Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

10k Post Special Report: My Year Abroad

13»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,867
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

As some of you may have noticed, I went AWOL for a little over a year from Hardcore Husky. Well now I’m back and posting so fast I eclipsed 10k posts. So what happened? Let me take you on a little journey...

It all started as a fake hunger strike style one man boycott to #FREEHARV around the time of the summer 2018 fundraiser. Apparently Derek was rolling in the cash and my offer wasn’t worth even a 1 day reprieve for everyone’s favorite Coog. Like a TRUE American, Derek did not negotiate with my terrorist ways. I never intended to stick with the thing, and even planned to pony up the $129 so I could have a fucking badge next to my name, just as I had in previous years. But in the midst of the strike, a fatal blow was struck. Some whiny little giner narked on me for not having a badge, and Derek finally revoked my Wam access. No warning, just gone. I’ll admit I was hurt. Just like the Viet Cong that had suffered and fought on the front lines with no support, I was rolled up and tossed aside by the NVA once they had consolidated power.

So I left...

And it was a bizarre season. Not being here was weird. Sure I interacted with some of you on Twitter, but it wasn’t the same. When we lost to Cal, I almost ruined a vacation with IRL friends losing my shit and drunkenly threatening to kill our entire offense. When we beat Utah, I wasn’t here to rub my nuts across 89Utes face and laugh the sweet laughter of victory. When we flew our top secret airplanes into the clouds above Pullman to seed them with ice, it felt unsatisfying. When we beat Utah AGAIN on the Murphy pick 6, I was HYPED as fuck, but also alone. And when I finally went to my first Rose Bowl (I skipped 2001 because I thought it would never end, lulz)...it kinda felt like I crossed off a major bucket list item. Except I did it without my people (no offense to my drunk father in law). What was going on???

On a more serious note, I was dealing with some personal issues that derailed my life. I lost my grandmother last year. She basically raised me for a few years when my mom was hospitalized with life threatening injuries. My dad spent all his time working and the rest at the hospital with her. I was alone. Except for grandma. Those were dark days from my childhood. Losing the person who had been my rock through that trial was something I knew was coming, but was unable to cope with. She and my grandpa were both UW grads, and took me to my first Husky football game when I was 4 or 5.

Turns out I have a real issue dealing with loss. As she deteriorated, I stopped being able to recognize her, because she could no longer remember who I was. The person I knew was gone, even though she was sitting right there. It fucked me up. I wasn’t a good husband, father, son, brother, or friend. I was just checked out. I traveled to Europe to see the village in France where my grandpa had been when he won a bronze star to try and honor the past. Friends took me out and got me wasted to cheer me up. I bought a fucking yacht. I even started some light TBSing...pretty much rock bottom.

Anyways, I think the point I am trying to make is this; we only get one life. And in that time you’re gonna meet a lot of people. But very few of them will ever form a connection with you. Those that do may eventually forget you. So spend what time you have with the people who get you. I’ve known some of you since I was in high school. Once upon a time I was the bright eyed and bushy tailed BTP of the Halfbrain movement, except way better. If you’ve read this far, I assume you’re one of the OGs. The HHBs. The mother fuckin Viet Cong of WASHINGTON football. You degenerate fucks were my rock during the darkest days of the program. Since we’re still here, and you still remember who I am, I’m BACK.

Special shout out to Grundle for extending the olive branch that convinced me to post again.

Thanks for reading 😘

Was it the Gallapegos Breeze purchased second-hand from Lloyd St. Claire?

Good move buying used. As soon as you sail those things new off the dry dock, they lose half their value.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019
    Freeme, I too took a sabbatical. Drinking Duck beer and tears all week in Central Oregon wearing 2018 conf champs shirts in front of them with my super hot wife who's 5 months preggers.

It was rough. Please pray for me.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

Freeme, I too took a sabbatical. Drinking Duck beer and tears all week in Central Oregon wearing 2018 conf champs shirts in front of them with my super hot wife whose 5 months preggers.

If I were a jack doog I'd probably be wearing a 2018 conf champ tee too, considering the fact that the only bowl win in recent memory was this:

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019
    I didn’t notice and stoped reading at the word noticed.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Freeme, I too took a sabbatical. Drinking Duck beer and tears all week in Central Oregon wearing 2018 conf champs shirts in front of them with my super hot wife who's 5 months preggers.

Ts&Ps but,

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019

haie said:

Ts&Ps but,

one IPA, one Pale, one Pilsner from each brewery in the area. A few of them I would do a porter or something weird like a blood orange ale.

No fucking sours.

Worthy, Crux, and Sun River were probably the 3 best. Boneyard gets honorable mention for the amount of money I've spent in Portland on RPM's with coworkers.

