Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Would you prefer college football return to the bowls-only era?

124»

Comments

• Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Yes, I liked it the way it was before the BCS and playoff format
    Axe John Carroll University how well the D-III selection process works:
    https://www.news-herald.com/sports/john-carroll-football-denied-a-ncaa-d-iii-playoff-bid/article_560f8ffe-0999-11ea-94ef-ab258a7f28f3.html

Also, they don’t play neutral site games in the D-III tourney. And the incentive to win the Pac traditionally was the Rose Bowl. Thanks for proving all my points, though.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited November 2019
    No, I like what they're trying to do to crown a true champion with a playoff
    TTJ said:

Axe John Carroll University how well the D-III selection process works:
    https://www.news-herald.com/sports/john-carroll-football-denied-a-ncaa-d-iii-playoff-bid/article_560f8ffe-0999-11ea-94ef-ab258a7f28f3.html

Also, they don’t play neutral site games in the D-III tourney. And the incentive to win the Pac traditionally was the Rose Bowl. Thanks for proving all my points, though.

Actually you haven't convinced me in the least. I'm even more leaning to an eight team playoff. And you pretty much didn't answer any of the questions I posed so there is that.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m not sure an 8 team playoff would really solve the non conference scheduling. A little bit, but these coaches also pad their record with easy wins in order to get extensions.

The NCAA needs to put their foot down and not allow teams to schedule more than one game against a non P5 team. College football would be so much better for everyone if there weren’t so many useless games.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,108
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    45 boomers identified.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    salemcoog said:

We don’t have a playoff now. We have a popularity contest in which 1 or 2 teams clearly deserve their spot and the rest win a political, popularity contest.

I don’t care whether a teams fans can travel to 3 or 4 playoff games. But if you are gonna have a true playoff, that’s what needs to happen.

And fuck a conference champion auto bid. You are just rewarding potential mediocrity with that.

And for those that say that not having auto bids for a conference champion takes away the meaning of it. Tell me you guys weren’t excited after you recent P12 titles.

Because you were. As you should have been.

There is no way to completely get rid of the popularity contest. Even with 8 teams, the 3 at large’s would be debatable. It would water down those complaints tho because winning the conference would get you in.

I disagree that winning a conference championship rewards mediocrity. Don’t care what conference it is, winning it is tough and deserves to be rewarded.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Keep the playoff system at four teams to keep it elite. Auto bids for conference champions is dumb. Having only 4 spots ensures only the teams who play the best ball are represented in the final four at the end of the season. It's a big motivation factor.

If a team can win the conference and get through the 3 games in the playoff they deserve it. Yes, every couple of years a 9 win team would win their conference championship game and make the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, they would have to beat 3 really good teams to win the natty. I don’t see how that story would be a bad thing.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,244
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    TTJ said:

ESPN has reduced the entire CFB season to an elaborate ad campaign for its playoff spectacle. All the oxygen gets sucked up by the top 8-10 teams, and the committee intrigue. The other 90+% of the sport--where most of the fun happens--gets drowned out.

College football is never going to be the NFL. It's inescapably lumpy and provincial and full of inequities and biases. That's what makes it great. Because there are so many teams, and so few games, you will never design a playoff format that can escape the influence of polls and computers and committees and subjectivity.

The playoff, like the BCS before it, has proved great for the profiteers and terrible for the sport. In fifty years, tOSU and Bammer fans probably won't even remember which of their teams won the 2015 beauty contest. But you can bet your ass BYU and UW fans will still be debating who should have been the mythical National Champion in 1984. Gimme back my Rose Bowl, dammit.

That second paragraph is a thing of beauty
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

TTJ said:

whuggy said:

TTJ said:

ESPN has reduced the entire CFB season to an elaborate ad campaign for its playoff spectacle. All the oxygen gets sucked up by the top 8-10 teams, and the committee intrigue. The other 90+% of the sport--where most of the fun happens--gets drowned out.

College football is never going to be the NFL. It's inescapably lumpy and provincial and full of inequities and biases. That's what makes it great. Because there are so many teams, and so few games, you will never design a playoff format that can escape the influence of polls and computers and committees and subjectivity.

The playoff, like the BCS before it, has proved great for the profiteers and terrible for the sport. In fifty years, tOSU and Bammer fans probably won't even remember which of their teams won the 2015 beauty contest. But you can bet your ass BYU and UW fans will still be debating who should have been the mythical National Champion in 1984. Gimme back my Rose Bowl, dammit.

I'm curious. So why does every other NCAA sport have a playoff and it works, yet you think football is the one exception? Honestly interested in where people are coming from. An 8 team playoff just seems the simplest thing in the world to me and it would greatly improve the regular season. That's my motivation. Getting the regular season
    back to interesting games instead of scheduling walkovers that you can beat by 50.
    I’ve already explained it: Too many teams, too few games. In basketball, you have a 68-team tourney to mitigate the influence of subjectivity. But you can’t do that in football.

