Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Just one leg of the stool. You still have culture and cheap labor.

• Options

Sample pool, too small, and homicides rates have gone down in most cities since the early 90s.

But still, I am pretty sure the data shows, immigrants aren't any more likely to commit crimes than natives, unless they're super greasy and oily like @creepycoug

But what about sex trafficking and gangs and rapey culture?

I totally respect Steve Bannon (who himself said a lot of the southern border invasion stuff was dramatized) and other serious neo-cons, even though I don't entirely understand their long-game economis platform.

But the culture war pussies like OBK are a hard sell for me. Sorry, but cry me a fucking river. IDGAF.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,181
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sample pool, too small, and homicides rates have gone down in most cities since the early 90s.

But still, I am pretty sure the data shows, immigrants aren't any more likely to commit crimes than natives, unless they're super greasy and oily like @creepycoug

I totally respect Steve Bannon (who himself said a lot of the southern border invasion stuff was dramatized) and other serious neo-cons, even though I don't entirely understand their long-game economis platform.

But the culture war pussies like OBK are a hard sell for me. Sorry, but cry me a fucking river. IDGAF.

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Immigrants I would agree. Illegal immigrants, not so sure.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Is his fear of illegals more or less irrational than your fear of the Christian Right?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Is his fear of illegals more or less irrational than your fear of the Christian Right?
    You'll have to ask him.

I prefer an agnostic and small state and would much rather the mores by which I live my life be a product of my own private associations, including the church (if any) I choose to attend. If that makes me irrational, then color me crazy.

Of course I understand that our collective sense of right and wrong comes from somewhere, whether that be divine, ethereal or flawed social construct, or a subtle mix of the three. When any religious group tries to influence the political process, I take notice. I'm not so much afraid of Christians; I myself was brought up in a fairly intense Catholic tradition. I simply prefer, and have greater respect for, my fellow Americans who maintain their religiosity in a more private manner.

Back to culture. Whatever you take our culture to be and whatever it is some seek to protect against waves of culture changers, it is the product of a lot of past immigration. People come, they acclimate and they leave a little influence. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I would not have been the guy at the dock throwing garbage at Irish immigrants.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

You'll have to ask him.

I prefer an agnostic and small state and would much rather the mores by which I live my life be a product of my own private associations, including the church (if any) I choose to attend. If that makes me irrational, then color me crazy.

Of course I understand that our collective sense of right and wrong comes from somewhere, whether that be divine, ethereal or flawed social construct, or a subtle mix of the three. When any religious group tries to influence the political process, I take notice. I'm not so much afraid of Christians; I myself was brought up in a fairly intense Catholic tradition. I simply prefer, and have greater respect for, my fellow Americans who maintain their religiosity in a more private manner.

Back to culture. Whatever you take our culture to be and whatever it is some seek to protect against waves of culture changers, it is the product of a lot of past immigration. People come, they acclimate and they leave a little influence. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I would not have been the guy at the dock throwing garbage at Irish immigrants.
    Your irrational fear about how the Christian Right was dictating to you how you should live your life and how they "might" do something seems every bit as overblown maybe even more, than his fears regarding immigrants.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Just to keep the record straight, I am for legal immigration and against illegal immigration. I think we have bigger problems than illegal immigration, but if there's cash available to make it better then you have my proxy to spend it. I also think the policy of intensive vetting has been a success and I unequivocally support Trump's policies in that regard. I've said so consistently. There is no question that it is the role of the federal government, through the Congress and the Executive Branch, to regulate who comes into the country and on what terms. Anybody who would seriously argue otherwise needs their heads examined.

I also think anybody who comes here should enjoy levels of belonging through phased-in citizenship, primarily as that relates to any kind of public assistance. There should also be a trial period during which the commission of any felony means instant deportation.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Perhaps you're right. Maybe we're both overreacting.

The change in abortion laws might challenge that a bit; but then again, I have no need to exercise that particular freedom, so I freely admit that one doesn't keep me up at night. I do, however, think it is particular fertile ground for testing the limits of states' rights and the reach of federalism. But that's for another thread.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,112
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

SFGbob said:

Just to keep the record straight, I am for legal immigration and against illegal immigration. I think we have bigger problems than illegal immigration, but if there's cash available to make it better then you have my proxy to spend it. I also think the policy of intensive vetting has been a success and I unequivocally support Trump's policies in that regard. I've said so consistently. There is no question that it is the role of the federal government, through the Congress and the Executive Branch, to regulate who comes into the country and on what terms. Anybody who would seriously argue otherwise needs their heads examined.

I also think anybody who comes here should enjoy levels of belonging through phased-in citizenship, primarily as that relates to any kind of public assistance. There should also be a trial period during which the commission of any felony means instant deportation.
    Is that just anybody anybody or anybody here legally?

• Options

SFGbob said:

Anybody anybody. If by our good graces you are admitted to the country, you should behave yourself and be productive before gaining full citizenship.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Anybody anybody. If by our good graces you are admitted to the country, you should behave yourself and be productive before gaining full citizenship.
    No, my question was - if someone is here illegally - they also get full public assistance?

Or are you saying anybody who comes here via LEGAL means is eligible for public assistance?

• Options

SFGbob said:

No, my question was - if someone is here illegally - they also get full public assistance?

Or are you saying anybody who comes here via LEGAL means is eligible for public assistance?

Illegal - deported so of course nothing. I mean the very first thing you did was break the law. Gotta go.

Legal - trial period no felony or you get deported and no public assistance until you've worked and paid taxes for ten years. 20 if you like that better.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Illegal - deported so of course nothing. I mean the very first thing you did was break the law. Gotta go.

Legal - trial period no felony or you get deported and no public assistance until you've worked and paid taxes for ten years. 20 if you like that better.
    Ok. Just seeking clarity.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,638
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    If I like my illegals can I keep them