Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When Nussmeier gets hired

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Let It Play Out

It's not any experience, it's HC experience. The idea is that If Washington is indeed a big job, you don't have to hire the ball boy. jesus hth

Which explains why so many on the board want Deruyter over Petersen. Head coaching experience matters. Except when it doesn't.

"Big jobs" only hire head coaches with experience, like Florida State.
  • Options
    The Program Is Over

It's not any experience, it's HC experience. The idea is that If Washington is indeed a big job, you don't have to hire the ball boy. jesus hth

Which explains why so many on the board want Deruyter over Petersen. Head coaching experience matters. Except when it doesn't.

"Big jobs" only hire head coaches with experience, like Florida State.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Nussmeier may be a good football coach, but there's so much more to running a program than xs and os
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The Program Is Over
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Program Is Over
    Not getting my money in tickets or donations... and that is all I can do.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Let It Play Out
    Jimbo Fisher was the OC at FSU before taking over for Bowden right? Sweeney was the OC at Clemson before taking over for Terry Bowden right?

I'd feel more comfortable with DeRuyter but Nuss was our OC for 3 years, was much better as a player than the Fat Club Hopping Hamster (Sloppy Steve), and was a 4th round draft pick by the Saints.

Nuss played pro ball for 5 years in the NFL and 1 year in the CFL and has 13 years of coaching experience (5 as an OC). So again while I'd feel more comfortable with a guy with head coaching experience, he turns 43 in 5 days (9 years older than when Sarkisian took the job), has 2.5 times the coordinator experience that Sarkisian had, has already coached at Washington for 3 years (unlike Sarkisian when he was hired), and was hired away from Washington by arguably the best college football coach of all-time (4 National Championships and he's in his early 60's)...so he does have a lot better resume than people are giving him credit for.
  • Options
    The Program Is Over
    HFNY said:

Jimbo Fisher was the OC at FSU before taking over for Bowden right? Sweeney was the OC at Clemson before taking over for Terry Bowden right?

I'd feel more comfortable with DeRuyter but Nuss was our OC for 3 years, was much better as a player than the Fat Club Hopping Hamster (Sloppy Steve), and was a 4th round draft pick by the Saints.

Nuss played pro ball for 5 years in the NFL and 1 year in the CFL and has 13 years of coaching experience (5 as an OC). So again while I'd feel more comfortable with a guy with head coaching experience, he turns 43 in 5 days (9 years older than when Sarkisian took the job), has 2.5 times the coordinator experience that Sarkisian had, has already coached at Washington for 3 years (unlike Sarkisian when he was hired), and was hired away from Washington by arguably the best college football coach of all-time (4 National Championships and he's in his early 60's)...so he does have a lot better resume than people are giving him credit for.

So he's better than Sark? Sign me up!

Sorry just being better than Sark isn't enough.

For every Jimbo Fisher(who inherited a well ran program I might add) there is a Will Muschamp.

USC gave us a gift by taking Sark off our hands and Pool Boy won't capitalize which is the main problem.

With Petersen at least there would be expectations from day one. With Nuss you know it will be "he needs more time" blah blah blah and we'll be stuck with him for better or for worse for five years.

Then if he does prove to be a good coach? Well Pool Boy has also demonstrated that he can't retain his head coach if someone comes calling.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013
    The Program Is Over

HFNY said:

For every Jimbo Fisher(who inherited a well ran program I might add) there is a Will Muschamp.

USC gave us a gift by taking Sark off our hands and Pool Boy won't capitalize which is the main problem.

With Petersen at least there would be expectations from day one. With Nuss you know it will be "he needs more time" blah blah blah and we'll be stuck with him for better or for worse for five years.

Then if he does prove to be a good coach? Well Pool Boy has also demonstrated that he can't retain his head coach if someone comes calling.
    Agree with the rest of your post, but the part in bold is debatable. FSU was not in great shape towards the end of the Bowden era and many fans were upset that they had already named Jimbo coach in waiting. Luckily, it has worked out for them.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    Standard Supporter
    Let It Play Out
    Yes, their talent had slipped, their OL recruiting had slipped, and their longtime DC (Mickey Andrews?) didn't have it anymore...think he was using the same schemes but with less talent and didn't adjust. FSU looked kinda bad at the end.

HFNY said:

Agree with the rest of your post, but the part in bold is debatable. FSU was not in great shape towards the end of the Bowden era and many fans were upset that they had already named Jimbo coach in waiting. Luckily, it has worked out for them.

• Options
    The Program Is Over

HFNY said:

It was a well established program but it wasn't a BCS program at that time. However, they were always recruiting at a high level. As coach in waiting I'm sure they eased his responsibilities too. Meaning as an assistant he was probably asked to do more than your usual assistant would.

Point being for every Fisher there is a Will Muschamp who was the #1 coordinator there is. Even Florida coming off two recent national titles who could get anyone they wanted settled for an unproven guy because Muschamp was so sought after.
  • Options
    Let It Play Out

HFNY said:

It was a well established program but it wasn't a BCS program at that time. However, they were always recruiting at a high level. As coach in waiting I'm sure they eased his responsibilities too. Meaning as an assistant he was probably asked to do more than your usual assistant would.

Point being for every Fisher there is a Will Muschamp who was the #1 coordinator there is. Even Florida coming off two recent national titles who could get anyone they wanted settled for an unproven guy because Muschamp was so sought after.
    Yeah, Florida must have a real pool boy AD. Lol. He hired Muschamp. What a clown. I bet he's never even hired a coach that won multiple national championships. Certainly not two.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Let It Play Out

Let it play out

Mark Helfrich approves this message.
  • Options
    The Program Is Over

HFNY said:

Yeah, Florida must have a real pool boy AD. Lol. He hired Muschamp. What a clown. I bet he's never even hired a coach that won multiple national championships. Certainly not two.
    He was successful hiring a coach from a mid major and failed when he hired a coordinator. I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    Let It Play Out

HFNY said:

He was successful hiring a coach from a mid major and failed when he hired a coordinator. I'll leave it at that.
    So hiring a coach from a Mid-Major offers a greater chance of success than hiring an assistant? Is that the lesson?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Let It Play Out
    LIPO for a year. There is enough talent to go 7-2 or better in conference next year. If the new coach does less than this he likely was not a good hire.