Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Regarding the Young Talent™

PGOS's reminiscing about 2015 made me think about the difference with young players from then to now. 2015 had Gaines, Virta, Gaskin, Butta, Trey (RIP), McGary and a couple others that made you say w,jw on the regular.

2019, I don't know. McDuffie might be the only one consistently for me. Puka I guess, but now a much-documented health problem. A couple of the DTs have been good at times, but none have had anywhere near the performance that #MyGaines did against USC in 2015.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,047
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tuli and Taki still look like they will be monsters in the coming years. Almost all of our great DTs have taken a few years to develop.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Tuli and Taki still look like they will be monsters in the coming years. Almost all of our great DTs have taken a few years to develop.

Marlon loss is really hurting us
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,047
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think what Tuli is doing is pretty comparable time what Gaines did in his redshirt freshman year.

Tuli probably has the higher ceiling. Guys like Tuli and Vea are multi year investments because they are so out of shape. It can’t be done in a year. Tuli still does well because he’s so strong, but I bet if you watched him every play, there are plays where his effort is shit because he’s tired and it’s hard for a guy that big to always play hard.

It's not like our coaching staff just forget how to develop interior DL. In a few years we might be looking at DL play the likes of which we haven't seen since the early 90s.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

Vita and Gaines held that Alabama team to a standstill for much of the game. They covered up much of the weaknesses until the team was eventually Overwhelmed.

People forget that.

If we had depth plus the talent like that imagine ...

Vita and Gaines plus rotating tuli and taki plus bandes and faatui etc ... Peterman get your shit together!

There were some pretty average players that were ballin vs Alabama. Jaylen Johnson, Turpin, Tevis. They were confident and that matters a lot. We aren’t confident like we were back then.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t think either will be a star, but I wouldn’t write off Cam Williams or Kyler Gordon. By their junior and senior years they could be pretty good starters. They also could get passed up. Williams doesn’t even play anymore. If he can even get to being above average, his balls skills and playmaking ability will push him into the good to very good range.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Good poonts. But I'll DQ Otton & Kirkland because they started last year.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I appreciate the optimism @Houhusky & @DoogCourics . But you're mentioning a lot of guys who either haven't even played or only limited.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

I don’t think either will be a star, but I wouldn’t write off Cam Williams or Kyler Gordon. By their junior and senior years they could be pretty good starters. They also could get passed up. Williams doesn’t even play anymore. If he can even get to being above average, his balls skills and playmaking ability will push him into the good to very good range.

Williams. Talk about a guy who looked all world lining up against our WRs in camp. That don't translate to IRL.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I appreciate the optimism @Houhusky & @DoogCourics . But you're mentioning a lot of guys who either haven't even played or only limited.

If you are DQing guys who played last year doesn’t it really have anything to do with actual young talent (Tm) on the roster.

They are still young and talented.

You’ve basically only limited the pool to young players (Fr-So?), that didn’t start in previous years, that have played significant time this year. (Do puka or newton count?)

Chopping off the top and bottom bounds of playing time is obviously going to yield a small number.

How many guys fit in your starting parameters on the roster regardless of being talented? 5?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

If you are DQing guys who played last year doesn’t it really have anything to do with actual young talent (Tm) on the roster.

They are still young and talented.

You’ve basically only limited the pool to young players (Fr-So?), that didn’t start in previous years, that have played significant time this year. (Do puka or newton count?)

Chopping off the top and bottom bounds of playing time is obviously going to yield a small number.

How many guys fit in your starting parameters on the roster regardless of being talented? 5?
    I'm talking about 2019 equivalents of 2015 Gaskin, Gaines or McGary. First year players that have played well, if not consistently, then at least often enough to catch the eye. All I came up with first was McDuffie, but others rightly pointed out #MyDick. Puka has definitely flashed, but only flashes. Latu maybe too (honestly, what happened? Hurt?). Tuli/Taki are debatable. Mele is a good one.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019

Williams. Talk about a guy who looked all world lining up against our WRs in camp. That don't translate to IRL.
    He still had 3 picks in a quarter of the season. He is a bad tackler but that can improve with strength and reps. The most worrisome part was his breakdowns, giving up long TD passes when he was 20 yards deep before the snap.

I think the coaches got a little too excited and enamored with him early. He probably would be better off if he hadn’t played at all because getting benched can really hurt a guy’s confidence. I hope that’s not the case.

With most young guys, if they have one stand out skill, they end up being pretty good. Williams ball skills are really good. Kevin King sucked his first two years but was always a great athlete. Kyler Gordon is an amazing athlete.

Sirmon on the other hand, has no standout skill that makes me think there is something to work with.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    A lot of dooging going on here