Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2020 Schedule

Because I am bored as fuck and the TSIO, I wanted to look ahead to next year. I looked when the last few Pac-12 schedules were released and found the 2018 schedule was released on 11/16/17 and the 2019 schedule was released on 12/4/18. So it looks like in the next 5 weeks we will see what our schedule will be and we can all start dooging.

Next year we have 7 Home games and 5 on the road

H - Michigan (9/5), Sacramento St. (9/12), Utah St. (9/19), Arizona, Colorado, Oregon St., Stanford

R - Cal, Oregon, USC, Utah, WSU (11/27)

Out of the 12 games it looks like UW will be seeing 8 new QB's. Those teams are Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, OSU, USC, Utah, and WSU. Sac St. and Utah St. will return their starters while the only Pac-12 teams we face to return their starters are Stanford (Mills) and Cal (Garbers). We will see 4 new starters out of the 8 on the road. I think this is huge because as much as our D has gone through its lumps they will be much better next year.

A few things I would like to see but I know we won't get.

- A bye before we go on the road to either Oregon or USC. The Pac-12 owes us.
- I want one of our byes before week 6. This year was 9 & 12 which definitely hurt us. 2018 was week 11. 2017 was week 8. That is unacceptable by the conference.

PS - The playoff locations next year are the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl. If Skinny comes back we will be playing in the Rose Bowl. If not, we will be playing in the
Denny's $5 Grand Slam Bowl in Topeka, Kansas. Go Dawgs!!

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,000 Founders Club

Because I am bored as fuck and the TSIO, I wanted to look ahead to next year. I looked when the last few Pac-12 schedules were released and found the 2018 schedule was released on 11/16/17 and the 2019 schedule was released on 12/4/18. So it looks like in the next 5 weeks we will see what our schedule will be and we can all start dooging.

Next year we have 7 Home games and 5 on the road

H - Michigan (9/5), Sacramento St. (9/12), Utah St. (9/19), Arizona, Colorado, Oregon St., Stanford

R - Cal, Oregon, USC, Utah, WSU (11/27)

Out of the 12 games it looks like UW will be seeing 8 new QB's. Those teams are Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, OSU, USC, Utah, and WSU. Sac St. and Utah St. will return their starters while the only Pac-12 teams we face to return their starters are Stanford (Mills) and Cal (Garbers). We will see 4 new starters out of the 8 on the road. I think this is huge because as much as our D has gone through its lumps they will be much better next year.

A few things I would like to see but I know we won't get.

- A bye before we go on the road to either Oregon or USC. The Pac-12 owes us.
    - I want one of our byes before week 6. This year was 9 & 12 which definitely hurt us. 2018 was week 11. 2017 was week 8. That is unacceptable by the conference.

PS - The playoff locations next year are the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl. If Skinny comes back we will be playing in the Rose Bowl. If not, we will be playing in the

The fact that every team but USC has 2 byes this year and UW didn’t get their first bye until week 9 didn’t do us any favors. I doubt having the bye earlier would’ve helped as Pete’s too goddamn stubborn to change his ways but you never know.

Jon Wilner has been beating the scheduling drum for a couple years now about the conference not helping itself but what do you expect when you hire a guy whose previous experience was in women’s tennis?
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    The DL and DB have a lot of future potential, BUT, the defense upper bound is capped so hard because of the ILB play.

The likelihood ILB is solved in the off season seems rather low, its going to take multiple true freshman currently red-shirting being ready to start next year. Which is hard to believe, because if they will be ready to play up to an appropriate level next year than they are probably close enough right now and should have played this year.

If Eason doesnt come back the offense is going to get worse. Getting Newton, Mcgrew, and Puka back from injury and a full season out of them will help. Actually playing the young (better) WRs will soften the blow a decent amount. I think the best thing you can hope for is the offense stays about the same but becomes more efficient on 3rd down.

So most likely, next year, the defense will improve a small amount but still struggle because of young/poor ILB play and the offense overall isnt quiet as good but is able to make up the loss of Eason by figuring out how to not plunger themselves on 3rd down.

10-3

Loses to Michigan, Oregon, USC
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,702 Founders Club
    It's the tuffest road league schedule you can get but we suck at home so it's all good
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    It’s the exact same road schedule we had last season, just swapping which LA school we play
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,702 Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

It’s the exact same road schedule we had last season, just swapping which LA school we play

We went 3 and 2 on the road in conference but still won the league last year

3 home league losses this year. So far. Only a road loss at Stanford which might as well be Bama when we play there

Good teams win anywhere and we will need to be good to not get into a shitty spiral of doom again
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,828 Swaye's Wigwam
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Utah St likely will have a new QB ... good chance he goes pro because depending on who you listen to for draft rankings he's rated as having more upside than Skinny

I wouldn't be convinced that Skinny's leaving yet ... he's going to get absolutely hammered by the NFL in their evaluation with respect to pocket awareness and throwing against pressure. You don't get better at that per se by running drills as a backup at the NFL level.
    edited November 2019
    Tequilla said:

Utah St likely will have a new QB ... good chance he goes pro because depending on who you listen to for draft rankings he's rated as having more upside than Skinny

I wouldn't be convinced that Skinny's leaving yet ... he's going to get absolutely hammered by the NFL in their evaluation with respect to pocket awareness and throwing against pressure. You don't get better at that per se by running drills as a backup at the NFL level.

