Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Home Repair Season

LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,569
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
a bit ago there was a thread about what projects everyone is working on - well here is the final stages of me removing all the wall paper in the house.

This house is hell for stout - built in 1911 and modified a few times. One of the changes was to add drywall, then wall paper throughout - I think that was done in the early 70's time frame and all the plumbing and electrical, well most of it, was also updated.
At the top of the stairs the landing is the last area upstairs to do, so I had to build a small walkway to get into the areas we can't reach - you know the antithesis of a @YellowSnow house where he can touch the second story from the basement.

Anyway, right in the middle of the wall was an obvious crease that I know I was going to have to smooth the drywall out, retape and plaster again before painting. I found out on Wednesday that I am having surgery to fix my left shoulder so I am rushing to finish this area. As I start taking the wall paper off I get to the crease and the tape just pulls off the entire joint. I start messing around with it and realize that it isn't drywall but in this one wall they put 1/8 inch thick press board? I cut a little bit of the press board away and damned if the entire wall isn't ship lap.

The entire house is ship lap inside and out we already knew, but this is only the second place we could actually expose the wood. I have a lot of clean up to do and Mrs. Lebam said not to worry about getting the work done before surgery. In the picture you can see some of the original wall paper from 1911, and the white line shows where a couple of the panels butted up to each other.

I know CSB

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,302
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Joanna would be so happy.

She really did make it famous again

Every designer uses it now
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2019
    Be sure to put in a fucking rolling barn door somewhere
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

I have a fucking rolling barn door in the barn
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    LebamDawg said:

BearsWiin said:

I have a fucking rolling barn door in the barn
    Good. That's where they fucking belong

NOT IN A FUCKING HOUSE
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,699
    Founders Club

Ohhhhhh Joanna. Landing strip, shaved, or au naturale?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,230

Ohhhhhh Joanna. Landing strip, shaved, or au naturale?
    She’s Asian

Sideways.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/modern-farmhouse-is-so-done/

“It is beyond time for this trend to die. Aesthetics aside, sliding barn doors are terrible at being doors. They don't create any kind of seal between the wall and the door, so they do almost nothing to block out sound, and light and odors seep in through the sides.

They always feel kind of rickety, like the bottom of the door really wishes that it could be in a more secure track. Plus they are essentially designed to squash the fingers of young children left unattended near them. I've just never understood the appeal.

Furthermore, you have to give up an entire section of the wall for when the door is in the open position, so when it's closed you're staring at a blank wall topped by a heavy metal track.

Mark my words, barn doors are going to be the beaded curtains of our age. Our grandchildren are just going to look at them and ask, "Someone did this on purpose?"
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    The goat story ... yeah ... you've gone FULL Lebam.

Congrats or condolences as the case may be.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,569
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

“It is beyond time for this trend to die. Aesthetics aside, sliding barn doors are terrible at being doors. They don't create any kind of seal between the wall and the door, so they do almost nothing to block out sound, and light and odors seep in through the sides.

They always feel kind of rickety, like the bottom of the door really wishes that it could be in a more secure track. Plus they are essentially designed to squash the fingers of young children left unattended near them. I've just never understood the appeal.

Furthermore, you have to give up an entire section of the wall for when the door is in the open position, so when it's closed you're staring at a blank wall topped by a heavy metal track.

Mark my words, barn doors are going to be the beaded curtains of our age. Our grandchildren are just going to look at them and ask, "Someone did this on purpose?"

after this rebuttal about barn doors I am headed to the barn and will remove all the damn doors. Doesn't really matter, the goats won't know.

Which reminds me - I am participating in a USDA goat survey. the USDA has been out twice and this last time did blood tests, poop tests, and vag swabs. I was holding the goats, the vet was doing all the dirty deeds, etc. One goat (a doe) got pissed when we were finishing up on her best friend. Didn't get pissed at me as I am the king of the herd. Got pissed at the vet, she was the one molesting my poor little goats. Then finished up and wormed them all. This weekend to complete the survey I am going to pick up goat poop. Freeze it and send it off to the USDA for follow up ANALyses. Mrs Lebam stated that is a must before I have surgery

I know - another CSB
    Goat Survey Superiority Guy
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

after this rebuttal about barn doors I am headed to the barn and will remove all the damn doors. Doesn't really matter, the goats won't know.

