Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Disappointed...

2»

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,696
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Sorry but I never apologize

King Doog
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sorry but I never apologize

King Doog
    Don't ever fucking forget it

I'm also the author of expecting everything bad to happen

That you and Damone grabbed on to
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Blayen said:

When your offense is predicated upon what the defense is showing you, what possible halftime adjustments can a coach make?
    When your lack of offense is due to poor execution, why would a coach need to call different plays?
    When the talent doesn't show it in practice while the JAG's have memorized the play book and run better routes, how can a coach decide to play them on game day?

Our coach has a philosophy. He believes you cannot win by running the ball a majority of the time. He believes that an offense is simply taking what the defense gives you. He believes trickery is aggression. He values effort in practice over talent. He values his playbook more than tweaking things to match the ability of his players.

It is fine to have a philosophy. It is a starting point, and you adjust from there as the situation dictates. The biggest problem I see is that he seems to be rigid and non-adaptable. He views his philosophy not just as the starting point, but as the end point as well. When people are this rigid, it typically means they really don't know what they are doing. The system becomes God. What you do is limited by what the system allows instead of you modifying the system to account for its deficiencies. Instead of being an architect, you become a slave.

Other coaches in the PAC know what we are doing. They have us figured out. They are exploiting our weaknesses, while we refuse to adjust and exploit theirs. They control what our offense does by always making our weak point available to us knowing we will always take it. We spend every game having the other team dictate what will happen. Is it any wonder we play soft? The entire philosophy is soft and defensive.

I have little faith this will get turned around long term. I have seen nothing in 6 years that would indicate Coach Petersen will change what he does. A losing record in a not very good pac-12 in year 6 is more than just a warning flag. Considering the talent we have, I believe it to be more of a harbinger than an anomaly.

If I could chin this poast 81 times, I would. Perfectly articulated and right on the fucking money.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    guntlove said:

guntlove said:

We have the wrong coach. I bought into the 'Browning and Babushka are holding us back' narrative as aggressively as anyone around here... but I was completely fucking wrong.

Pete has no concept of what's wrong. Watching his press conference the other day.... it's like he's emotionally stunted or blind. He can only think in terms of execution. He's so up his own ass with his 'process' that he has no idea how to actually motivate a team to play with passion and violence. He's like a fucking robot.

It doesn't matter what changes he makes to his staff. It doesn't matter to me anymore if he fires Hamden and Gregory. Pete is the problem. We're stuck with a coach who's just good enough to hold onto his job. I will bet anyone a million sven bucks that Pete will never go through a season here without losing at LEAST two games. It will never happen.

I swear to god, being a fan of this fucking program is like some never ending circle of hell.

We’re going a little heavy on that. Pete has a good first 5 years. Won 2 of 3 PAC 12 titles. Developed a lot of lower rated players into NFL draft picks. Had the #1 defense in the PAC 12 four years straight. It hasn’t been all bad. Even this year, we had a lot of close losses. Inexcusable losses that shouldn’t have been close, but it’s not like we were incredibly far away.

You are what your record is and we suck.

This year sucks. Let’s LIPO another year or two. Teams makes big jumps all the time. Georgia and LSU both made big jumps. It’s not always linear. I think it’s possible for us if we fix the offense. The way to do that is Pete giving up control.
    Roadie, you are as always, the voice of reason... and one of my favorite classy poasters. But 2016,17,18 all happened when the PAC-12 was for all intents and purposes, a steaming pile of horse shit. Each bowl game... and I was at two of them, we got fucking handled. We've very rarely (if ever) won a game we weren't supposed to under Pete... and every year there are several losses to teams that we have absolutely no business losing to. There are consistently stretches where individual positions go criminally under-recruited.... we're paying the price this year for the disastrous WR and LB recruiting of the past.

There is also something much bigger about this program that just isn't working. Something fundamental about the attitude and energy of this team that just seems WAY off. I think a lot of us had put it on Jake Browning's shoulders... but this season's proven it has much more to do with Pete and his 'practice-first/don't-make-a-mistake' culture.

