Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This can't happen again

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam

Luckily, "hands of stone" was on the coverage of the inside receiver in the trips. This is cover-1 out of a nickel against 10 personnel, so everyone is accounted for, with the free safety protecting over the top. As soon as the back motions to the trips side, Bryant leaves the inside trips receiver and dives in to cut off the running back, the receiver he left is wide open in the hook/curl zone for a first down and a lot more if he's a decent athlete.

One of two breakdowns is occurring here:
1.) Most likely, Wellington fails to realize that the inside trips receiver is now his responsibility and is crazy late recognizing and getting over there.
2.) Bryant should not have passed off his man, and Wellington should have mirrored him into the flat.

Either way, Wellington should have been on his way to the far hash before the ball was even snapped. Instead, he's shading the center, and both linebackers could reach out and touch each other.

The good news is this is something that can be cleaned up. The bad news is that, when he wasn't being run out of the play with A-gap blitzes, our "upgraded version of BBK" most-hyped linebacker was pretty anonymous if not out of position. I hope it was just first game jitters or something, as he was awesome down the stretch last season.

Comments

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Good shit @1to392831weretaken

Wellington looks noticeably bigger this year and one would hope that'd translate to a big senior year. But even Kyler stood out more than him on Saturday.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Great look and breakdown.

You. Can see that Welly is lined up really close to Manu, near the boundary hash, and continues to drift closer to the boundary hash and Manu as the motion begins. It leaves a ton of space to the field side wide open.

And then with the motion, he doesn’t even move towards the field side. He just stays still right where he was. But you can see that as soon as the motion begins, Bryant breaks at a full sprint.

My guess would be Bryant recognizes that the motion man is completely uncovered with 20 yards of space to the nearest defender and reacts. Welly somewhat drifts back but is really needs to make more of an effort to move his zone towards the seam on the field hash.

Or at least that’s what I’d say if I were trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839

I used to hot route to that play all the time in NCAA Football. I was the real pre snap Jesus.

I still have the game. Quick seam routes or hitch routes from the slot are the cheesiest thing ever.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Wellington fucking sucks. It is what it is. Even if you recruit out of your minds some big name will turn out to be a turd.

I’m going to give him more time. Coaches have spoken highly about him. He’s done almost nothing at UW tho and I still hate the posters that pretended he was even close to being a BBK level player.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    But Bob Gregory is a great LB coach...
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

But Bob Gregory is a great LB coach...

He’s fine. When did you guys get so obsessed with position coaches?