An 8-team tourney solves nothing. The selection process and seeding would still be heavily dependent on subjectivity. There’s always gonna be a #9. And no fanbase can possibly travel cross-country in stadium numbers on short notice three weeks in a row. So you’re either going to play first-round games in half-empty neutral stadiums *or* you’ve going to bestow home field advantage in the selection process—thus even further compounding your subjectivity problem. There’s no escaping it.

The bowls were perfect for everyone but the profiteers. The Playoff, like the old BCS, is a solution in search of a problem.
    So why does it work for Division 3 with 16 teams? And what's the incentive to win your conference if it doesn't guarantee you a spot? And why risk a loss in regular season by scheduling strong? And why not try to eliminate the ESPN/SEC bias in selecting the four?

See attached for 99.9% of sports fans' opinion about DIII playoffs. The other response to your post shows you it apparently doesn't work.

What mouth-breathers on here think March Madness (ILTCIMM, ILTDT) really selects the best team?
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited November 2019

Going back to the Bowls would be lame now after we’ve already had the playoff. The bets should play the best.

With the old bowl system an undefeated team would sometimes play a team with 3 losses. Ohio State being undefeated and playing a 2-3 loss Oregon or Utah team would suck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Rose_Bowl

7-4 vs 10-1. 7-4 for the win. The game didn't suck. Neither did the 7-4 team.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Going back to the Bowls would be lame now after we’ve already had the playoff. The bets should play the best.

With the old bowl system an undefeated team would sometimes play a team with 3 losses. Ohio State being undefeated and playing a 2-3 loss Oregon or Utah team would suck.

That’s a nostalgic memory for you. The rest of the country doesn’t want to see that. Not sure what you think you have proven.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

We don’t have a playoff now. We have a popularity contest in which 1 or 2 teams clearly deserve their spot and the rest win a political, popularity contest.

I don’t care whether a teams fans can travel to 3 or 4 playoff games. But if you are gonna have a true playoff, that’s what needs to happen.

And fuck a conference champion auto bid. You are just rewarding potential mediocrity with that.

And for those that say that not having auto bids for a conference champion takes away the meaning of it. Tell me you guys weren’t excited after you recent P12 titles.

Because you were. As you should have been.

This is more or less how I see it. In some respects, it's not all that different in that your admission ticket is a product of 'eye test'. Sometimes eye test is great: SOS, margin of victory, etc. etc.

Sounds an awful lot like how we filled spots in many of the bowls.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

That’s a nostalgic memory for you. The rest of the country doesn’t want to see that. Not sure what you think you have proven.

You've missed the point, your argument is facile.

Here's another example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Sugar_Bowl

The Cheerios Bowl. 9-3 vs 10-1. 9-3 for the win. The game didn't suck and neither did the 9-3 team.

And by the way, the Rose Bowl mattered prior to the BCS era. Now it doesn't. That's not nostalgia, it's simple fact. Without a "true" playoff, my preference is to go back to the bowl system. New Year's Day was a lot more fun under that model. And yes, that part is nostalgia.

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Here's another example.

The Cheerios Bowl. 9-3 vs 10-1. 9-3 for the win. The game didn't suck and neither did the 9-3 team.

And by the way, the Rose Bowl mattered prior to the BCS era. Now it doesn't. That's not nostalgia, it's simple fact. Without a "true" playoff, my preference is to go back to the bowl system. New Year's Day was a lot more fun under that model. And yes, that part is nostalgia.

Here's another example.

Here's another example.

My point was that nobody, or at least very few, want to watch the #1 team face a 2-3 loss team in their bowl game, which happened with the old system.

If it were the first game of an 8 game playoff, that would be fine, but not to end the season like that.

I never said teams needed to be undefeated for the games to be entertaining.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,244
    Founders Club

UW was 10-2 after the Mississippi State and UCLA forfeits
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    I have already given you all the best system and you all know it.

5 auto bid from each conference makes the conference championship game actually matter
    6 teams in 3 play-in games hosted at higher ranked team so the rankings still matter even if you dont win your conference or are a non P5 team.

8 team playoff with first round hosted at highest seeded home field still heavily rewards winning out
    final 4 and championship hosted at traditional bowl sites

removal of pointless div2/fcs dreck games
    requirement of cross conference P5 OOC games
    requirement of conference championship game

The playoff is still simple and exclusive
    MAJOR homefield games for good teams/fans
    Still have neutral/historic bowl games
    Still allows for ESPN and self important fucktards on some committee to wank itself off about who is in or not.

Dont want to care about being subjectively ranked? Win your conference
    Didnt win the conference AND you werent in the next 6 highest ranked teams you cant really complain about being left out.

Im right, and its too good of a system to ever be implemented.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Here's another example.

The Rose Bowl matters every other year now, whenever it hosts a playoff semi-final. Whether or not a PAC 12 team is represented there. So it means more now than it used to. The old Rose Bowl you repine for is now a second tier consolation prize for the first losers out of the playoffs. Who wants to play a stupid BIG 10 team every year, besides.