Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Big Takeaway from Postgame Interviews

2»

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    FirePete said:

This is a championship defense despite the inexperienced players and the holes at ILB...

But not without a competent offense.

I have to completely disagree here. Seeing what the defense does this season reinforces in my mind just how small the difference between pathetic and dominant are (and, therefore, how shitty teams can sometimes rise to the occasion).

Playing linebacker-free aside, I'm seeing something this season that I have NEVER seen from a Chris Petersen team: Players not wrapping up and missing tackles. And not just the freshmen. I watched maybe 60% of the game, and my count was three missed for Turner, one egregiously missed by Taylor, one by Tafisi, one by Bryant. That's just off the top of my head. All but Bryant's (JJ Taylor leaving his jock on the field) were from launching with a shoulder without even trying to wrap up. For such a fundamentals/detail-oriented system, I don't understand how this is still happening this late into the season.

I also don't understand how Molden keeps getting beaten badly on slants and shallow crosses every single game. It's not his fault; he shouldn't be put in that situation. Usually this means linebackers are not dropping into their zones, but it's almost as if it's by design, as Molden plays face-up on slot receivers with no help pretty frequently, and everybody has seen this film now. I'm starting to wonder if the staff just feels that relying on Molden to be Superman and allocating resources elsewhere is the safer bet.

Ryan Bowman is the best defensive tackle on the skwaad to this point in the season. He's making plays, getting into the backfield, being disruptive, and has a high motor. I don't mean to take a thing away from him when I ask, "How the fuck is this the case!?"

This defense is far from shitty PAC-12 championship caliber as-built, let alone national. I think the pieces are there for next season, assuming young linebackers can step up (ANYONE!) and freshmen gain 20 pounds, don't move closer to home, and learn to tackle. Although I think next season is going to be the, "Huh... Myles Bryant was gooooood" season (BBK hindsight 2.0). This year, though? There are enough components that are at 90% of the way there that, when put together, the defense as a whole is only 50% there.
    manu and wellington are such liability on the passing. they always seem to cause problems for other guys
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Rest assured, @MikeDamone tells me we! have a big dick QB.

Finally!!
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    Myles Bryant has been the best player on the team and it’s not close.

I thought Ngata looked good at ILB when he was in. Has he been hurt or has he just not seen the field much? Oregon will destroy us with RPO’s and attacking the middle of the field with Wellington and Manu. Give him a shot.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    I'm glad you can take this all away after beating the 2nd worst team in the pac

I'll let you know where ASU is after we best Oregon State
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,473 Founders Club
    I liked the feel of the game from the start even though the first half sucked and I was 81% on the way to hating Eason. But I just had a feeling we were in control because this game showed what a talent gap can do for you when it is in your favor. Pete took advantage, Skinny settled in, and the defense played good enough. That's what we are going to get this year. We won't win 10-7 games, we have to score.

Still no way to tell week to week what we are going to get. They could easily choke up against Oregon and get run. Stay tuned
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Sounds like some of you try hards need to learn the difference between a great defense and one that is good enough to win the conference.

Offense cost us both games. We? missed tackles and had broken plays in ‘16 too.

Hope this helps.
  • gabemarkskneegabemarksknee Member Posts: 336
    Fuck that piece of shit. How is that buffoon still on the air? Only mouthbreathers listen to that douche.