Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Observations From Attending the Game

MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
so forgive me if any/all of what I observed has been covered on the boards already.

The Good:
- our white uniforms on purple pants look incredible. Better than the purple jerseys with gold pants. Bravo!

The Bad:
- pre-game warmup...wow your eyes can't fool you but Puka is fucking special. His size, speed, agility, and hands "are just different". I have no idea why he isn't playing. No idea at all. Baffling. Confusing. Annoying. I wanted the rest of the non-playing WRs to look amazing but even Osborne doesn't look quick enough.
- Pete's ability to prepare the team. Culture? Mental preparation? Heart? I don't know what it is, but I do know that we never look fired up to play and last night was another example where we seem look like a team that thinks it needs to only show up on the field in crisp uniforms and doing well organized calisthenics to think the other team will send a message that they are forfeiting. Football doesn't seem to be a game that Pete's mental preparation skills seems to suit well. Last night was such a let down for all the fans who expect their favorite football team to play football like a football team in a football game. Lather, rinse, repeat.
- Match-ups...this was the ultimate LOL. Stanford matches up their tallest WRs against our short Corners and we match up our short WRs against their taller Corners...I don't get it at all. How is this Pete culture of depth so undeep that he can't decide to roll out different assets to play against different opponents? His entire strategy is prefaced on having the exact same personnel for every game.
- The fulcrum of the offense. This is something I am gravely concerned about (and why I've now deleted all our games from my DVR and declared TSIO (officially, this time)). Aaron Fuller. There is nothing about Pete's offensive potential that doesn't rely almost entirely on the abilities and/or efforts of Aaron Fuller. Almost ever pass play - downfield, slot, screen (last week's heinous trick play in the backfield) is a road that goes through Fullerton. Punt returns too. It's fucking pathetic that there is so much reliance on him. He makes a couple great catches per game but none of them are of the game-changing variety from what I recall. We don't win games because of the Fuller catch. We do, however, have to wonder about his drops and that pathetic effort where he proved how beta he is by laying down on the field instead of making an athletic and physical attempt to get the ball, if not at least stop the interception, how many of his drops and targets where he wasn't open have cost us a game. This is going on 2 years of the Aaron Fuller show and while the kid is okay and has really good hands, he is being used way too much for a guy who doesn't give you enough. This is an incredibly poor use of resources. If you have no one better than him, you better change your play book.
- The 4th down decision to not go for a field goal is the moment I gave up on the season. Why would you possibly make this decision in a game where Stanford had already been killing the clock to easily and not think 3 points could be the difference in the game? Going for it on 4th down when you can get 3 was so stupid. Even worse, you put the ball into the hands of the Opera Singer and he has proven over and over again that he is not reliable under pressure.
- Running back...I know there is a heated debate about Salvon, but I am of the opinion that he isn't good enough at RB to be your starter. He's got wheels but Newton is the guy....of course, he's now injured and I'm genuinely sorry to see a kid who plays football the way it should be played get hurt.
- Defense I'm 100% sure has been covered ad nauseum already because it was horrid... Manu and Wellington just do not get it done. They always get caught going inside when the run bucks outside or get caught cheating outside when the play goes inside and neither has the strength or speed to shirk a blocker so they just become pylons out there. It is bad bad bad.

Anyway, last night was as bad an effort as I could have feared. I can handle losing but to lose like we did last night when Stanford had no players healthy and we still didn't look like we belonged on the field was very concerning. I suspect Pete cares less about winning than he does being the best personal coach for each player's full life (the combination of college + what comes next). He's great at the 50 year life plan for kids - maybe the best in the country.... but it appears his goals are not what I think the goals are - to win as many football games each season as you can possibly win. We seem to be misaligned there and it could be that my frustrations are things that Pete will not want to correct and thus, the pain of watching these kinds of games/seasons will simply become the philosophical variety where the UW Huskies football team results are how I react to them vis-a-vis how Pete assesses success.

If I had to put money on the next 2 games I'd say that we lose in the desert (road game at night two weeks in a row). I see Tate running for 200 yards on broken plays and RPOs and licking his chops at the prospect of having to juke Manu or Wellington. Then Oregon comes to Husky Stadium and runs the ball right at our linebackers, runs inside slants right at our linebackers, and takes the occasional chance for a long ball against our true freshman safety and puts up 45 on us while our offense will struggle to score 10.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Swaye said:

Good analysis.

TL;DR summary. Not only is the season over, but UW football is trapped in mediocrity likely forever.

This. So obvious this is our implosion year and then we start the rebuild back to winning a lousy weak Pac12 but losing any bowl games against a legit top 10 team. Repeat cycle every 5 years from 7-6 to 11-2 and back again but never win anything of note the entire tim.

FML. I am going to lamaze classes and not watching anymore. I am the worst kind of fan and I revel in it.
    I’m going to be a blue hair and just go to games to see old friends. Show up late, leave early and complain about people standing in front of me. That’s my new approach from here on out.
    This will probably save whats left of your liver. In some ways I think Pete is the worst thing we could have ever gotten post Gilbertson/Ty/Sark. A Coach that is good enough to get us close to the promised land and give us all real hope, but inflexible enough to never be able to actually reach that promised land. And he wins the lousy Pac12 with just enough frequency that he will NEVER be fired. We are well and truly fucked.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Good analysis.

TL;DR summary. Not only is the season over, but UW football is trapped in mediocrity likely forever.

This. So obvious this is our implosion year and then we start the rebuild back to winning a lousy weak Pac12 but losing any bowl games against a legit top 10 team. Repeat cycle every 5 years from 7-6 to 11-2 and back again but never win anything of note the entire tim.

