Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Whiffing on the entire 2020 class and then taking a commit from Grant does not feel unlike losing to Oregon and Stanford and then taking a long snapper.

We knew this commitment was coming and it’s probably a good thing but meh.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Whiffing on the entire 2020 class and then taking a commit from Grant does not feel unlike losing to Oregon and Stanford and then taking a long snapper.

We knew this commitment was coming and it’s probably a good thing but meh.

i trust the coaches................NOT.......@firehop
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He’s good. I like 6”10 guys who can spread the floor because they can shoot. Perfect for our system.
  • Options

dnc said:
    Despite popular belief, that is not Jaden McDaniels' Twitter.
    HUH?????????????

https://twitter.com/Jmcdaniels7
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,984
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:
    Despite popular belief, that is not Jaden McDaniels' Twitter.
    HUH?????????????

https://twitter.com/Jmcdaniels7

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I like the idea of Grant. A big shooter that is the #51 player in the country. He’s not good enough to go pro for a couple years but his shooting lets him see the floor early. We need 3-4 year types no matter what, but especially if we are going to continue to bring in one and done types. One and done types without those type of guys around them are useless.

we are fucked next year, but this year will speshul
  • Options
    FirePete said:

I like the idea of Grant. A big shooter that is the #51 player in the country. He’s not good enough to go pro for a couple years but his shooting lets him see the floor early. We need 3-4 year types no matter what, but especially if we are going to continue to bring in one and done types. One and done types without those type of guys around them are useless.

Next year is the year we find out if Hop can develop. Bey, Battle, Quade, Wright, Hardy, Roberts, BPJ could be a tourney caliber team if development is maximized, especially if they can snag one or two key grad transfers, portals and/or kids who ask out if their LOIs after their coach leaves (like Naz and Dickerson did).

There’s still potential for next year but it won’t be as good as this year certainly.

LIFPO
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    This is the type of recruit (2-3 year players) that helps win championships. Oregon has learned that the "one and done" method isn't working. Oregon's success mostly comes from 2-3 year starters or graduate transfers. I think graduate transfers can be far more impactful than non lottery pick "one and dones"
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This is the type of recruit (2-3 year players) that helps win championships. Oregon has learned that the "one and done" method isn't working. Oregon's success mostly comes from 2-3 year starters or graduate transfers. I think graduate transfers can be far more impactful than non lottery pick "one and dones"

Everyone but Kentucky realizes that. Look how Duke runs their roster. Juniors and seniors have experience that's impossible to replace.
  • Options
    dnc said:

FirePete said:

Next year is the year we find out if Hop can develop. Bey, Battle, Quade, Wright, Hardy, Roberts, BPJ could be a tourney caliber team if development is maximized, especially if they can snag one or two key grad transfers, portals and/or kids who ask out if their LOIs after their coach leaves (like Naz and Dickerson did).

There’s still potential for next year but it won’t be as good as this year certainly.

LIFPO
    I think we realized that last year. We won a game in the tourney.

I'm just glad hop realizes Jaden and Isaiah are gone. Romar would have stopped recruiting for three years if he landed them thinking they'd stay.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019

One and dones get the hype, but rarely win titles. Kentucky has won one title under Calipari. That team had Terrence Jones (sophomore), Dorian Lamb (sophomore), and Darius Miller (senior).

Duke has won one since they went heavy with one and done types. That team had Quinn Cook (senior), Amile Jefferson (junior), and Marshall Plumlee (junior).

Villanova has won two without any one and dones. Virginia last year was a veteran team.

North Carolina had a veteran team when they won.

So, one and dones aren’t really all they are cracked up to be. Duke had 3 last year that were top 10 picks and they didn’t win. You need a couple established players to mix with the one and dones to win. Nobody has won without having that.

The most valuable players in CBB are the ones that can play right away but stay for 3-4 years.

This UW team with Nowell would be legitimate contender to win. We are probably a player or two away right now but LIPO. We are going to be damn good.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Yes, it’s good to have veterans. Yes, a blended recruiting style can be helpful.

But the Dukes, UNCs, and Villanovas are hardly shying away from guys who project as early draft entrants.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    One and dones are largely an ego dick measuring contest.

Teams with talent that's matured and developed with continuity win.

But one and dones exists for money reasons so it is what it is.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

Yes, it’s good to have veterans. Yes, a blended recruiting style can be helpful.

But the Dukes, UNCs, and Villanovas are hardly shying away from guys who project as early draft entrants.

Villanova hasn’t had a single one and done that I can remember. I don’t think that’s their style. Same for Bennett at Virginia. Agree about UNC, but they are far from being like Duke and Kentucky.
  • Options

TTJ said:

Villanova hasn’t had a single one and done that I can remember. I don’t think that’s their style. Same for Bennett at Virginia. Agree about UNC, but they are far from being like Duke and Kentucky.
    I assume that's correct about Villanova and Virginia. If it is, makes it even more crazy three recruits we've gotten to come to UW. They've owned college basketball the last 6 or so years.