Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hong Kong citizens

2»

Comments

• GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

GDS said:

HHusky said:

Only the last one is even arguably distinct from the original extradition issue. And even that stems from the distrust over the extradition bill.

Be sure to tell us about how no one is asking for Carrie Lam's resignation either bootlicker.
    Because she pushed for the extradition bill....
    Business as usual is what you are hearing right?
    I’ll be there in a couple weeks and let you know
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Hong Kong might be the powder keg that topples the commi-fascist government in Beijing. If they crack down militarily, they will be put in a vice and squeezed by the international community. If they do nothing, they look weak and vulnerable. It's a lose lose situation for Beijing.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,496 Swaye's Wigwam

Hong Kong might be the powder keg that topples the commi-fascist government in Beijing. If they crack down militarily, they will be put in a vice and squeezed by the international community. If they do nothing, they look weak and vulnerable. It's a lose lose situation for Beijing.

I doubt it does much to the mainland in terms of protests. What they can do on the mainland is much more totalitarian than what they can do with HK. They literally harvest the organs of anyone who dissents too much.

What could happen, is that HK stops being the golden goose for the CCP's access to the rest of the world's finances. It will compound the problems they have right now and force them to insulate the mainland even more so than now both financially and socially. Where that goes? *shrug I think we see more of a slow burn down and lost decades of living under totalitarianism more so than a dramatic Chinese spring. That is, unless something dramatic happens like the bottom falling out of the real estate market or another major tipping point event that exposes the underlying fragility of the system the CCP has erected.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,345 Standard Supporter

Arms shipments would help.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Not going to happen.

This hurts China but it's going to take more than so than Hong Kong to do it. The rest of the country doesn't have a clue what's really happening in HK.

Chinese oppression isn't going anywhere.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Most of China doesn’t even know about Tank Man. It’s either been totally censored. The folks old enough to remember have repressed it, gone silent to survive, or developed Stockholm syndrome and have begun defending their oppressors.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,974
    dnc said:

Not going to happen.

This hurts China but it's going to take more than so than Hong Kong to do it. The rest of the country doesn't have a clue what's really happening in HK.

And to the extent that they do know, they aren't very happy or supportive of the people doing the protesting in Hong Kong.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    SFGbob said:

dnc said:

Not going to happen.

And to the extent that they do know, they aren't very happy or supportive of the people doing the protesting in Hong Kong.

That's because they don't have a clue what's really happening.

All their chinformation is major filtered.
    Sledog said:

Arms shipments would help.
    No, that would simply justify the CCP invading HK.

Way better to threaten to remove favored trading partner status and make HK treated the same as mainland China financially. That would fuck all the party members keeping their assets "overseas" through HK among many other things.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,867 Founders Club
    China is 5 years younger than the Soviet Union when it collapsed.

Information is repressed in China (thanks google!) but people have ways

The Hong Kong virus is in play

Keep the pressure on them

I read somewhere that the Soviet Union collapsed during their 13th 5 year plan and China is currently in theirs. Xi and big party bosses are obsessed with this fact and avoiding it supposedly.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,345 Standard Supporter
    HondoBros send China their support along with the NBA. Crush those peasants!
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,974

I read somewhere that the Soviet Union collapsed during their 13th 5 year plan and China is currently in theirs. Xi and big party bosses are obsessed with this fact and avoiding it supposedly.
    The difference is that for the average Chinese citizen life has improved. They are experiencing a higher standard of living. Food is more plentiful to more people. They can see the improvements in infrastructure and there is a sense among many Chinese people that the coming century will be theirs.

Yes, they have plenty of problems, but they are not like the old Soviet Union.
    SFGbob said:

The difference is that for the average Chinese citizen life has improved. They are experiencing a higher standard of living. Food is more plentiful to more people. They can see the improvements in infrastructure and there is a sense among many Chinese people that the coming century will be theirs.

Yes, they have plenty of problems, but they are not like the old Soviet Union.
    I'm just telling you that the CCP is obsessed with that fact. I thought it was interesting. Like I said, I expect decades before the mainland sees any real change. I expect things there to get worse before they get better.

HK on the other hand. No idea where this is going.