Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pac12 opener game thread

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn’t watch the game because I forgot it was on. From the box score, McDaniel’s laid and dud and fouled out in 14 min. That dude needs to get it together. I didn’t expect a BTP level stud but fuck.

Bey and Wright played big minutes and didn’t do shit on offense. Those two absolutely kill us. A reliable 10 PPG guy instead of those two would make us so much better.

I doubt it matters, but Battle is supposedly a good shooter. Give him minutes if he can space the floor for Stewart.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Didn’t watch the game because I forgot it was on. From the box score, McDaniel’s laid and dud and fouled out in 14 min. That dude needs to get it together. I didn’t expect a BTP level stud but fuck.

Bey and Wright played big minutes and didn’t do shit on offense. Those two absolutely kill us. A reliable 10 PPG guy instead of those two would make us so much better.

I doubt it matters, but Battle is supposedly a good shooter. Give him minutes if he can space the floor for Stewart.

McDaniels picked up two fouls early in the first half, went to the bench, came back in towards the end of the half, picked up his third, went to the bench, then picked up a T from the bench for throwing a ball that came to him at a UCLA player.

He had four fouls before half and fouled out in the first four minutes of the second half.

I don't think I've ever seen a player foul out with 16 minutes left.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

MelloDawg said:

McDaniels is the laziest good player we’ve had in years

He makes me long for the halcyon days of Tony Wroten.

I hated Tony Wroten.
    McDaniels is more frustrating than Wroten. Wroten was too cocky and thought he was amazing when he couldn’t shoot at all and played out of control. He still had some really big games.

McDaniels coasts thru games and thinks he has one of those effortless games like B Roy or Durant. He doesn’t. Both McDaniels and Wroten were coddled AAU babies.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

MelloDawg said:

I hated Tony Wroten.
    McDaniels is more frustrating than Wroten. Wroten was too cocky and thought he was amazing when he couldn’t shoot at all and played out of control. He still had some really big games.

McDaniels coasts thru games and thinks he has one of those effortless games like B Roy or Durant. He doesn’t. Both McDaniels and Wroten were coddled AAU babies.
    Wroten had a shitty attitude and a massive hole in his game. But at least he had game changing athleticism and handles and could impact every single possession. McDaniels has more offensive talent on paper but if he can’t ever put it all together who gives a fuck.

I’d rather have Wroten right now.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

MelloDawg said:

I hated Tony Wroten.

Wroten had a shitty attitude and a massive hole in his game. But at least he had game changing athleticism and handles and could impact every single possession. McDaniels has more offensive talent on paper but if he can’t ever put it all together who gives a fuck.

I’d rather have Wroten right now.
    They suck in different ways. The only similarity is that they both turn it over way too often.

I would rather have Wroten too.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Almost everything I said after the first couple of games and was downvoted for has held correct....

the zone wasn’t working in a large part because McDaniels takes plays off and wright is dumb. So we play shitty switch man to cover for shitty defense. The suffocating defensive identity is gone, it’s now a gimmick

Bey is a JAG

Green isn’t great, he is fine. He is Gaddy on a better team.

Naz still a spaz; an amazing athlete that barely knows how to play basketball. (Great 3 right before losing the game though)

Stewart is amazing but still has to carry the team on both sides of the court.

The offense looks like Pete is the offensive consultant and there is never any space on the floor. It’s so broken.

The idea of your team drastically improving more during the season than your opponents is doog mythos.

Fuck McDaniels who has obviously been coasting (or he just sucks). Fuck Hop who completely sacrificed next year for this years mediocre this year.

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    Standard Supporter
    A world could exist where we would have been better off if McDaniels had chosen Kentucky. He looks like he doesnt want to be playing basketball and shows it by his play. I think theres a small chance he quits the team before the end of the season.

As I remember, Oregon had a guy a few years ago who was a 5* all american who had the same issues and either quit or got kicked off the team halfway through the season and they were better off for it.

As a final note, @btp is a fucking idiot

A world could exist where we would have been better off if McDaniels had chosen Kentucky. He looks like he doesnt want to be playing basketball and shows it by his play. I think theres a small chance he quits the team before the end of the season.

As I remember, Oregon had a guy a few years ago who was a 5* all american who had the same issues and either quit or got kicked off the team halfway through the season and they were better off for it.

I think he'll pull it together somewhat, and I definitely don't think we are better without him.

We win that game yesterday if he doesn't foul out.

But man he is frustrating to watch most games.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

I dont know if the team would be better or worse without... (maybe the fact that I cant definitively say means they would be better without him) But I do know that the suffocating Hop zone defense requires complete tryhard buyin and for everyone to be on the same page.

