Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter
    Mods, please put this on the front page
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,616 Standard Supporter
    I’d debate Bellichick because he has only won with 1 QB.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    edited September 2019
    whlinder said:

I’d debate Bellichick because he has only won with 1 QB.

Fair enough. But unlike Elway and Marino and Favre, that QB has fairly average physical attributes. The guy he has is more like Joe Montana, and we all know Montana, for as great as he was, played in a sophisticated passing system that was designed to his strengths, and he won with two fantastic coaches who surrounded him with great players.

Bellichick knows how to assemble a team and work to this QBs strengths. They've not won with gaudy passing numbers or once-in-a-lifetime athletic performances that are all on the back of some amazing QB. Brady is great, but I would assert part of the reason for that is the coach he plays for sets him up to be successful.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Saban is a pussy for not going back to the NFL. At least now he has an actual rival in Dabo/Clemson, but’s there is nothing left for him to accomplish in college football.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    edited September 2019

Saban is a pussy for not going back to the NFL. At least now he has an actual rival in Dabo/Clemson, but’s there is nothing left for him to accomplish in college football.

I think the thing that Saban is best at ... that which makes him great ... is that he's great at controlling all the controllables. There are fewer of them in the NFL. The people you get to play for you is way more out of your control than recruiting to Alabama, and how you can handle them is greatly different than the control you can exert over a college kid.

I really don't think Saban is some brilliant Bill Walsh game thinker. I think he gets bigger, stronger and faster kids to play clean and prepared physical football. That usually wins. I don't think what he does would make him anything but an average coach in the NFL today.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2019
    I agree Creep that Saban is not some chess master who out schemes everyone. That said, he didn’t totally fail in the NFL. He was close to .500 without a QB. The team went 1-15 the year after he left. Give him a good QB and he’s a top coach in the NFL too.
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    He is...but I personally hope LSU or if not, later GA takes them out. Over Bama down this way.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,977 Founders Club

Mods, please put this on the front page

Huh?