Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The walk away is undefeated

2»

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@UW_Doog_Bot, you're an oil man? In what capacity?

Family has been in the industry since before WW2. I ended up in the industry after a very circuitous path around 2013 or so. I manage large capital projects for my current company.
    Man, I'm on the very opposite end of the spectrum: Lowly operator. Allows me to keep living in the area, though, so I'll take it.
    Being a company man in town isn't a bad gig if you managed to get it.

Plus, there's going to be a huge vacuum in management when all the boomers croak.

Sure as hell beats my friends with shoe shine degrees and student debt slinging coffee.
    Anything related to geology is a massive void of talent. Petroleum engineering, mining engineers, anything to do with extraction industries are going to be pretty well fucked in less than 10 years. The brain drain will be massive.

And despite what the greenies think, the need for industrial minerals and oil isn't going to slow down any time soon. Lithium is the new hot play but WTF has been our exploring for lithium?!? Am aware of several projects now in Nevada but lithium was like a shit mineral for the gold and silver hounds out there turning over rocks.

China flooded the market with "cheap" lithium, killing the lithium mining industry in the US a long time ago, I believe I read. As for oil, I don't see it being a long term gig for me. The writing is just on the wall. Honestly, I'm not upset. I'll have to find something different, but the world will be better off.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Family has been in the industry since before WW2. I ended up in the industry after a very circuitous path around 2013 or so. I manage large capital projects for my current company.
    Man, I'm on the very opposite end of the spectrum: Lowly operator. Allows me to keep living in the area, though, so I'll take it.

Plus, there's going to be a huge vacuum in management when all the boomers croak.

Sure as hell beats my friends with shoe shine degrees and student debt slinging coffee.
    Anything related to geology is a massive void of talent. Petroleum engineering, mining engineers, anything to do with extraction industries are going to be pretty well fucked in less than 10 years. The brain drain will be massive.

And despite what the greenies think, the need for industrial minerals and oil isn't going to slow down any time soon. Lithium is the new hot play but WTF has been our exploring for lithium?!? Am aware of several projects now in Nevada but lithium was like a shit mineral for the gold and silver hounds out there turning over rocks.

And to think that people at UW called Geology 101 “Rocks for Jocks”.
    That's the weed out class.

Those geo guys talk a completely foreign language.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

And to think that people at UW called Geology 101 “Rocks for Jocks”.
    That's the only class I ever got a B. Took it online and totally missed a test. It was due on Saturday night or some dumb shit.