There is a bit more soft pussy finesse faggotry on the team than in the past few years. Mcdaniels contributes to that, but its not solely his fault. Would be nice if the team had a IT to punk Mcdaniels, Brockman to break his eye socket with a bow in practice, or Venoy to pimp him out at the jack in the box to wake him up... Or maybe Hop or Dollar can stop tiptoeing around him.

The team does play significantly better defense when McDaniels isnt on the floor and Mcdaniels/Wright are giving up an absurd amount of offensive rebounds.

• HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Shoutout to McDaniels...he just isn’t that good and doesn’t appear to have the attitude to want to get there. Get through the season and get drafted...cash in before everyone else figures it out.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    Houhusky said:

I dont know if the team would be better or worse without... (maybe the fact that I cant definitively say means they would be better without him) But I do know that the suffocating Hop zone defense requires complete tryhard buyin and for everyone to be on the same page.

There is a bit more soft pussy finesse faggotry on the team than in the past few years. Mcdaniels contributes to that, but its not solely his fault. Would be nice if the team had a IT to punk Mcdaniels, Brockman to break his eye socket with a bow in practice, or Venoy to pimp him out at the jack in the box to wake him up... Or maybe Hop or Dollar can stop tiptoeing around him.

The team does play significantly better defense when McDaniels isnt on the floor and Mcdaniels/Wright are giving up an absurd amount of offensive rebounds.

Shoutout to McDaniels...he just isn’t that good and doesn’t appear to have the attitude to want to get there. Get through the season and get drafted...cash in before everyone else figures it out.

They’ve already figured it out.

Kid should go somewhere and get coached up. He didn’t get any from Jerome Collins or his AAU leaches and he’s not getting developed by Hop & Co.

If he had any adult supervision, they’d tell him to transfer to Gonzaga, sit out a year learning the game and come back as a beast in two years.

Houhusky said:

Kid should go somewhere and get coached up. He didn’t get any from Jerome Collins or his AAU leaches and he’s not getting developed by Hop & Co.

If he had any adult supervision, they’d tell him to transfer to Gonzaga, sit out a year learning the game and come back as a beast in two years.

So many great Zags in the NBA...
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Houhusky said:

Sure worked for NWG.

That being said. Jaden looks like he has zero desire to be here. Even last night's game. There's no reason he shouldn't be a 15-20 point a night guy with 2-4 blocks and 7 rebounds a game. He's the reason we give up so many offensive boards. (That and a weakness of the 4-1 zone is backdoor rebounding, too many people crash the ball side).
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Houhusky said:

Sure worked for NWG.

That being said. Jaden looks like he has zero desire to be here. Even last night's game. There's no reason he shouldn't be a 15-20 point a night guy with 2-4 blocks and 7 rebounds a game. He's the reason we give up so many offensive boards. (That and a weakness of the 4-1 zone is backdoor rebounding, too many people crash the ball side).
    2001400ex said:

Houhusky said:

Sure worked for NWG.

He’s not a 15-20 point a night guy because he’s not good enough. He’s an average at best shooter and too thin to be a great finisher inside. He has a toolsy game where he does a little of everything somewhat well, but he does not have one standout skill.

I said before the year 12-14 points and that’s what he’s giving us. I had a feeling he wasn’t the shooter BTP hyped him as. He shot 29% from 3. That’s in AAU where there isn’t a ton of defense being played. AAU stats are readily available online.

I think McDaniels will always lack some grit. It’s just not him. If he improves his shooting and focus, he will be a solid player in the NBA in time. He won’t be anything special at UW. You just gotta hope he plays his best ball in the conference tourney and the real tournament. At some point, he will score 30 and have a big night shooting and we will all like him again. He’s not horrible by any means, we just see 5* and expect those types to dominate.

2001400ex said:

Houhusky said:

Sure worked for NWG.

2001400ex said:

Houhusky said:

Sure worked for NWG.

He’s not a 15-20 point a night guy because he’s not good enough. He’s an average at best shooter and too thin to be a great finisher inside. He has a toolsy game where he does a little of everything somewhat well, but he does not have one standout skill.

I said before the year 12-14 points and that’s what he’s giving us. I had a feeling he wasn’t the shooter BTP hyped him as. He shot 29% from 3. That’s in AAU where there isn’t a ton of defense being played. AAU stats are readily available online.

I think McDaniels will always lack some grit. It’s just not him. If he improves his shooting and focus, he will be a solid player in the NBA in time. He won’t be anything special at UW. You just gotta hope he plays his best ball in the conference tourney and the real tournament. At some point, he will score 30 and have a big night shooting and we will all like him again. He’s not horrible by any means, we just see 5* and expect those types to dominate.
    Great point.

