Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

CFB Attendance Waning Yet Nobody Knows Why

MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
because they don't fucking know... they aren't sociologists, you know!! It's baffling how the attendance is declining!

Here is a very long and thorough article by @JohnCanzanoHasHotAsianWifeDawg

https://oregonlive.com/sports/2019/12/canzano-college-footballs-troubles-will-be-punctuated-with-more-empty-seats-in-pac-12-title-game.html

me, on the other hand... well, I am not a sociologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... and while there, this is what I learned.

The media has allowed blowhards like Paul Finebaum and ESPN's College Football Live TV show to incessantly promote the same 5-6 teams every fucking year such that all the fans of other teams just don't think the upper echelon of CFB is either relevant to them nor is it even attainable... Look at what Finebaum said yesterday when discussing, on ESPN, whether Oklahoma or Utah should be in.. "nobody wants to see Utah play, therefore pick Oklahoma (because they're of interest to Finebaum and David Pollock and Boogie or whatever his name is). The media polling has intentionally made 112 of 119 teams irrelevant and they wonder why nobody watches anymore.

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

Stop watching ESPN instead

i don't watch it anymore, but the influence the media poll has for the first 9 weeks of the season and the off-season is undeniable. The media members rank teams they "want to see" and really don't know anything about most teams and then the playoff committee falls into that sphere of influence... I happen to think it does affect general interest in the sport since the playoffs were introduced.

but you're right...whatever.gif
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Didn't read the article but college football is still popular where it matters, i.e. college towns and the South. In big cities like Seattle there's too much else to do if the team is mediocre. Get an elite team here with decent start times and good opponents and the stadium is full. Same as it ever was.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,690 Founders Club
    Meek said:

Stop watching ESPN instead

i don't watch it anymore, but the influence the media poll has for the first 9 weeks of the season and the off-season is undeniable. The media members rank teams they "want to see" and really don't know anything about most teams and then the playoff committee falls into that sphere of influence... I happen to think it does affect general interest in the sport since the playoffs were introduced.

but you're right...whatever.gif
    I hear you

ESPN is the source for college football and lots of people still watch
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,845

i can watch any game i want to on tv. why spend $800 on oregon tickets when i can sit on my ass and watch our? dwags lose from my couch?

Tickets were like $60 for decent seats. This is a dumb narrative
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,111

i can watch any game i want to on tv. why spend $800 on oregon tickets when i can sit on my ass and watch our? dwags lose from my couch?

Being at the game is way more fun.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

Yes, cal game was root canal level fun
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    edited December 2019
    if you read the article you'll see that attendance is down in every conference and my point was that when 99% of the teams at the starting line become eliminated from contention by virtue of the media poll (ie score checkers who dont' watch them all) by guys on tv more often than leave it to beaver reruns who are all basically saying that a hot team like Utah isn't as good as a mediocre team like Oklahoma for some manufactured rationale when really it's just because they'd rather watch Oklahoma then it eventually works its way down to the pleebs like us who are expected to buy tickets but when we say "meh...my team isn't involved in anything big...just the cheez-it bowel" so fuck it i'm going to buy a new video game and get drunk tonight instead of going to the game (plus the Nike jerseys suuuuuuckkkk bawls so won't buy that either) then yeah, CFB gets less interesting to the masses.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,111
    FireCohen said:

Yes, cal game was root canal level fun
    Only because of the weather delay. I hate seeing them lose, but I still love getting drunk with my buddies and watching the game live.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,184

its cause im dumb and spent $800 for tickets, dummy.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam

its cause im dumb and spent $800 for tickets, dummy.
    The seats I like to sit in average about $220 per on the secondary market. I feel your pain. Still, I'd rather pay $800 for a x2 to two games than pay for season tickets and sit there for Weak Sisters Of The Poor University in week one.

I'll be there for Michigan, and I'm already getting started on making the plasma I'll need to donate to afford it.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,349 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    Seats are expensive...It may not be factually true but that’s the narrative so that makes it true.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,453 Swaye's Wigwam
    Variable kick off times also make this shit a lot harder to plan around. I'm glad I can record this shit on a dvr and skip through commercials.