Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Another Pre-Season Analytic Projection

Comments

• Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

What I've gathered from these metrics is that UW is expected to be a somewhat dominant, beta team in 2019.

@NorwegianHusky
    The weed be letting me know
    This has legs...it just works. Very versatile.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

He hates us.

Luckily his model is total garbage.

At least preseason. Maybe it will improve although I doubt it since the returning production portion seems to be the most solid part.

Reading through his website, in season he hits 80% predictions on who will win games, but preseason projections are just below 60% hit rates. So it definitely is more accurate in season as the data begins to compile.

He admits himself that the data skews towards returning production in his preseason models.

Not sure exactly who he is but he does pods with the Arizona 247 mod, and he claims he is an econometrician.
    Econometrics? Great.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Today in the race to win the Metrics Natty
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mad_Son said:

From reading those tweets embedded in that post, this guy sounds like a moron. Our offense sucked and we know what suck looks like. Our offense being bad is mostly independent of Utah's offense. I think that he must conflate being critical of nonsense as trying to build yourself up.

A spade is a spade Roob Bowron.

You’re not wrong. I just find it all very entertaining
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I don't get the metrics obsession. I get the projection and historical comparisons part. But outside of serious gamblers, I don't understand why people get so passionate about that. Some out here seems to value metrics wins more than scoreboard, baby.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I don't get the metrics obsession. I get the projection and historical comparisons part. But outside of serious gamblers, I don't understand why people get so passionate about that. Some out here seems to value metrics wins more than scoreboard, baby.

s/o @HeretoBeatmyChest he loves the s&p all unadjusted or readjusted metrics
  • Options

Poont of clarification on my own personal stance since I don’t know if I’ve ever made it known:

I’m not a huge metrics guy. I’m with you on scoreboard. I find my main role and ultimately my purpose at HH is just Dooging over anything that looks good for my Dwags or makes my Dwags shine, or, poasting anything that I find interesting.

And all these metrics like Connelly’s S&P+, the Pick Six Previews, and now this Beta_Rank.... I find them I interesting. I enjoy seeing how they rank UW and generally it’s in a good light (#shocker; a well run program with elite coaching and development and increasing recruiting comes out shining in computer models).

I like to compare them and see what different ones come up with, and I like to investigate them to get a general sense of how teams are projected to be before the season starts (specifically the Pac-12). Then you see how those preseason projections crumble once the season is underway and the actual players on the field matter.

I don’t put a ton of stock in them, but I enjoy finding out how they perceive my favorite team as well as my hated teams. Then I like to poast them here for my brethren and fake internet friends to debate and fight over and call each other names or jerk each other off.

TL:DR

Grundle, all I want is to....

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,112
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Poont of clarification on my own personal stance since I don’t know if I’ve ever made it known:

I’m not a huge metrics guy. I’m with you on scoreboard. I find my main role and ultimately my purpose at HH is just Dooging over anything that looks good for my Dwags or makes my Dwags shine, or, poasting anything that I find interesting.

And all these metrics like Connelly’s S&P+, the Pick Six Previews, and now this Beta_Rank.... I find them I interesting. I enjoy seeing how they rank UW and generally it’s in a good light (#shocker; a well run program with elite coaching and development and increasing recruiting comes out shining in computer models).

I like to compare them and see what different ones come up with, and I like to investigate them to get a general sense of how teams are projected to be before the season starts (specifically the Pac-12). Then you see how those preseason projections crumble once the season is underway and the actual players on the field matter.

I don’t put a ton of stock in them, but I enjoy finding out how they perceive my favorite team as well as my hated teams. Then I like to poast them here for my brethren and fake internet friends to debate and fight over and call each other names or jerk each other off.

Wasn't talking about you. I don't think, I dunno, do you fag out about these too?

If metrics are entertaining, enjoy. There is so much twatters metric smack though, it's cringey.

I do appreciate how Connelly goes about it. PAPNv1 (RIP) used it as a tool but not an end in itself.
    The thing I like about "metrics" is they can do a lot better job of evaluating a lot of data to compare two teams who will never face each other and have many common opponents. This is particularly important if the Pac 12 ever fields a good team because it is the only way the East coast will hear about it. The biggest problem is they have somewhat limited value early in the season and by end of season largely tell you what you already knew, and are more of a refinement for comparing team 13 in texas to team 14 in california to team 15 in mississippi. If you don't watch a lot of games though then maybe this is a lot more informative for you though.

To start a season we know future wins correlate with talent levels, and weakly with returning starts/production, but actually heading in to a season with a metric that predicts how good a team will be would be something else.
  • Options

Wasn't talking about you. I don't think, I dunno, do you fag out about these too?

If metrics are entertaining, enjoy. There is so much twatters metric smack though, it's cringey.

I do appreciate how Connelly goes about it. PAPNv1 (RIP) used it as a tool but not an end in itself.
    I definitely do not dive into twatters Metric smack talk @GrundleStiltzkin. And I don’t try to use metrics to prove points or win debates. I just like to see where teams are ranked and how they compare to the Dwags.

Connelly is probably my favorite. This new Bowron doesn’t go about it the same way as Connelly even though S&P+ was what made him want to start Beta_Rank.

But yeah, my only investment is to see how metrics claim teams are, then poast it here for others to debate.

Case in point for what I find interesting:

All last season I heard how Cristobal has made Oregon into a smash mouth SEC style team who like to impose their will and wear teams down. Portland radio has discussed how in the UW game last year Oregon dominated the line and wore us down (False, their YPC wasn’t impressive and UW had better rushing stats).

Then this entire offseason it’s been all about how Oregon has the best line in the country, most returning starts. Etc etc.

Then you look at something like footballoutsiders OL metrics and they were extremely average.

I don’t take that to mean their line will suck this year or be amazing. I'll wait until I watch their games and decide. I just find it interesting to see how metrics match or argue the narrative.

TL:DR,

I love college football and UW and try to find all sources of info that talks about it. Metrics are entertaining for me, but I don’t take them as gospel, and I definitely don’t fight on twatter about it.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You can all fuck off for ruining this @RuffaloSoldier thread with all of your faggy metrics talk.

@RuffaloSoldier
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 498
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

From reading those tweets embedded in that post, this guy sounds like a moron. Our offense sucked and we know what suck looks like. Our offense being bad is mostly independent of Utah's offense. I think that he must conflate being critical of nonsense as trying to build yourself up.

A spade is a spade Roob Bowron.

Uhhh, spade means sumthin different here in the ‘Lou. Ask any white policeman.

Just saying.
  • Options

Lastly, the 2019 conference comparison:

Quarter Poll Update because it's late and I'm drinking Redbreast 12: