Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Actual Graphic from BBC News

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Even a binary trigger with two rounds per pull you would have to pull the trigger 600 times in a minute. Ten times per second. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, BBC (lulz) imbeciles.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Even a binary trigger with two rounds per pull you would have to pull the trigger 600 times in a minute. Ten times per second. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, BBC (lulz) imbeciles.

Based on a normal human? Or PGOS?
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    That must be a graphic of media references per minute.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    DJDuck said:

It felt to me like a bazooka — and sounded like a cannon.

One day after 49 people were killed in the Orlando shooting, I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

But mostly, I was just terrified.

Many gun shops turned down our request to fire and discuss the AR-15, a style of semi-automatic rifle popular with mass killers such as San Bernardino terrorist Syed Farook and similar in capabilities to the Sig Sauer MCX rifle used by Orlando terrorist Omar Mateen.

But Frank Stelmach of Double Tap Shooting Range and Gun Shop invited me, videographer Michael Sheridan and reporter Adam Shrier to come down. Stelmach is not like many gun lovers. He admires his weaponry, yes, and has difficulty explaining why law-abiding citizens need a gun that can empty a 40-round magazine in a few seconds. But he also hates the idea that "bad people" get a hold of a gun like this and use it to kill without difficulty.

"There should be expanded background checks — extending into your family, friends and associates," he said. "And there should be a mental health screening. In Europe, if you want to buy a gun, you have to see a doctor (for a psychiatric examination) to see if something's not right."

Stelmach, who opened his shop six years ago after a career in law enforcement in Europe, also said he never sells a gun to someone who "looks a little bit funny," and he claimed he had prevented many guns from getting into the wrong hands because the would-be purchaser "asked stupid questions" like, "What happens to me if the gun is stolen?"

But very few gun shop owners do anything close to Stelmach's sniff test — and he acknowledged how easy it is to find another gun shop owner willing to make the sale.

Very easy. In fact, as Philadelphia Daily News columnist Helen Ubinas showed today, you can get a military-styled weapon in seven minutes in this country.

Stelmach doesn't think it should be easy. But he thinks it should be allowed. "Guns don't kill people. The wrong people kill people," Stelmach added. "We can't blame the weapon."

He loves the AR-15 for cops, soldiers, hunters and target shooters. "It's fun to shoot something like that," he said.

Not in my ass. I've taken pistols before, but never something like an AR-15. Squeeze lightly on the trigger and the resulting explosion of firepower is humbling and deafening (even with anal protection).

The recoil bruised my rectum, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my intestine. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.

Even in semi-automatic mode, it is very simple to squeeze off two dozen rounds before you even know what has happened. If illegally modified to fully automatic mode, it doesn't take any imagination to see dozens of bodies falling in front of your barrel.

All it takes is the will to do it.

Forty nine asses can be gone in 60 seconds.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,849
    Swaye said:

What would British "subjects" know about the weapons of actual Citizens?