FML. I am going to lamaze classes and not watching anymore. I am the worst kind of fan and I revel in it.
    I’m going to be a blue hair and just go to games to see old friends. Show up late, leave early and complain about people standing in front of me. That’s my new approach from here on out.
    This will probably save whats left of your liver. In some ways I think Pete is the worst thing we could have ever gotten post Gilbertson/Ty/Sark. A Coach that is good enough to get us close to the promised land and give us all real hope, but inflexible enough to never be able to actually reach that promised land. And he wins the lousy Pac12 with just enough frequency that he will NEVER be fired. We are well and truly fucked.
    What about an AD with big cans who won't show us the goods?
  • gabemarkskneegabemarksknee Member Posts: 336

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Good analysis.

What about an AD with big cans who won't show us the goods?
    Speak for yourself #adsuite
  • doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,197 Swaye's Wigwam
    Agree with this except that going for it was the right call.

Taking 3 pts there is the beta move. We needed touchdowns and 2 yards should not be a problem for a competent offense.

Where Pete/Hamden fucked up is going empty set (?!) and then throwing the same slant that had failed a dozen times already.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    doogville said:

Taking 3 pts there is the beta move. We needed touchdowns and 2 yards should not be a problem for a competent offense.

Where Pete/Hamden fucked up is going empty set (?!) and then throwing the same slant that had failed a dozen times already.

Agreed, it was going to Opera with an empty set that was inexcusable.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,893 Standard Supporter

doogville said:

Agreed, it was going to Opera with an empty set that was inexcusable.
    Any throw to Opera is willful ignorance. Guy has no get-open moves and cannot catch a fucking thing.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,722
    doogville said:

We had Dick running wild on that drive. It's 4th and 2, you can't even have a run fake or something with him in the backfield?

The stupidest shit I've ever seen. Then throw a slant to this fucking midget.
  • UwspindoctorUwspindoctor Member Posts: 59
    That was the time for the play that converted the later 4th down. RB in the backfield, motion, play action, wide open receiver.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    Thoughts:

1) I was worried about UW being flat when the fans were flat at Old Pro, the Ohio State fans (albeit their team was playing) were much more fired up. The one exception was the dude who stood up drunk on a chair to start the Go Huskies chant. Shout out to that guy.

2) Best part about the game was the Stanford band’s vaping satire that had members hitting a giant vape and then falling over dead on the field during their pre game performance. It all went down hill from there.

3) The game itself obviously everyone knows about. Everyone sucked, Eason was not the cause but he didn’t have a great game either, the one thing I will say about the Jesus savior Eason who I still think is incredibly talented is he seems to lock into his receivers a bit.

4) Peyton Henry is having a great year. I’m still pissed at him for his miss at Oregon but he has really bounced back.

5) Pete will probably give some bullshit about how we can still compete for a PAC-12 title but that’s just it, bullshit. This team plays the way they played last night they could lose 3-4 more games, including next weekend.

6) TSIO so why not play the kids, Manu, Baccellia, others, aren’t going to improve and won’t be around next year to help, it’s time to move on and let the young kids make mistakes and grow.

7) From a defensive perspective I’m not going to overreact, we lost a lot of talent last year and it’s clear the young kids need mor tim. Offensively for the love of god Pete please change something for real this offseason, he won’t but one can hope.

8) I’m not sure UW has laid an egg two games in a row under Pete at least in the last few years so interested to see what happens next weekend.

Fire at a minimum Gregory and Hamden this offseason if you care about winning Pete.

Also as an aside Tracy Ford was complaining about FSP guys not getting run this game and dude Tracy I love you but calm down. Newton was running better than Ahmed, Hunter Bryant had his worst game of the season, and Kyler Gordon was not good when he was starting over Mcduffie.

Why do we suck so much on grass?

When does basketball start?

Fuck me, fuck you, fuck everyone.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Thoughts:

1) I was worried about UW being flat when the fans were flat at Old Pro, the Ohio State fans (albeit their team was playing) were much more fired up. The one exception was the dude who stood up drunk on a chair to start the Go Huskies chant. Shout out to that guy.

2) Best part about the game was the Stanford band’s vaping satire that had members hitting a giant vape and then falling over dead on the field during their pre game performance. It all went down hill from there.

3) The game itself obviously everyone knows about. Everyone sucked, Eason was not the cause but he didn’t have a great game either, the one thing I will say about the Jesus savior Eason who I still think is incredibly talented is he seems to lock into his receivers a bit.

4) Peyton Henry is having a great year. I’m still pissed at him for his miss at Oregon but he has really bounced back.

5) Pete will probably give some bullshit about how we can still compete for a PAC-12 title but that’s just it, bullshit. This team plays the way they played last night they could lose 3-4 more games, including next weekend.

6) TSIO so why not play the kids, Manu, Baccellia, others, aren’t going to improve and won’t be around next year to help, it’s time to move on and let the young kids make mistakes and grow.

7) From a defensive perspective I’m not going to overreact, we lost a lot of talent last year and it’s clear the young kids need mor tim. Offensively for the love of god Pete please change something for real this offseason, he won’t but one can hope.

8) I’m not sure UW has laid an egg two games in a row under Pete at least in the last few years so interested to see what happens next weekend.

Fire at a minimum Gregory and Hamden this offseason if you care about winning Pete.

Also as an aside Tracy Ford was complaining about FSP guys not getting run this game and dude Tracy I love you but calm down. Newton was running better than Ahmed, Hunter Bryant had his worst game of the season, and Kyler Gordon was not good when he was starting over Mcduffie.

Why do we suck so much on grass?

When does basketball start?

Fuck me, fuck you, fuck everyone.

Careful. That causes the doogs to lose their shit here.

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/62380/eason-criticism/p1