Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How to make money flipping houses

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://foxnews.com/real-estate/ftc-temporarily-halts-misleading-real-estate-seminar-endorsed-hgtv-personalities

The complaint, which was filed by the FTC and the Utah Division of Consumer Protection, says Zurixx would hold free events that were endorsed by the “Flip or Flop” stars, as well as Hilary Farr from HGTV’s “Love It or List It” and Peter Souhleris and Dave Seymour from A&E’s “Flipping Boston.” Once at the event, the presenters would then pitch the group’s three-day workshop that cost $1,997 and promised to teach customers how to “make substantial income from real estate.” At the pricey workshops, presenters encouraged attendees to open new credit cards and increase card limits, and also peddled products and services that could cost up to $41,297, according to the FTC.

Spoiler - buy the worst house in the best neighborhood with a large spread between the cost and the after rehab value. Free advice

When I was broke and unemployed and had some free time I did a "deep dive" into Flip Houses with no money scams. The main thrust was to get you to loot your parents 401K. My parents were dead so psych! You needed money but you needed other people's money. Then you bring your deal to the "expert" and put up the cash and do the work and they skim half off the top.

Almost every TV house flipper does this seminar scam and they make a lot more guaranteed money ripping people off than they do flipping houses

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I fucking hate old, shitty houses. Why do I live in Seattle? We need to bull doze the entirety of our housing stock and start over.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I fucking hate old, shitty houses. Why do I live in Seattle? We need to bull doze the entirety of our housing stock and start over.

The IE was foreclosed flipper heaven because almost everything is post year 2000
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    I have a buddy who does the house flipping thing. Works his ass off finding the property, doing all the construction himself at nights and weekends after his real job. Probably puts in 30 or 40 hours per week.

Makes enough to afford a trip to Mexico and have enough left over for his next flip. Rinse, repeat. Couple Mexico trips per year IF he buys right

I’m like, “dude, just get another job where you can make some $$$ instead of your shitty product sales job.”

“Too much risk, not enough reward”

Fuck. He’s still my fren. Just a really dumb fren.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Start when you're young too lol
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Flipping is like anything else. By the time everyone knows about it its too late

If its a sideline you should buy a house to live in and rehab then keep trading up until you have a really nice house to live in paid off or almost paid off

My old man does it with his younger cousin. He's retired and sure as shit doesn't need he money but likes having a project and likes the process. Organize the contractors, do some of the work, quick in and out. It gives him something to do between long trips oversees. The cousin is married to a high up city attorney and that helps out with some of the permitting and they also find the houses through that office in a way that I dont quite understand or care to know about.

They make money but if you calculate the hassle factor and the risk of getting caught between markets with a lot of capital tied up and on the table it's probably not the best financial play by way of return on risk.

• Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    @RaceBannon take me under your wing and mold me into a successful businessman.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

My Saul Rosenberg impersonation is pitch perfect.
    Can confirm.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

you could live in Mabel and have a house built in 1911 like me
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Almost every TV house flipper does this seminar scam and they make a lot more guaranteed money ripping people off than they do flipping houses

Right. It's way easier to get money talking about how to get money than actually doing things to get money. Cause if they could get money doing things to get money, they would be doing them instead of talking about it.
    Iron Law

Works for gambling tipsters and stock pickers with a guaranteed system too
    Online trading academy? @puppylove_sugarsteel true?
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Come to Bellevue, we’re tearing down old houses and building up McMansions at a breakneck pace!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

But what to people in Mabel @LebamDawg to get money? I don’t qualify for SS disability
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

But what to people in Mabel @LebamDawg to get money? I don’t qualify for SS disability
    Sell meth
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,214
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

Sell meth