If Pete retains Hamden, how optimistic would you be for this team to make a big jump next year? If he brings in a new OC with a whole new system, how optimistic would you be that Pete would actually stay out of the fucking way? Even if he did, how optimistic would you be for this team to make a big jump with Morris or Sirmon at QB playing behind a whole new OL being led by a OL coach who may or may not have any idea what he's doing? How optimistic are you at this point that Junior Adams has the slightest fucking idea what he's doing? The defense has steadily declined under Jimmy Lake... we have a lot of returning talent, but how optimistic are you that that trend will reverse itself?

Pete was completely exposed this year. Hapless clock & roster management. Nonexistent in-game/halftime adjustments. Utterly predictable and ineffective offensive play calling. A team with no energy, passion, or ability to make a play when it counted. Pete's a guy that will have 2-5 losses every year going forward. Take yer screenshots.

gunt.
    Hamdan isn’t coming back. I’ll be shocked if he does. I’ll have no hope if he does. Bury us right now if he does.

Junior Adams has been a huge dud. There has been no improvement at all. I actually think Fuller and Baccallia regressed. The WR recruiting shouldn’t be a problem or excuse. We got guys that were pretty highly ranked. They just don’t play, either because of the coaches stupid reasons or the other reality that they suck. We did very well this recruiting class. Simplify the offense and get the young guys in quickly. Talent upgrades are on the roster already and 3 more are coming.

I’m leaning towards Huff being a shitty coach. I thought we were better this year, but the OL has declined since Strausser left. Now we will see the better recruits coming up. If he does come back, he should be on thin ice.

I would have zero issue with every coach on offense being fired and a whole new staff come in. In fact, I hope Adams and Huff get fired along with Bush. We might want to wait until after early signing day.

Defense replaced 9 starters and the decline makes a little sense. I didn’t expect it and it sucks, but we are actually young. We should be much better next year.

LB is a disaster we have been over many times. It’s not good until we have multiple players playing well, but they will be a lot better next year. Not a huge worry for me actually.

I am worried about Pete staying out of the way. Despite all this, of the defense jumps back to top 3 next year and the offense isn’t a total disaster we can win 10. Pete is still mostly a proven winner.

The recruits everyone loved so much are mostly first and second year guys. 10+ wins wouldn’t surprise me at all next year. 7 wouldn’t be a shock either.

Pete’s not going anywhere and I don’t think he suddenly became a shitty coach. I think we should be better next year. There are too many examples to name of teams having bad years followed by making a jump. Not sure why we can’t.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blayen said:

When your offense is predicated upon what the defense is showing you, what possible halftime adjustments can a coach make?
    When your lack of offense is due to poor execution, why would a coach need to call different plays?
    When the talent doesn't show it in practice while the JAG's have memorized the play book and run better routes, how can a coach decide to play them on game day?

Our coach has a philosophy. He believes you cannot win by running the ball a majority of the time. He believes that an offense is simply taking what the defense gives you. He believes trickery is aggression. He values effort in practice over talent. He values his playbook more than tweaking things to match the ability of his players.

It is fine to have a philosophy. It is a starting point, and you adjust from there as the situation dictates. The biggest problem I see is that he seems to be rigid and non-adaptable. He views his philosophy not just as the starting point, but as the end point as well. When people are this rigid, it typically means they really don't know what they are doing. The system becomes God. What you do is limited by what the system allows instead of you modifying the system to account for its deficiencies. Instead of being an architect, you become a slave.

Other coaches in the PAC know what we are doing. They have us figured out. They are exploiting our weaknesses, while we refuse to adjust and exploit theirs. They control what our offense does by always making our weak point available to us knowing we will always take it. We spend every game having the other team dictate what will happen. Is it any wonder we play soft? The entire philosophy is soft and defensive.

I have little faith this will get turned around long term. I have seen nothing in 6 years that would indicate Coach Petersen will change what he does. A losing record in a not very good pac-12 in year 6 is more than just a warning flag. Considering the talent we have, I believe it to be more of a harbinger than an anomaly.

Who are you? And post WAY more.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,418
    Founders Club

We lost to Thurman Thomas and Okie State and then BYU which was unacceptable as any loss ever considering 1984

5-3 in conference wasn't that bad but it seemed like it

We also lost to Cuog
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,418
    Founders Club
    But in 1985, we also beat USC and UCLA
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blayen said:

Good point about the offense and making adjustments. We can’t because the whole offense is based on a play to play basis of reacting to the defense. Pete said they weren’t even fooled much by Colorado. They just suck.