Deschutes was easily the most overrated.

Bend Brewing had the best atmosphere, nice park right next to the river with some keg stations so you don't waste time waiting inside the bar.

Best beer was the Strata IPA from Worthy. They've won 6 awards with that for a reason.

2nd best was the Octoberfest Pilser from Sunriver.

3rd best I don't know was/is too drunk to make decisions beyond those two.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club

Tees and Pees to all these depressing posts.

My dog died the weekend of the 2008 opener at Oregon that I was told we would win rather easily
    Killing him seems like an overreaction.
    Don't forget that he interrupted a pod cast with his barking once
    "Put a cork in it, Corky!"
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tees and Pees to all these depressing posts.

My dog died the weekend of the 2008 opener at Oregon that I was told we would win rather easily
    Killing him seems like an overreaction.
    Pro Tip: It's not a "call for genocide" if it's just one person.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

Men don’t use the word preggers.

HTH
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Men don’t use the word preggers.

HTH
    OK!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

Our common bond in nerditry compels me to let you know you can always pm me when you're going through some shit bro. I had no idea anything was going on. Always available to chat.

(no homo)

(homo)

One moment Gladdy is offering condolences. The next moment he's sending dick pics.
    Is there a difference?

Exactly!
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

COVID got @ThomasFremont?

Something like that.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

As some of you may have noticed, I went AWOL for a little over a year from Hardcore Husky. Well now I’m back and posting so fast I eclipsed 10k posts. So what happened? Let me take you on a little journey...

It all started as a fake hunger strike style one man boycott to #FREEHARV around the time of the summer 2018 fundraiser. Apparently Derek was rolling in the cash and my offer wasn’t worth even a 1 day reprieve for everyone’s favorite Coog. Like a TRUE American, Derek did not negotiate with my terrorist ways. I never intended to stick with the thing, and even planned to pony up the $129 so I could have a fucking badge next to my name, just as I had in previous years. But in the midst of the strike, a fatal blow was struck. Some whiny little giner narked on me for not having a badge, and Derek finally revoked my Wam access. No warning, just gone. I’ll admit I was hurt. Just like the Viet Cong that had suffered and fought on the front lines with no support, I was rolled up and tossed aside by the NVA once they had consolidated power.

So I left...

And it was a bizarre season. Not being here was weird. Sure I interacted with some of you on Twitter, but it wasn’t the same. When we lost to Cal, I almost ruined a vacation with IRL friends losing my shit and drunkenly threatening to kill our entire offense. When we beat Utah, I wasn’t here to rub my nuts across 89Utes face and laugh the sweet laughter of victory. When we flew our top secret airplanes into the clouds above Pullman to seed them with ice, it felt unsatisfying. When we beat Utah AGAIN on the Murphy pick 6, I was HYPED as fuck, but also alone. And when I finally went to my first Rose Bowl (I skipped 2001 because I thought it would never end, lulz)...it kinda felt like I crossed off a major bucket list item. Except I did it without my people (no offense to my drunk father in law). What was going on???

On a more serious note, I was dealing with some personal issues that derailed my life. I lost my grandmother last year. She basically raised me for a few years when my mom was hospitalized with life threatening injuries. My dad spent all his time working and the rest at the hospital with her. I was alone. Except for grandma. Those were dark days from my childhood. Losing the person who had been my rock through that trial was something I knew was coming, but was unable to cope with. She and my grandpa were both UW grads, and took me to my first Husky football game when I was 4 or 5.

Turns out I have a real issue dealing with loss. As she deteriorated, I stopped being able to recognize her, because she could no longer remember who I was. The person I knew was gone, even though she was sitting right there. It fucked me up. I wasn’t a good husband, father, son, brother, or friend. I was just checked out. I traveled to Europe to see the village in France where my grandpa had been when he won a bronze star to try and honor the past. Friends took me out and got me wasted to cheer me up. I bought a fucking yacht. I even started some light TBSing...pretty much rock bottom.

Anyways, I think the point I am trying to make is this; we only get one life. And in that time you’re gonna meet a lot of people. But very few of them will ever form a connection with you. Those that do may eventually forget you. So spend what time you have with the people who get you. I’ve known some of you since I was in high school. Once upon a time I was the bright eyed and bushy tailed BTP of the Halfbrain movement, except way better. If you’ve read this far, I assume you’re one of the OGs. The HHBs. The mother fuckin Viet Cong of WASHINGTON football. You degenerate fucks were my rock during the darkest days of the program. Since we’re still here, and you still remember who I am, I’m BACK.

Special shout out to Grundle for extending the olive branch that convinced me to post again.

Thanks for reading 😘

Where in France?