Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Creep transferred guardianship of his kid??

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    +

my uncle went to Cal (in state) for essentially free. It was like what we saw for student fees. Like $600 / year for a full load of credits. There was so much flush in Cali back then they didn't know what the fuck to do with it all.

then the world showed up and the pie has been split too many tims.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,268
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

+

my uncle went to Cal (in state) for essentially free. It was like what we saw for student fees. Like $600 / year for a full load of credits. There was so much flush in Cali back then they didn't know what the fuck to do with it all.

then the world showed up and the pie has been split too many tims.

Yep. I don't care what AltadenaBob @CirrhosisDawg says, The Golden State ain't what it once was. For some - including many who poast here - it's still pretty phenomenal in terms of quality of life. But when you go from 20,000,000 to 40,000,000 over a few decades it's going to create significant problems.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think it was still only $2700 a quarter for me in the 2000's. I got screwed on some of the out of state stuff they changed while I was enrolled but still it was cheap for what I was getting.

I benefited from my brother being a successful college drop out and the fact that I paid for most of my GE at CC (less than $1k A YEAR w/ books and fees) so my parents had paid essentially zero up to that point.

They were so relieved I finally gave a shit by the time I went to UW that they picked up the tab on what was left.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,268
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think it was still only $2700 a quarter for me in the 2000's. I got screwed on some of the out of state stuff they changed while I was enrolled but still it was cheap for what I was getting.

I benefited from my brother being a successful college drop out and the fact that I paid for most of my GE at CC (less than $1k A YEAR w/ books and fees) so my parents had paid essentially zero up to that point.

They were so relieved I finally gave a shit by the time I went to UW that they picked up the tab on what was left.

Such medium strategy- i.e., 2 years JC, 2 years at University.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Such medium strategy- i.e., 2 years JC, 2 years at University.
    It's actually even more medium strat. I had a year of college done when I entered but took 3 at CC anyways bc I swapped through fifteen majors and also moved to WA on a whim instead of enrolling at UCLA or UCI. Took 3 at UW as well but bc I double degreed instead of double majored and they capped my transfer credits. My transcripts look like a Gutenberg bible.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Mrs. Creep and I are basically your parents with our youngest. The one who has perhaps the most gifts of our three, things have always come too easily for her and it made her complacent. So due almost entirely to soccer recruiting (and following her Dad's insistence on taking hard classes in HS), she totally and completely slides into a pretty elite LAC in upstate NY. We put the kibosh on the handful of D1 offers because (a) the money for a non-rev. sport like w soccer is nothing anyway, (b) it's a full fucking time jerb at D1 for a then-underachieving academis kid, and (c) other than UC Santa Barbara and one or two others, most of the schools chasing her were fine but not elite by academis standards.

She gets into this other place where I know the soccer will be easy for her and where there will be not a single person who would remotely resemble someone she'd hang out with in high school and where she'd be a little over her head academis-wise. A challenging freshman year, which I expected, but she's answered the bell, and so like a monkey getting his banana I enthusiastically write that tuition check every semester because, as you say, I'm fucking thrilled she finally gives a shit.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,230
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

My folks were separated but not divorced when my brother was going to Columbia so he didn't get aid because my dad's income still counted. My mom worked three jobs to send him there. Or not. He went to both Columbia and Berkeley. School was amazingly affordable

UW was 180 bucks a quarter when I went there

And I thought in-state was cheap at UW in the late 90's. In my day is was $1100 a quarter for tuition and books which is $1700 in 2019 USD. $180 in 1974 equates to about $980 today. Fuck man - other than 'Nam you Boomers had a cushy existence.
    Let Uncle Creepy tell you a little story about affordability young buck.

Each year I was at UW, including LS, I applied for this scholarship from the Bishop Foundation. An old timber baron died w/o children, and he and his wife left their fortune to the Harbor to endow scholarships for the local brats, like me. I filled out the application in five minutes, and basically confirmed that I'm breathing and that I graduated from a harbor high school. That trust sent A LOT of harbor kids to school.

Money would just show up in the mail. A check. To me. My name. I could have done anything with it. Random ass amounts because they were cutting into the corpus of the trust at that point. My 3rd year in LS, I remember getting a check for like $3482.16, or some shit like that. No strings. Paid for a full year of LS tuition, books and I had money left over to burn.

Ah, those were the days.

Plus, I skipped 'Nam.