Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

In Regards To Playing Time Questions

After the Arizona game I heard a clip from Bush saying that maybe the outside voices weren't wrong about playing Puka, and then against Oregon he gets the most reps of any WR. There were also questions in the game thread and after the game by many here why Cam Davis only had 2 carries even though he looked good, and then Pleasant had multiple carries even though he was awful.

For years, and especially so this season, there have been questions on why the hell Pete plays certain players and won't play other players. This season, it's why Opera Singer and Fuller are getting all the snaps despite dropping balls and not getting open. Why not Nacua or Bynum or Osborne or Spiker. I've mentioned a few times and places that I've always heard Pete say that the position coaches and coordinators decide playing time and who gets reps in each situation.

Well in today's presser Pete confirmed what I've been saying. Now, I got this from Ektard's review of the presser. So I didn't listen myself and I don't know the exact Pete quotes:

"Asked about Cameron Davis getting more carries in the Oregon game, Petersen said they weren't going to put him in for just two carries, but that's how it sort of worked out, but they feel like it's time for him to get more carries. Petersen said that the assistant coaches are the ones with the plans on how they want to use guys and who they want to get in and when and Keith Bhonapha and Bush Hamdan work in tandem to figure that stuff out. Petersen said that Davis has shown a lot of impressive things in practice and they feel like he could be ready to take on more reps."

It's fucking frustrating because I know it's Pete's offense. I know he is manipulating shit behind the scenes and has a heavy hand in the offensive game plan each week, then lets Lake and Kwat handle the defense with free reign. So while I'm sure Boner and Bush work in tandem to decide who gets in and in what situations, it's hard for me to not believe that Pete isn't meddling and saying to play certain players over others.

I don't even think it's about veterans over young kids because there is a history of true freshman and redshirt freshman and sophomores all having huge roles in the offense over the years. I just think he's meddling in regards to players he sees in practice, and who looks like they're getting it, and telling Bush and the position coaches to play them over kids who aren't getting it in practice but may turn it on in the games. I mean fucking Puka did it.

If Pete truly isn't meddling with who is playing and when, then he fucking needs to pull the coaches aside and tell them to take out players who aren't getting it done. I see him seethe when players fuck up their assignments, so fucking do something about it.

If Pete is full of shit and is actually telling the coaches to play certain players, then get the fuck out of your own way and stop fucking over this team.

I'm not exactly sure the purpose of this thread except I'm fucking frustrated after a week without football and thinking of the way this team has lost games due to both coaching decisions and players who aren't getting it done on the field and longing for some who will.

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    pete is going to put a lot of points of on the scoreboard of life
  • SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 369
    I think it’s just that he tears the coaches assholes open when players make mistakes so they become too pussy to risk playing young studs even when it’s the right thing to do.
    Priority becomes avoiding risk instead of evaluating it. Happens all the time in stale bureaucracies.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    imagine if we were sticking with the run and cycling in Cam Davis here and there in the Cal and Stanford games such that their defenses had to adjust to different styles and fresh backs. Davis wouldn't have had to shoulder much of a load but if he's worth playing at this point in the season it would have been interesting to know if he'd have made a difference (read the Tipping Point to see how small things can make a big difference) in both of those wins where our running game was doing great but we couldn't either manage the clock properly (Cal) or move the chains when we needed to (Furd).
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Peterman is full of shit. I think his loyalty bar is set really high as a quid pro quo for players to buy 110% into the built for life lifestyle.

If players fully buy in, don't cause trouble, stay off the academic casualty radar, don't get anyone pregnant or get their names into the local papers ... I think he feels that he owes some reciprocity to them in the form of trust and playing time.

That's what I think...

That concept by itself isn't a bad one ... There's goodness to it. But at the end of the day it has to be managed better than what he's doing.

You can't rely on the fans and media to tell him he's mismanaging his resources.

He's making 4.5 million reasons why he's got the big brain.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,672 Founders Club
    Quid pro quo?

I heard that's bad
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236

Quid pro quo?

I heard that's bad

Depends if there a hot woman involved
  • halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 215
    I get everyone is frustrated with Peterman on many levels myself included. But it is ridiculous most here hardly ever blame Junior for the gross misuse of WRs this season. Because he has pulled in a monster class of WR recruits this year?

While HH always had a lot to gripe about the personnel choice in the past, the injustice on WR choice this year is BY FAR the worst. In particular in the case of Puka (and Bynum to certain degree), he was clearly doing well even in practice and was put in games/started fairly early on but was criminally under utilized. Now despite Peterman's bullshit of attention to details, if you think he would actually instruct Junior and Hamdan to put Puka in the game but don't throw the balls to him because Opera Singer needs enough number of targets, you are fucking out of your mind. Yes, Peterman is ultimately responsible for what happened, but Junior is the one who is largely responsible for failing to properly use his WR groups.

In fact, I remember when everyone was surprised when Harris was inserted into the OL as a true freshman, Peterman told the story of Strauss pulling him aside in practice and told him to look at this new kid on the block and he was duly impressed. So there, Junior should have been able to sell Puka as a WR to Peterman easily if Strauss was able to sell Harris as a true freshman on offensive line -- a much harder position for a freshman to crack.