Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    In their first official news conference, a lot of coaches talk about winning conference championships and national championships. Petersen didn’t do that. Instead he talked about the process. And he believes the process that worked in Boise will work in Seattle.

And if it does, beating Oregon won’t be a question. It will simply take care of itself.

Good thought. Process is the big Saban buzzword. I'm sure Sark will pick up on it someday

I like how Sark said the rules of college football are conducive to the no huddle. Really? How so? They haven't changed. He just decided to copy Chip but wants to act like he had some deep thought about how it's really cool man to do the hurry up thanks to the rules.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

In their first official news conference, a lot of coaches talk about winning conference championships and national championships. Petersen didn’t do that. Instead he talked about the process. And he believes the process that worked in Boise will work in Seattle.

And if it does, beating Oregon won’t be a question. It will simply take care of itself.

Good thought. Process is the big Saban buzzword. I'm sure Sark will pick up on it someday

I like how Sark said the rules of college football are conducive to the no huddle. Really? How so? They haven't changed. He just decided to copy Chip but wants to act like he had some deep thought about how it's really cool man to do the hurry up thanks to the rules.

Sark is never going to be successful if he continues to think the no huddle is the future until the rules are changed.

Chip's offense was so good because the execution on the plays were flawless. It was a very big playbook but they ran everything to perfection. The no huddle just helped them run more of these plays to score more throughout the game.

Look at what Sark's no huddle offense did this year. if he didn't have Sankey he would have been fucked. A ton of false starts and holding penalties to go a long with constant 3 and outs gassing our defense at the end of games because they had to play so many possessions.

Sark will never come close to being disciplined enough to execute an offense like Chip Kelly did. Never.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Sark sucks, but the no huddle wasn't the problem. Like Cuntwaffle said, it's the execution, lack of discipline, and not paying attention to detail. Going no huddle was a smart move by Sark, as the offense was better, but it doesn't cover up his other coaching warts. Sark seems to think that he can out scheme the other coach and focuses way too much on play calling (which he isn't even that great at) instead of fielding a tough, smart, disciplined team that is solid in all 3 phases of the game.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,067 Standard Supporter
    execution > play calling

Play calling is more about not screwing it up, playing to your strengths, and exposing defenses that are not sound with their scheme.

That doesn't really sound like the uw I know over the past 5 years. Basically when we had better talent we normally won and the offense did fine. Equal or lesser talent and not so good.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,562 Founders Club
    Watch the video linked titled 3 Plays that shocked the world, 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Pretty awesome breakdown of the plays by the OC.

What a cool day for Boise, man...
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,972
    What isn't often mentioned is that when Sark went HUNH he did change his offense. He went from pro style to a hybrid pistol/Oregon style at tempo. In doing that, he ruined ASJs role in the O. He may be soft, but he has produced in the passing game.

What I couldn't understand was why he changed the O. UW posed serious matchup challenges in the hurry up. Do you nickel them and Sankey runs wild or do you to base D and spread ASJ out wide? Instead ASJ became a T and Mickens became our fulcrum. Sweet.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    He changed the O because he wanted an offense where he could prove he's a genius by throwing sideways to midgets and making sure that our defense would be good and tired so he didn't have to listen to praise of Wilcox any more.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    If you're going to bash sideline screens to midgets I am out.
    edited December 2013
    AEB said:

What isn't often mentioned is that when Sark went HUNH he did change his offense. He went from pro style to a hybrid pistol/Oregon style at tempo. In doing that, he ruined ASJs role in the O. He may be soft, but he has produced in the passing game.

What I couldn't understand was why he changed the O. UW posed serious matchup challenges in the hurry up. Do you nickel them and Sankey runs wild or do you to base D and spread ASJ out wide? Instead ASJ became a T and Mickens became our fulcrum. Sweet.

He changed the offense because it was in the bottom half of the Pac 12, averaging 23.8 ppg and 347 yards. With the no huddle, they averaged 38.5 and 514 yards. Pretty fucking big difference. It was one of the rare smart choices Sark made. I'm actually surprised he did change the offense and didn't stick with the one that "has withstood the test of time."

Sark deserves a lot of criticism for a lot of different things, but changing the offense is not one of them. The old offense sucked. Great, ASJ was a better player in the old offense, but it's not about one player.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

AEB said:

He changed the offense because it was in the bottom half of the Pac 12, averaging 23.8 ppg and 347 yards. With the no huddle, they averaged 38.5 and 514 yards. Pretty fucking big difference. It was one of the rare smart choices Sark made. I'm actually surprised he did change the offense and didn't stick with the one that "has withstood the test of time."

Sark deserves a lot of criticism for a lot of different things, but changing the offense is not one of them. The old offense sucked. Great, ASJ was a better player in the old offense, but it's not about one player.

The old offense seemed to work pretty well in Prices first season.

AEB said:

The old offense seemed to work pretty well in Prices first season.
    1 out of 4 seasons. That offense was still worse than this year's.