Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thread in which we quote famous philosophers, statesmen, and playwrights

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

alumni94 said:

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."

- Mother Teresa

Counter point...

As I recall, the Vatican had Hitch provide an opposing view during Mother Theresa's canonization.

I respect them both.
    Agree. I think Mother Theresa's heart was in the right place, but I think it's fair game to state the obvious here: which is that the most proven method of reducing poverty throughout the world is to not have more mouths than you can feed. RCC stance on BC flies in the face of this.
    I'm not at all trying to convince you of the doctrine. However, it's far more nuanced than that.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    Mods, smart people, a ????

There was a quote or sentiment from a Locke-era European political philosopher on the notion of free speech, which had something like that even falsehoods serve to make truth more evident. Anyone remember who that was?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Mods, smart people, a ????

There was a quote or sentiment from a Locke-era European political philosopher on the notion of free speech, which had something like that even falsehoods serve to make truth more evident. Anyone remember who that was?

@RaceBannon was there.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

alumni94 said:

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."

- Mother Teresa

Counter point...

As I recall, the Vatican had Hitch provide an opposing view during Mother Theresa's canonization.

I respect them both.
    Agree. I think Mother Theresa's heart was in the right place, but I think it's fair game to state the obvious here: which is that the most proven method of reducing poverty throughout the world is to not have more mouths than you can feed. RCC stance on BC flies in the face of this.
    I'm not at all trying to convince you of the doctrine. However, it's far more nuanced than that.
    Like much of life, it probably is. Another thread for another day, however.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Kill a few people, and they call you a murderer. Kill a million, and you’re a conqueror.

- Eric Qualen.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    “I hope they now go and take a look at the oranges, the oranges of the investigation, the beginnings of that investigation. You look at the origin of the investigation, where it started, how it started, who started it, whether it’s McCabe or Comey or a lot of them.

“Where does it go, how high up in the White House did it go? You will all get Pulitzer Prizes, OK? You’ll all get Pulitzer Prizes. You should have looked at it a long time ago and that’s the only thing that’s disappointing to me about the Mueller report.

“The Mueller report I wished covered the oranges, how it started, the beginnings of the investigation, how it started. It didn’t cover that, and for some reason none of that was discussed.”
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Fuck off!

- Race Bannon
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Fuck off!

- Race Bannon

I thought FUCK OFF was @Tequilla no?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Fuck off!

- Race Bannon

I thought FUCK OFF was @Tequilla no?
    Race was dropping F bombs centuries before Teq came on the scene.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." Archer
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    which reminds me Ed, how's your mom?

plastic man's sidekick as Plasticman turns his head inside out

MAD magazine (actually might have been a book)
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it

-George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter

“The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man… and give some back.” - Al Swearengen

I think I’ll make this my email signature at work.