into the numbers ... some of it feeds into some of the criticisms ... some of it isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

Ultimately, nobody knows jack shit until we get to September.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

MakaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It's funny reading everybody say that he sucks without really knowing anything about the guy other than some SP+ stats

He's been an OC for 5 years and never had an offense get ranked above 60th in the country.

Right ...

Because Hamdan's talent at hand at UW was comparable to Vandy and Penn St coming off sanctions

Great analysis
    We’re mere simpletons. We’ll patiently await your breathtakingly thorough, peer reviewed numbers crunch and prepare to be humbled.
    ... which I'm not entirely sure anybody's looked that deep at that
    El oh El. No one's analyzed this hire but you. Need to Wade through Teq Thoughts diarrhea to see the real picture.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @RoadDawg55 really gave me depression in another thread reminding everyone that he held that ass rb coaching position for 4 years without anyone on earth thinking he should be more.

I guess I will wait to see what he does but I will say that the offence has absolutely 0 leash. If they are not competitive and competent game 1 then everyone sucks.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Because we haven’t gotten your deep deep dive yet. What’d you uncover???
    It's just saying that SP+ doesn't tell the full story to me.

I get that it's a relative measure of performance and designed to normalize a bit.

The reality though is that different programs have different issues/challenges and understanding what happened is important.

It's like saying that a company had median level revenue growth and judging their performance based on that. There's a ton of unanswered questions that need to be answered/addressed in that situation.
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Right ...

Great analysis
    The issues is Donovan’s track record smells of a fucking loser. And historic performance is pretty decent predictor of the future performance. This is a more risky higher, because unlike some unproven coach without a track record. This dude track record bites dick.

I am rooting for him to be successful, but based on his resume we are in for a rough ride.

Got to give Jimmy credit, he hired a guy that makes slingblade look competent. That took a real search to make that happen
    I agree that the resume isn't a slam dunk and there's plenty of reason to view this hire as risky ... notably that he hasn't called plays in 4+ years.

I don't think it's fair to say that his track record smells of a loser from what I'm seeing (improvements can be seen comparatively).

I think what you're really getting in this hire is somebody that has a shared vision with Jimmy Lake in terms of what the offense looks like.

Some of the names that have been thrown out as better hires I have serious questions as to whether their identities match with what Jimmy wants to run.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Taking the opposite stance just because I see. It’s a bad hire and he has sucked.
    Nope ...

I don't know enough about this hire to say whether he completely sucks or not.

From what I've looked at so far, it's looking like a mixed bag in spots. Some areas encouraging and some areas giving pause.

I'm not going to anchor to a gut feeling upon hearing the news.

I'm not going to spin this hire into a doog view of blindly buying in. When I see areas that are encouraging, I'll call them out. When I see areas for concern, I'll call them out.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

FireCohen said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Right ...

Great analysis
    The issues is Donovan’s track record smells of a fucking loser. And historic performance is pretty decent predictor of the future performance. This is a more risky higher, because unlike some unproven coach without a track record. This dude track record bites dick.

I am rooting for him to be successful, but based on his resume we are in for a rough ride.

Got to give Jimmy credit, he hired a guy that makes slingblade look competent. That took a real search to make that happen

Some of the names that have been thrown out as better hires I have serious questions as to whether their identities match with what Jimmy wants to run.
    Do you have special knowledge of what Jimmy wants to run outside of "aggressive" and "attacking?" If so, pray tell. If not, what founding do your "serious questions" have?
  • Options
    Emoterman said:

Tequilla said:

FireCohen said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Right ...

Great analysis

Do you have special knowledge of what Jimmy wants to run outside of "aggressive" and "attacking?" If so, pray tell. If not, what founding do your "serious questions" have?
    I think it's where his actions and words are telling

We know he doesn't hold the Air Raid in high regard

The teams we have tended to struggle against the most are physical straight ahead teams