In hand; he probably has a top 25 overall pick secured.

If he comes back; he could play his way into a top 5 overall pick OR play poorly and likely still get drafted in the middle or late second round.

2017:

Trubitsky (2) : 29 million
    Mahomes (10) : 16 million
    Watson (12): 14 million
    Kizer (52): 5 million (3 guaranteed)
    Webb (87): Less than Jake Browning got.

2018:

Mayfield (1) : 33 million
    Darnold (2): 30 million
    Allen (7): 21 million
    Rosen (10): 18 million
    Jackson (32): 9 million (7.5 guaranteed)
    Rudolph (76): 4 million (1 guaranteed)

Taking that data and running it through a very basic and rough trend-line...

In theory and very roughly... and not taking into account things like yearly increasing contracts or anything...

IF Eason is drafted around 5 he will get around 21 million
    IF Eason is drafted around 25 he will get around 10 million
    IF Eason is drafted around 45 he will get around 6 million
    IF Eason is drafted around 60 he will get around 4 million

Coming back... I think you could say that Eason could "lose" 4 million OR "gain" 11 million OR anything in between... IDK, Im sure some gambling addict/expert like @DHD could logic out the appropriate risk/reward calculation.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Coming back... I think you could say that Eason could "have Bush as his OC" OR "gain a "new OC who will be learning on the job and have to spend a short 6 months figuring out that chart shit"... IDK, I"m sure some gambling addict/expert like @DHD could logic out the appropriate risk/reward calculation.
    edited November 2019
    Meek said:

Coming back... I think you could say that Eason could "have Bush as his OC" OR "gain a "new OC who will be learning on the job and have to spend a short 6 months figuring out that chart shit"... IDK, I"m sure some gambling addict/expert like @DHD could logic out the appropriate risk/reward calculation.

If Bush is fired than either UW will run the same offense regardless of who is hired because its actually Petes offense or the new guy will know what he is doing and have the resume to back it up and the offense will be better.

There is no scenario where Pete actually gives the offense he has been running the entire time to someone who is learning on the job or is worse than him.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Any talk of Eason coming back is crazy. Every quarterback regresses the longer they're in this offense. He'd have absolutely nothing to gain.

It's hard to predict next season when I'm the idiot who thought the team was going to be good this year. Why?

1.) Eason's arm would allow for a complete NFL playbook, unclog the box, and open running lanes.

...Big gap between reason 1 and every other reason...

2.) The offensive line would return five starters, with two of them earning prior all-conference honors and another being Kirkland, who looked like a fucking stud in the making last year.

3.) [Retard Alert] Receivers would come off redshirts and push the seniors, with an improved outcome either way.

4.) [Retard Alert] The defense would be even better than the previous year, for the reason listed below:

5.) Player development/reloading. The biggest improvement from players more often than not comes between their first year of playing time and the second. You see flashes of something their first year, then they come out the following season with a better understanding of what they're doing and play faster and with more confidence. They're also just stronger and better conditioned. Think redshirt-sophomore Victor, sophomore Adams, Center, Vita Virta, Gaines, Sydney Jones, etc. Some positions take longer on average for a player to get "fully there," but there's almost always a big jump in one offseason, and that jump usually happens pretty early in the career and usually coincides with some actual game action to condition their brain/body.

Losing eight or nine defensive starters or not, I thought this would be that year for a number of players. Who wasn't excited about Tryon's trajectory at the end of last season? Or Keith Taylor, who was a fucking animal in limited action in the rover position late in the season? Or Molden getting full starter minutes? Who didn't have a sweatpants boner for Tuli and Taki plugging up the middle, fresh off of a year of Socha's rhino cum program? With Onwuzurike next to them, one-gapping and embarrassing o-linemen like he was at the end of last season? I know @Doog_de_Jour had a sweatpants boner, ammirite, Pup? Linebacker was the only position I was really worried about, but Wellington looked really good in relief of BBK last year at the end of the season, and there'd be like a half dozen young four-stars to choose from to play next to him, plus the move of Ngata inside was intriguing.

Even on offense, who wasn't expecting exactly what we've been seeing out of Otton and Bryant? Who didn't think the young receivers wouldn't provide a sizeable bump, especially with Eason throwing to them? The only area where I thought we'd see a painful drop would be losing Gaskin, because it's just hard to replicate what that guy brought to the offense in the clutch.

6.) The schedule couldn't have been more favorable from a home/away standpoint. I had Stanford pegged as the only sure loss, but that's when I expected Stanford to be actually good. How this season has played out--for a number of teams in this conference--just doesn't make sense to me.

