Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM Pete

Please ditch the Wild Cat, you have the top qb in the country. Defenses don’t fear that crap. They fear your 6’6” strong arm top 10 NFL prospect and and your first round TE Hunter Bryant. Additionally The Pitt Special was better than any of your trick plays in the last 10 years. Please step up your game.

TYFYS

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27669764

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Pete definitely losing his edge
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    To your point, though, the wildcat, as a concept, is something I've ALWAYS hated. I get the theory: You get an extra blocker at the point of attack and run. But I'd like to see ANY data that suggests it has a higher success rate that a standard running play. I'd bet my house it doesn't.

Only the dumbest fucking DC on the planet doesn't go cover-0 and bring every single DB on the field up to the LOS. Cool, you just gained one blocker and brought two defenders into the box.

As to, "Why doesn't he ever hand off to the fly sweep motion?" Maybe because the fucking quarterback is who would be out there lead blocking for that.

Duuuuuuuuumb.

The threat of the pass is way more likely to loosen a D than an extra blocker. I don't care how many first downs Dick Newt and Gaskin have gotten from Wildcat over the last three years. Prove to me a standard play* would have been less successful.

*"Standard play" ≠ speed option with Browning.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

Wildcat has been very successful for us in short yardage situations. I understand wanting the ball in Eason’s hands, but I don’t hate it as much as some of you because it has worked the majority of the time.

My issue with it there was that Eason was 18/20 at the time, and our run game was averaging less than 3 yards a carry at that time in the game. Eason was in complete control, and yet we chose to remove him from the play.
    we bringing trickery when it was not needed.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,729 Swaye's Wigwam
    FirePete said:

Wildcat has been very successful for us in short yardage situations. I understand wanting the ball in Eason’s hands, but I don’t hate it as much as some of you because it has worked the majority of the time.

My issue with it there was that Eason was 18/20 at the time, and our run game was averaging less than 3 yards a carry at that time in the game. Eason was in complete control, and yet we chose to remove him from the play.
    we bringing trickery when it was not needed.
    Yes, classic case of overthinking it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2019
    I don’t think it’s overthinking at all. It’s been a staple of our short yardage plan all year.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

I’d venture to say it’s not the play but the player, Sanky, Gaskin and now dick
    edited September 2019
    Houhusky said:

The wild dick has been run about 20 times and not worked twice....

it’s easily at been one of our most consistently successful calls and that’s without dick ever handing it off, so it’s basically just a RB direct snap with extra distractions.

Teams are going to spend time scheming against the 3 RB personnel package because it works really well and that’s when we can switch it up and do something retarded like go 5 wide with it against the defenses goal line personnel.

I have zero problems with the wild dick wrinkle

It’s only a matter of time until someone spots it and blows up Eason’s knees. I would
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

So it's been successful regardless of who's back there? Then I'd say it's an effective play.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

it’s easily at been one of our most consistently successful calls and that’s without dick ever handing it off, so it’s basically just a RB direct snap with extra distractions.

Teams are going to spend time scheming against the 3 RB personnel package because it works really well and that’s when we can switch it up and do something retarded like go 5 wide with it against the defenses goal line personnel.

The problem with this is it's a way to lie with statistics. The wilddick is typically run on 3rd and 1. You know what other plays are wildly successful on 3rd and 1? All of them. The QB sneak has been equally successful on those kinds of downs, yet I don't see anybody begging to do it on 1st and goal from the 7. You know what hasn't happened on a non-wildcat play this season? A fumbled exchange that nearly turns the ball over and eventually leads to a fruitless drive inside the 10.

So now let's look at plays that aren't only a yard to gain. How successful has the wildcat been on standard downs (like 1st and goal from the 7)? Because that's when it was fucktardedly called. The Huskies averaged over 7 yards per play in that game, and that's with all of the short wildcat gains and tackled-by-endzone thrown in. Nearly 5 yards per play on the ground, and that's counting sacks and FS wildcat. But you want your QB playing split end on 1st and goal from the 7?

The wildcat is redundant. Everybody knows how to defend it--especially everybody who has to prepare for Stanford every season--and it's not statistically more successful than any other play. "But it gives the other team something else to prepare for" makes no sense, because it also gives the Husky offense something else to prepare. Which is how things like fumbled exchanges inside the 10 happen.

Honestly, when wildcat is called on 3rd and 1, I roll my eyes and watch them pick up a 1st down, which they almost invariably would have anyway, but whatever. It's not worth getting annoyed about in those cases. Calling it on a standard down is when I get pissed.
    edited September 2019

So it's been successful regardless of who's back there? Then I'd say it's an effective play.
    Lindquist agrees 🤫
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

Agree with both. It's hard to argue with the success, but it's till seems like something we don't need to do. If someone is going to be reading blocks and handing off the rock, I'd prefer it was our QB. We don't need a running back doing anything with the ball other than holding onto it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Houhusky said:

The problem with this is it's a way to lie with statistics. The wilddick is typically run on 3rd and 1. You know what other plays are wildly successful on 3rd and 1? All of them. The QB sneak has been equally successful on those kinds of downs, yet I don't see anybody begging to do it on 1st and goal from the 7. You know what hasn't happened on a non-wildcat play this season? A fumbled exchange that nearly turns the ball over and eventually leads to a fruitless drive inside the 10.

So now let's look at plays that aren't only a yard to gain. How successful has the wildcat been on standard downs (like 1st and goal from the 7)? Because that's when it was fucktardedly called. The Huskies averaged over 7 yards per play in that game, and that's with all of the short wildcat gains and tackled-by-endzone thrown in. Nearly 5 yards per play on the ground, and that's counting sacks and FS wildcat. But you want your QB playing split end on 1st and goal from the 7?

The wildcat is redundant. Everybody knows how to defend it--especially everybody who has to prepare for Stanford every season--and it's not statistically more successful than any other play. "But it gives the other team something else to prepare for" makes no sense, because it also gives the Husky offense something else to prepare. Which is how things like fumbled exchanges inside the 10 happen.

Honestly, when wildcat is called on 3rd and 1, I roll my eyes and watch them pick up a 1st down, which they almost invariably would have anyway, but whatever. It's not worth getting annoyed about in those cases. Calling it on a standard down is when I get pissed.
    It’s extra blocking and a chance to gauge where the hole is on short yardage situations. We’ve broken off long runs from it too, especially Gaskin.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,128

Houhusky said:

It’s extra blocking and a chance to gauge where the hole is on short yardage situations. We’ve broken off long runs from it too, especially Gaskin.
    This. Its essentially a handoff except Newton can find the hole early and get the yard. Its great for short yardage. I dont like using it on 3rd and 7. I think they could even do without the fake handoff because he's not handing it off
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,039
    Newton played WR in high school too.