Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

‘Oh, my God, this kid’s got it’: Our #WildDick

Edited Caple piece, fully engorged dick in the WAM:

SEATTLE — Palmdale (Calif.) High won its season-opener Friday night, a 48-27 victory at Ridgecrest Burroughs, so the team’s Saturday afternoon film review already might have been tinged with celebration.

Then someone piped up with an important interruption, and the mood grew even more festive: In his first college game, on his first college touch, Washington Huskies running back Richard Newton had scored his first college touchdown.

“We had to take like a 10-minute break for everyone to watch it,” Palmdale coach Eric Nickols said, “and take out their phones and take a look at it and get back to work.”

It was unclear if any EWU defenders even touched him. To hear Nickols tell it, they may have regretted trying to tackle him, anyway.

“Any time any of his teammates ever tried to tackle him in practice, you didn’t get up clean,” Nickols said. “You got up like, ‘This hurts, that hurts.’ You just got up with something banged up when he hit you. He’s a very violent runner.”

And it wasn’t until Palmdale’s first league game, Nickols said, that he put Newton at tailback.

“That very first game,” Nickols said, “it was like, ‘Oh, my God, this kid’s got it.’ ”

As a linebacker, he put a few hit-stick-caliber tackles on film, which Nickols, the defensive coordinator at the time, might have appreciated most.

“Anything for the team. That’s the type of kid he was: ‘Whatever you need me to do, coach,’ ” Nickols said. “He was the type of kid where you watched a high school football game, and you walked away going, ‘That kid’s going to the next level,’ and everyone in the stands thought so.”

A consensus three-star prospect, Newton had a relatively modest offer list, choosing the Huskies over Utah, California, UCLA and a few others. Nickols said most schools pursuing him backed off after he hurt his ankle, “but I think Washington kind of knew what they were going to get when he was healthy, and stayed with him. I always got the feeling that he liked UW from the get-go. I think he developed a good relationship with Bhonapha, and he came down here several times.”

“He’s a physical runner, hard to tackle. He’s strong. He runs angry,” Bhonapha said. “He’s all about the yards after contact. That’s one of the reasons we liked him. Then you watched him on defense and saw a lot of the same things when he was playing linebacker. So it’s really exciting to see a guy with the aggression he runs with be successful in our offense.”

The Huskies sometimes employed star tailback Myles Gaskin in the wildcat to some degree of success, often in short-yardage or goal-line situations in which it benefited them to simply get the ball in his hands as quickly as possible. That the first *WildDick* snap of the 2019 season went to Newton suggests coaches already trust his instincts and vision.

Bhonapha describes Newton as a “low-key, really serious” guy, which aligns with Nickols’ description of him as “real quiet. He didn’t talk a lot. You never heard him messing around, horseplaying. He was about his work.”

Newton has adjusted well enough so far, after redshirting last season while nursing a shoulder injury, and it seems only logical that Newton will continue to be a part of UW’s offensive game plan. The running back room is crowded, with Ahmed leading the way, and juniors Sean McGrew and Kamari Pleasant fighting for carries, too. But Newton might have proved already that he deserves just as long of a look, with greater competition awaiting when California visits Husky Stadium on Saturday.

“That’s the first real snaps that he’s had. I think he answered the bell,” UW coach Chris Petersen said. “I think all this … it’s kind of like a quiz, so to speak. The next one’s a bigger one. This is more of the midterm — let’s see where we’re at. So, he did well for the first one.”

Comments

• Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    #WildDick has my attention
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    Give this kid an honorary lunch pail.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,764 Founders Club

Give this kid an honorary lunch pail.

The Wes Welker Trophy?