I disagree that Jaden didn't look like he wanted to be here last night too btw. Dude had six blocks in the first half. You don't block shots half assing it. Some guys just don't look like they'er trying hard but that doesn't always mean they dgaf. People used to say the same shit about BRoy before his senior year.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Houhusky said:

Name, position, height, weight, league, team, games played, points, rebounds, assists. Sabonis has become a good player. Hachimura doing well as a rookie. Clarke is solid. Not a big discrepancy between the schools.

GONZAGA
    Brandon Clarke PF 6-8 210 NBA Grizzlies 31 12.58 5.61 1.35
    Zach Collins C 7-0 235 NBA Trail Blazers 3 9.00 4.00 2.00
    Rui Hachimura F 6-8 230 NBA Wizards 25 13.92 5.80 1.60
    Kelly Olynyk C 7-0 240 NBA Heat 35 7.71 4.54 1.20
    Domas Sabonis PF 6-11 240 NBA Pacers 35 17.77 13.03 4.20
    Nigel Williams-Goss SG 6-3 190 NBA Jazz 8 0.25 0.50 0.50

WASHINGTON
    Marquese Chriss PF 6-10 230 Warriors 37 7.35 5.43 1.89
    Markelle Fultz PG 6-4 200 Magic 36 11.42 2.97 4.42
    Justin Holiday SF 6-6 181 Pacers 37 7.70 3.43 1.43
    Dejounte Murray SG 6-5 175 Spurs 31 10.48 5.81 4.13
    Jaylen Nowell SG 6-4 202 Timberwolves 7 4.43 0.71 0.86
    Terrence Ross SF 6-7 206 Magic 35 13.40 2.80 0.89
    Isaiah Thomas PG 5-9 185 Wizards 27 13.00 1.52 4.26
    Matisse Thybulle SF 6-5 200 Sixers 30 4.83 1.07 1.23
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Houhusky said:

If I was a high-level basketball recruit I'd play for Gonzaga over UW. This is not even a serious debate. Let's be honest with ourselves.

Houhusky said:

Name, position, height, weight, league, team, games played, points, rebounds, assists. Sabonis has become a good player. Hachimura doing well as a rookie. Clarke is solid. Not a big discrepancy between the schools.

GONZAGA
    Brandon Clarke PF 6-8 210 NBA Grizzlies 31 12.58 5.61 1.35
    Zach Collins C 7-0 235 NBA Trail Blazers 3 9.00 4.00 2.00
    Rui Hachimura F 6-8 230 NBA Wizards 25 13.92 5.80 1.60
    Kelly Olynyk C 7-0 240 NBA Heat 35 7.71 4.54 1.20
    Domas Sabonis PF 6-11 240 NBA Pacers 35 17.77 13.03 4.20
    Nigel Williams-Goss SG 6-3 190 NBA Jazz 8 0.25 0.50 0.50

WASHINGTON
    Marquese Chriss PF 6-10 230 Warriors 37 7.35 5.43 1.89
    Markelle Fultz PG 6-4 200 Magic 36 11.42 2.97 4.42
    Justin Holiday SF 6-6 181 Pacers 37 7.70 3.43 1.43
    Dejounte Murray SG 6-5 175 Spurs 31 10.48 5.81 4.13
    Jaylen Nowell SG 6-4 202 Timberwolves 7 4.43 0.71 0.86
    Terrence Ross SF 6-7 206 Magic 35 13.40 2.80 0.89
    Isaiah Thomas PG 5-9 185 Wizards 27 13.00 1.52 4.26
    Matisse Thybulle SF 6-5 200 Sixers 30 4.83 1.07 1.23
    So quantity AND quality obviously in UW’s favor. Dig deeper and do the entire history and the discrepancy is even more obvious.

Gonzaga is the Boise fucking St of b-ball. At their height, they win 1-2 preseason games against real competition, win their bullshit league, everyone sucks their dick, they lose early in the tourney. Like 2-3 good runs in the tourney and people think they’re Duke.

There’s a reason hardly any high profile recruits outside of the region go to Gonzaga. Small town shit hole that plays the majority of its games against even smaller town shit holes.

Then they go pro and flame out. Or don’t even make it.

They’re a good college program with more success than UW, but nobody is trying to go there. Most of their best players are transfers and international players.

It’s almost like playing against WCC competition for 90% of your college career doesn’t prepare you that well for the league.

Who could have predicted this???