Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cal too hard

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,006

That's not the bellwether. That would be earlier this year when Chicago dropped it. Chicago, they of the high rep non-partisan free speach/no safe spaces Chicago. THAT was chintresting.

There are a bunch of highly selective schools that have dropped it and the College Board must be shitting themselves. Some dropped it long ago.

You actually don't have to submit GRE scores for admission to Brown Maff PhD. My kid submitted, but it was a complete option. Brown Maff at the doctoral level is no joke. No GRE.

In Cal's case, I don't think it was ever as big a deal as it was to the selective schools in the east, where it was a big chunk of your chance. At Cal, I have it on pretty good authority that finishing in the Top 10% of your HS class was the biggest swing in admission. So from a strategy standpoint, if you wanted Cal, you didn't go to Lakeside or Mercer Island or Bellevue, but rather, say, Snohomish or somewhere else where the competition isn't as keen. That top 10% thing has historically been yuge for UC admissions.
    Lakeside
    Mercer Island
    Bellevue

One of these things is not like the others.
    Not really. They're all competitive high schools full of serious Asian students whose entire existence is predicated on getting into an elite school. All three. Don't make the @Ballz mistake of confusing Bellevue's former football dynasty with the a good % of its students. It's a serious place.
    If Lakeside is equal to decent public schools, what are they paying for?
    I didn't say they were equal. But depending on the public school and the program, you can get the same level of rigor you get at Lakeside. A solid IB program will do that.

People will still pay for Lakeside for a myriad of other reasons.

The main point being, the three schools I listed have lots of kids who are working very hard to attend elite schools. Making it into the top 10% at those places will be an order of magnitude more difficult than it would be at, say, Lake Stevens High School or Mount Si.
    No argument there. I’m mostly poking fun at people dropping thousands monthly on a high school education you can get for free.
    Pretty expensive to live in the Bellevue school district.
    Im pro vouchers and school choice.
    They would seem to help improve equality of opportunity which should be the goal.

I’m also anti teacher unions.
    This is my last upvote until you join forces with good and publicly condemn OBK.

What I need is an announcement that you're going to look into his racist rants. If you don't, I will withhold upvotes and chins. There's no quid pro quo, but that's the dealio.
    I only do real quid pro quo, counselor. If you buy a HH @Swaye ’s Wam level subscription, I will declare OBK rayciss. It will carry extra weight based on my reputation as being perhaps the most level headed poster in HH history.
    I'm thinking.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    A

That's not the bellwether. That would be earlier this year when Chicago dropped it. Chicago, they of the high rep non-partisan free speach/no safe spaces Chicago. THAT was chintresting.

There are a bunch of highly selective schools that have dropped it and the College Board must be shitting themselves. Some dropped it long ago.

You actually don't have to submit GRE scores for admission to Brown Maff PhD. My kid submitted, but it was a complete option. Brown Maff at the doctoral level is no joke. No GRE.

In Cal's case, I don't think it was ever as big a deal as it was to the selective schools in the east, where it was a big chunk of your chance. At Cal, I have it on pretty good authority that finishing in the Top 10% of your HS class was the biggest swing in admission. So from a strategy standpoint, if you wanted Cal, you didn't go to Lakeside or Mercer Island or Bellevue, but rather, say, Snohomish or somewhere else where the competition isn't as keen. That top 10% thing has historically been yuge for UC admissions.
    Lakeside
    Mercer Island
    Bellevue

Not really. They're all competitive high schools full of serious Asian students whose entire existence is predicated on getting into an elite school. All three. Don't make the @Ballz mistake of confusing Bellevue's former football dynasty with the a good % of its students. It's a serious place.
    I didn't say they were equal. But depending on the public school and the program, you can get the same level of rigor you get at Lakeside. A solid IB program will do that.

The main point being, the three schools I listed have lots of kids who are working very hard to attend elite schools. Making it into the top 10% at those places will be an order of magnitude more difficult than it would be at, say, Lake Stevens High School or Mount Si.
    No argument there. I’m mostly poking fun at people dropping thousands monthly on a high school education you can get for free.
    People that can afford Lakeside can afford to live in Bellevue.
    What is they spend so much on tuition the have to live in Renton with Grinolds. Ever think of that?
    As if Paul Allen’s ghost would allow Renton trash into his school.
    Ghosts aren’t real.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861

Lakeside
    Mercer Island
    Bellevue

They would seem to help improve equality of opportunity which should be the goal.

This is my last upvote until you join forces with good and publicly condemn OBK.

What I need is an announcement that you're going to look into his racist rants. If you don't, I will withhold upvotes and chins. There's no quid pro quo, but that's the dealio.
    I only do real quid pro quo, counselor. If you buy a HH @Swaye ’s Wam level subscription, I will declare OBK rayciss. It will carry extra weight based on my reputation as being perhaps the most level headed poster in HH history.
    You might have everyone else fooled but not me or pup

One of these days it will end in an epic flameout
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,056 Founders Club

Lakeside
    Mercer Island
    Bellevue

You might have everyone else fooled but not me or pup

One of these days it will end in an epic flameout
    I’m way mentally tougher than Pup. It’s why he can never win.