Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chargers ending a reminder of why NFL should change its severe pass interference penalty

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I mean that was blatant PI unlike the article suggested.

I don't think the college rule is stiff enough in certain instances, but the NFL rule can be too stiff.

If I were in charge I'd consider one of two changes - I'd either have two DPI penalties like there used to be two facemark penalties, one for less egregious or questionable calls and one for blatant DPI. The lesser one would be like the college rule - a spot foul for passes less than 15 yards but never more than 15. The major one would be as the NFL does it now. So basically anything less than 15 yards would still be spot but over 15 yards would be a matter of degree.

The other option would be to make the penalty half the length of a spot foul on long passes. So interfere with a 50 yarder and it's a 25 yard penalty, etc. This lessens the impact some but still makes it worse on longer throws than on shorter ones.

Not sure which plan I like better.