Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tax rate on richest 400 lower than every other group

124»

Comments

• Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Society is going to breakdown if the top 400 don't have those extra millions!!!!!!!!!!

The government is better at investing than the private sector!!!
    A large part of our taxes over the years have gone to the military, roads and other infrastructure, and schools. Would you say those are poor investments?
    based on the poasts from guys like Mike and Sleddog it seems like our investments in schools have not produced universally good results...
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,297
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited October 2019
    2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Society is going to breakdown if the top 400 don't have those extra millions!!!!!!!!!!

A large part of our taxes over the years have gone to the military, roads and other infrastructure, and schools. Would you say those are poor investments?
    Military spending is too high

Roads in large part are maintained at the state level. Have you ever crossed the Oregon and California border on I-5?

School spending is also primarily done at the State level. The Federal government provides a small fraction of the revenue. Those charts will show that the problem isn't funding, it's the efficiency at which those funds are used.
    https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/10facts/edlite-chart.html

You give the government $40 million to build a bridge, they'll build the bridge. You give the government $50 million to build the same bridge, they'll build the same exact bridge for $50 million. Unless the government is held accountable for their inefficiencies, there will always be a shortage of funds.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2019
    2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

A the biggest part of our taxes goes to pay for things that government has no business being involved in. Retirement and healthcare for oldsters and yes I would say that paying for grandma's hip replacement is an unbelievable shitty investment.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,477
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    GDS said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

based on the poasts from guys like Mike and Sleddog it seems like our investments in schools have not produced universally good results...
    Our tax investment in your education has wrought us another communist. Certainly a waste of money as it's a failed system. But you'e not shmart enough to figure that out.
  • Options
    GDS said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

They haven't. The U.S. ranks 17th overall in education performance, yet we spend the third most dollars per student. Pretty shitty investment I would say. We spend money like the Yankees, but we perform like the Angels.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

GDS said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

They haven't. The U.S. ranks 17th overall in education performance, yet we spend the third most dollars per student. Pretty shitty investment I would say. We spend money like the Yankees, but we perform like the Angels.
    Also, some of the states with the lower per pupil spending like Utah have some of the higher student test scores and grades.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

GDS said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Also, some of the states with the lower per pupil spending like Utah have some of the higher student test scores and grades.
    Careful...

You've been warned
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

GDS said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Careful...

You've been warned
    Iowa is another one. Gosh, now what do those two states share in common?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Roads in large part are maintained at the state level. Have you ever crossed the Oregon and California border on I-5?

School spending is also primarily done at the State level. The Federal government provides a small fraction of the revenue. Those charts will show that the problem isn't funding, it's the efficiency at which those funds are used.

You give the government $40 million to build a bridge, they'll build the bridge. You give the government $50 million to build the same bridge, they'll build the same exact bridge for $50 million. Unless the government is held accountable for their inefficiencies, there will always be a shortage of funds.
    Keep up with the discussion. Which is total taxes including State and local. And yes the interstate system was a federal initiative and investment.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Keep up with the discussion. Which is total taxes including State and local. And yes the interstate system was a federal initiative and investment.
    The state maintains it. It was created as a military initiative.
  • Options
    Sent my kids to private school. Cost per class was about 1/3 of public schools but outcomes were much higher.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Gwad said:

Lol
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Sent my kids to private school. Cost per class was about 1/3 of public schools but outcomes were much higher.

big if true.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Sledog said:

My kids go to private school. You are a fucking liar.

Averaging out public school per pupil cost tk-12 is about $12,000 in Los Angeles. Catholic parochial school up to 8th grade is about $10,000 a year. Non catholic private schools are $25,000 or so for tk-8. Catholic high schools are $20,000 at a minimum.

Why do trumptrash, the dumbest people on the planet, lie so much?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Sledog said:

Furthermore, a kid with a 3.5 gpa from Muir in Pasadena (public school) will get into any UC far ahead of a kid with a 3.5 from Loyola (elite Catholic school).
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

Sledog said:

Averaging out public school per pupil cost tk-12 is about $12,000 in Los Angeles. Catholic parochial school up to 8th grade is about $10,000 a year. Non catholic private schools are $25,000 or so for tk-8. Catholic high schools are $20,000 at a minimum.

I’m for vouchers.

That said, I’m not sure your kids in a special needs program qualifies as private school.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,356
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Bull fucking shit.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Sledog knows all about educational value
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Sledog said:

My kids aren't young they're grown men and women. Wasn't as costly then, at that time Kali spent about 280k per class. Private at it's highest for mine was 6k. 6x20 is120k. Better outcome.