Which reminds me - I am participating in a USDA goat survey. the USDA has been out twice and this last time did blood tests, poop tests, and vag swabs. I was holding the goats, the vet was doing all the dirty deeds, etc. One goat (a doe) got pissed when we were finishing up on her best friend. Didn't get pissed at me as I am the king of the herd. Got pissed at the vet, she was the one molesting my poor little goats. Then finished up and wormed them all. This weekend to complete the survey I am going to pick up goat poop. Freeze it and send it off to the USDA for follow up ANALyses. Mrs Lebam stated that is a must before I have surgery

I know - another CSB

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,230
    Swaye said:

This thread explains so much about @LebamDawg

Also, goat herders are never lonely.

Mrs. Throbber v2.0 wants to rent some goats for noxious weed control at the G&R Compound. Apparently the rental goats come over complete with fencing and go to town wolfing down weeds.

With @swayes revelation in mind, I may need to rethink my opposition.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

when the does go into heat, Mrs. Lebam always says "your girls are calling"
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

Swaye said:

when the does go into heat, Mrs. Lebam always says "your girls are calling"

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,352
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just in the last two weeks, I've been pretty busy at my Diplomacy and Atheism Compound°. I got power hooked up to the new shop I've been building, shoveled a yard of sand to backfill the poco's work pit at the power pole, bent and hung 35 sticks of 3/4" EMT to pull wire to lighting fixtures and outlets, wired up 13 outlets and two of the 14 light fixtures (enough for now), pulled a fat bundle of #6 wire through 75 feet of conduit to wire up the water heater for the shop sink, and started soldering up the radiant boiler panel.

In the middle of this, I had to head over to my brother's house for 16 hours over two days of ridiculously shitty giant beam lifting. His house was built in 2006 by a man who should be strapped into a perpetual nut-kicking machine for the rest of his life. Either there was a failure at the plan review stage to allow such a rickety structure to be approved or a failure at the inspection stage to catch cheating the plans or both. Either way, the guy had a death wish or something and framed a workout room (treadmill, weight set, etc.) over the garage using the flimsiest storage trusses I've ever seen: 2x8 lower cord for a 13' span and the rest all 2x4 (with only a single cross-webbing), and on 24" centers. The middle of his garage ceiling sagged a good two inches. His 16' garage door header is also two plies short of what should have been there, so the garage door header--in a load bearing wall under a second story--sags in the middle so much that the siding above it is popping out. Sheetrock all the way on the other side of the house is pulling out the nails (too cheap for screws...), and the whole place is a mess.

Engineer specified MASSIVE LVL beams landing on posts buried in the stud cavities to bring the floor back up to the right height and keep it there. These things are 18" tall by 29' long after being cut to length. Each 1.75" ply weighs about 200 pounds by my guess, and I cut them to exactly fit inside the walls, so moving them around was a motherfucker (think maneuvering a couch down an enclosed staircase, only the couch is almost 30 feet long and weighs 200 pounds). The rear beam--at five plies thick, this thing is nearly nine inches wide and weighs about a thousand pounds when screwed together (using about 50 very large and expensive screws)--had to be supported by a bracket on one side due to proximity to a door. This beam carrier is the largest that Simpson makes, has to be special ordered, weighs 25 pounds, is held up by over 70 screws, and cost over $200.

Anyway, we had to screw on that beam carrier bracket, lift all five plies of the beam up into it, jack the other end of the beam up into place, screw the beam together, install the post under the free end (a nailed-together stack of five 2x6es), hole the posts for wire runs (which had to be pulled and re-wired), and then start all over with the middle four-ply beam. I hurt everywhere for four days after that, and only seriously heavy drinking last night finally pushed me over edge to feeling normal again.

Some time in the next couple of months, we're going to use a third such beam as a temporary support to hold the front wall up while we tear all the framing out and re-frame it with the proper sized garage door header and another post to hold a fourth, perpendicular beam. It's going to be a fucking mess, and the bids to re-side the house afterward are coming in at about $65K. My brother and I have matching soul-crushing second mortgages to pay for our shitty house renovations, so we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @1to392831weretaken

wood have been easier to tear down and start over. Short and concise not TL:DR stuff
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,352
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    House built bad. I lift beams. They big and heavy. Lots of other tedious work. No goats involved. CSB.

But, yeah, one builder he had out to look at it actually said exactly that about preferring to tear it down and start over.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

House built bad. I lift beams. They big and heavy. Lots of other tedious work. No goats involved. CSB.

But, yeah, one builder he had out to look at it actually said exactly that about preferring to tear it down and start over.

Legit CSB.