Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tl;DR piece on Joe Rogan from The Atlantic

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
@DerekJohnson thought you might find this interesting. I debated whether to post in the Tug or me Shoppe, but it seems more pop culture than politics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/my-joe-rogan-experience/594802/

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I felt like I learned less about Rogan than I did about the worldview of self-loathing males.

I kind of have a love-hate attitude towards Joe. On the one hand, I think he's a UFC, meathead, douche canoe. But then he gets a lot a great guests on his pod and I like his style of hosting.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,297
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    yyyeeeeeesshhh, "I couldn't get an interview or even a comment from this guy so I tried to live like him" this is some vox level reporting.

I think this tells you most of what you need to know about the author.

[The bedrock issue, though, is Rogan’s courting of a middle-bro audience that the cultural elite hold in particular contempt—guys who get barbed-wire tattoos and fill their fridge with Monster energy drinks and preordered their tickets to see Hobbs & Shaw. Joe loves these guys, and his affection has none of the condescension and ironic distance many people fall back on in order to get comfortable with them. He shares their passions and enthusiasms at a moment when the public dialogue has branded them childish or problematic or a slippery slope to Trumpism. Like many of these men, Joe grumbles a lot about “political correctness.” He knows that he is privileged by virtue of his gender and his skin color, but in his heart he is sick of being reminded about it. Like lots of other white men in America, he is grappling with a growing sense that the term white man has become an epithet. And like lots of other men in America, not just the white ones, he’s reckoning out loud with a fear that the word masculinity has become, by definition, toxic.]
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

I felt like I learned less about Rogan than I did about the worldview of self-loathing males.

I kind of have a love-hate attitude towards Joe. On the one hand, I think he's a UFC, meathead, douche canoe. But then he gets a lot a great guests on his pod and I like his style of hosting.
    I had that preconception too and then started listening to selected pods recently. It's good shit.

That writer's handwringing over Joe was beta as fuck.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I had that preconception too and then started listening to selected pods recently. It's good shit.

That writer's handwringing over Joe was beta as fuck.
    Agree. Lot of Beta here. Still and interesting piece though and he does give Joe some respeck.

I think I started to come around to Joe when I listened to his pod with my hero, Sam Harris.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

yyyeeeeeesshhh, "I couldn't get an interview or even a comment from this guy so I tried to live like him" this is some vox level reporting.

[The bedrock issue, though, is Rogan’s courting of a middle-bro audience that the cultural elite hold in particular contempt—guys who get barbed-wire tattoos and fill their fridge with Monster energy drinks and preordered their tickets to see Hobbs & Shaw. Joe loves these guys, and his affection has none of the condescension and ironic distance many people fall back on in order to get comfortable with them. He shares their passions and enthusiasms at a moment when the public dialogue has branded them childish or problematic or a slippery slope to Trumpism. Like many of these men, Joe grumbles a lot about “political correctness.” He knows that he is privileged by virtue of his gender and his skin color, but in his heart he is sick of being reminded about it. Like lots of other white men in America, he is grappling with a growing sense that the term white man has become an epithet. And like lots of other men in America, not just the white ones, he’s reckoning out loud with a fear that the word masculinity has become, by definition, toxic.]

I, too, have contempt for men who get barbed wire tatoos, and energy drinks are fs. Do I need to apologize?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I, too, have contempt for men who get barbed wire tatoos, and energy drinks are fs. Do I need to apologize?
    No.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,297
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's more the fact that this is the stereotype the author needs to fall back on to justify his feelings about Joe Rogan.

I'd expect he'd use the same stereotype to describe HH were he to visit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's more the fact that this is the stereotype the author needs to fall back on to justify his feelings about Joe Rogan.

I'd expect he'd use the same stereotype to describe HH were he to visit.
    I fucking love stereotyping @UW_Doog_Bot

Fucking weirdos!!

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    a middle-bro audience that the cultural elite hold in particular contempt

Damn fucking straight. The elites hate my schtick.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I've always been a man of the people

People of all walks of life like me.

But the best thing is when you get old you no longer give a fuck what anyone thinks

Uhh who is the qb under Day dipshit? Fuck Race, u been paying attention?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Joe likes weed, boobies and fighting.....

How can ANY male take umbrage at that?!?

Edit: I forgot the @Dennis_DeYoung s probably don't really give two fucks about boobies - but weed and fighting is still cool, right?

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Edit: I forgot the @Dennis_DeYoung s probably don't really give two fucks about boobies - but weed and fighting is still cool, right?

Even gay d00ds love b00bs.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Even gay d00ds love b00bs.

True. I've been to Mardi Gras.

What happens in NOLA stays in NOLA. Except that burning sensation when one pisses.....

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I've always been a man of the people

People of all walks of life like me.

But the best thing is when you get old you no longer give a fuck what anyone thinks

This is true.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Swaye said:

I have a barbed wire tattoo. Around my dick.
    Hurts so good
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    Founders Club
    edited August 2019

That was exactly how I felt reading this piece. The writer went to great lengths to emphasize and establish his own metrosexualness while grappling with his attempts to comprehend an alien meathead species like Joe Rogan.