Enough with the reasons; this season has shaken some fundamental beliefs I had about this program. I thought 2019 was a near-sure return trip to the conference championship game because I thought Eason would more than compensate for the loss of Gaskin and the defense would be fine because trust the coaches--"this staff is one of the best in the country at evaluating and developing talent, and this strength and conditioning program is the best in the country, and that mustachioed prolapsed anus to the south can eat a dick with his rubberband curls."

This season tells me those beliefs were wrong. The "amazing S&C program" being the most obvious and laughable, as this is clearly a team that's only good for about two and a half quarters, and Douchestache is laughing his way to a conference championship. As for being master developers, the offensive line is no better than they were, the receivers are just as shitty only now suddenly can't even catch either, the linebackers are the worst position group on any team in the conference, and the secondary is a mess. I thought Tryon would be all-conference, but he spent the first half of the season looking like he had no idea what he was doing. Onwuzurike went like four games before I even heard his name. Wellington... no comment. Keith Taylor became a double amputee who can't tackle. Molden is at best a wash with where he was last year. McKinney can't even get on the field over a couple of skinny freshmen. And what the fuck happened to Hampton being this giant lockdown corner who's impossible to complete a pass against?

Eason's been exactly as advertised, and yet there are only three players on the whole fucking team who actually look like they improved in the offseason, and that's Dick Newton RIP, Myles Bryant, and Ryan Bowman. And that's how you get to 5-4.

So next year? Fuck it, I don't know. Zero confidence at this point. Goodbye Skinny, hello random quarterback lottery. Hello redshirt freshman linebackers, but I no longer have any faith in the staff's ability to have them ready. I used to think the one thing you could count on was the steadiness of the program under Petersen, but this year broke that. I'm not confident in a great season next year at all. LIPO.

I agree with it all. The most perplexing thing to me is that Eason is playing about as well as we ever could have expected (even with those massive fuck ups last week), yet we're terrible. I legitimately thought that once we lost the stench of Browning we'd finally be able to win close games and open up the play book.

Well we somehow got worse in late game situations. We've now blown three 4th quarter leads, which was never a hallmark of Pete prior to this season. The ILB thing was somewhat predictable, though it's still worse than any of us ever would've guessed.

But it's the plateauing of defensive players who were supposed to be "the next guys up" that has truly fucked us. None of our great DBs from the 2018 class have looked even serviceable this year. Tryon can turn it on for a quarter, but is ultimately nothing more than an underwear Olympian. Keith Taylor is sleep walking out there and makes Deion Sanders look like a sure tackler. Something is broken on the defensive side of the ball.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Houhusky said:

The DL and DB have a lot of future potential, BUT, the defense upper bound is capped so hard because of the ILB play.

The likelihood ILB is solved in the off season seems rather low, its going to take multiple true freshman currently red-shirting being ready to start next year. Which is hard to believe, because if they will be ready to play up to an appropriate level next year than they are probably close enough right now and should have played this year.

If Eason doesnt come back the offense is going to get worse. Getting Newton, Mcgrew, and Puka back from injury and a full season out of them will help. Actually playing the young (better) WRs will soften the blow a decent amount. I think the best thing you can hope for is the offense stays about the same but becomes more efficient on 3rd down.

So most likely, next year, the defense will improve a small amount but still struggle because of young/poor ILB play and the offense overall isnt quiet as good but is able to make up the loss of Eason by figuring out how to not plunger themselves on 3rd down.

10-3

Loses to Michigan, Oregon, USC

I read somewhere (maybe doogman) that Ah You is looking good. Between him, Calvert, and Heimulu, one has to be good. Then we have Ngata, Tafisi, Sirmon, and Ulofosio. No sure things, but we will have an upgrade in talent and depth.

Can’t know anything until we see them and none of the current guys getting PT makes me all that optimistic, but we have to get better at ILB. It’s too important of a position to get nothing from. We don’t even have an average PAC 12 starter at ILB. It’s inexcusable.

Wellington plays ILB and had zero tackles against Utah. They run the ball probably 60% of the time too. It’s crazy.
    That goes far beyond Locker's 4 of 20 passing against Nebraska for statistical pathetic absurdity.
    I would give Wellington a B for his performance bs the Utes.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    If Hamden is here next year, you can bring Hunter/Eason/Gaskin/Kaleb all back and it won't make a difference with that road schedule.

Defense will be back to giving up closer to what they did in 16-18 than this year, but b/c of the unknown play at ILB I think it will be around 21 ppg.

When I see predictions of 9/10 wins I doog lol. With the offense being broke and potentially 7 starters being replaced including 3 on the OL there are going to be games we can't score enough to win PLUS we haven't talked about the 1-2 games a year where we just lose to inferior teams b/c we aren't ready and/or aren't interested in.

This teams ceiling next year is 8-4 with roster and current staff as it sits right now.