Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deryuter good, but Petersen bad?

WHY?

Petersen has coached the premier mid-major and has beaten BCS schools. Tons of experience.

Wilcox worked for him.

What part of 92-12 do you not like?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For once, I agree with AuburnDoog. Petersen has done it for longer in the same conference. An 8-4 season shows how fickle many fans are. Petersen has turned down a shitload of jobs. He's not Mora, but he would be a good hire, and a safer bet than DeRuyter.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I can agree with this, doesn't make sense to me. I would take either or over Nuss but would prefer Petersen if it came down it it. I think people have a bad taste in their mouths because of the plunger job Sark put on him this season. Even great coaches lose to mediocre ones from time to time.
  • Options
    Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    edited December 2013
    The part where he made a living beating up on Wyoming, San Jose, New Mexico State and Idaho.

But DeRuyter and Petersen and the two best "realistic" names out there.

Edited to say if he hasn't been interested in Oregon in the past, and in SC last week, he probably has no interest in UW. But who knows...
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Boise SRS ratings...

Before Peterson
    Peterson:
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

WHY?

Petersen has coached the premier mid-major and has beaten BCS schools. Tons of experience.

Wilcox worked for him.

Auburn, Petersen is the #1 choice by a landslide. He's just stubborn and loyal. The second choice, Mora included, is lightyears distant. Ive already prayed for CP. Hopefully the good lord throws me a bone.

Anyone who thinks CP isnt the best choice needs help

• Options

The part where he made a living beating up on Wyoming, San Jose, New Mexico State and Idaho.

Edited to say if he hasn't been interested in Oregon in the past, and in SC last week, he probably has no interest in UW. But who knows...

Hiring a coach is always a gamble but I just find Petersen to be one of the less riskier hires. The fact that he beats up the sisters of the poor year in year out is a factor. His track record against the Pac-12 and top 25 teams is actually not that bad though.

I think Petersen would be a decent hire because as I stated in another thread a coach who has gone to a couple BCS bowl games with so called "inferior talent" should be able to come in and work with the decent talent we have and be competing for a Rose Bowl in year 1. If he goes 9-5 with this group then he isn't the guy.
    I'm not 100% sold because I've seen these BCS "buster" coaches fail at the higher level enough to worry me. Hawkins, Mendenhall, Whittingham, Patterson all come to mind.

That said, he get's the most out of what he has on a consistent basis. I'm not gonna jump into a flaming dumpster if either Petersen or DeRuyter get hired. I favor Deruyter right now mostly because of his defensive background.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited December 2013

WHY?

Wilcox worked for him.

Auburn, Petersen is the #1 choice by a landslide. He's just stubborn and loyal. The second choice, Mora included, is lightyears distant. Ive already prayed for CP. Hopefully the good lord throws me a bone.

CP = child pr0n?

Always figured you were the type.
  • Options

Hiring a coach is always a gamble but I just find Petersen to be one of the less riskier hires. The fact that he beats up the sisters of the poor year in year out is a factor. His track record against the Pac-12 and top 25 teams is actually not that bad though.

I think Petersen would be a decent hire because as I stated in another thread a coach who has gone to a couple BCS bowl games with so called "inferior talent" should be able to come in and work with the decent talent we have and be competing for a Rose Bowl in year 1. If he goes 9-5 with this group then he isn't the guy.
    I'm not 100% sold because I've seen these BCS "buster" coaches fail at the higher level enough to worry me. Hawkins, Mendenhall, Whittingham, Patterson all come to mind.

That said, he get's the most out of what he has on a consistent basis. I'm not gonna jump into a flaming dumpster if either Petersen or DeRuyter get hired. I favor Deruyter right now mostly because of his defensive background.

In terms of points against Boise State was 41st this year and Fresno State was 83rd. Fresno has the record it does this year because Carr has been killing it (1st in the FBS in passing yards).

I would like to see an actual so called offensive mind like Petersen come in and see what he could do with weapons like Kasen, Stringfellow, Mickens, Ross, Washington, and possibly even ASJ. If he can't get production against P12 competition constantly with that group then we will know he is just another Boise State dud.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Without a doubt I would take Petersen over any coordinator/1st time head coach learning on the job.

I'm hesitant of Petersen because BSU coaches have not fared well after they've left BSU. The college head coaching careers of former BSU coaches Nutt, Hawkins and Koetter ended after they failed when they left BSU for higher profile jobs. Nutt had some success @ AR, but he's no longer a head coach. Koetter's best finish in the Pac-10 was 3rd and he's an NFL asst. now. We all know how Hawkins did @ Colorado and he's coaching in fukin Montreal now. No joke. Plus, Petersen got beat by Dillingham and 7WS.

I like DeRuyter more because he's defensive oriented, he took over a shaky program and showed dramatic improvement in all phases, and won a conf. championship in his 1st yr and is playing for a second 1 after having 10 wins this season. He's coached in 13 bowls. While he hasn't been a HC for long, he's been coaching for over 22 years.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I need to see a championship
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Three words:

Nutt
    Koetter
    Hawkins
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Three words:

Nutt
    Koetter
    Hawkins

Does Nutt really count? The guy coached for 1 year had a shitty record at Boise State . That was more of an ArkansasFS hire, no reason he should have been bumped up.

Hawkins is the big red flag for sure but I think Petersen is a step up from him. Petersen took over a 9-4 team and won a BCS game the next year. Sure he was in the system already but Helfrich was also the same kind of hire and that turned out much worse.

IIRC correctly Petersen was a Maldanado kicker away from a 3rd BCS bowl in 6 years in 2011. He is 5-2 in bowl games with 2 BCS wins.

I just feel he is a safe hire because the doogs love calling BSU Boise Junior College so I feel the leash would be short if he failed year 1. I would just prefer him over Wilcox and Nuss who appear to be the favorites. By no means is he close to one of my first choices though as pool boy pretty much has enough money to get whoever he wants.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

WHY?

Wilcox worked for him.

nothing a $4 Million contract can't cure.

• Options

In terms of points against Boise State was 41st this year and Fresno State was 83rd. Fresno has the record it does this year because Carr has been killing it (1st in the FBS in passing yards).

I would like to see an actual so called offensive mind like Petersen come in and see what he could do with weapons like Kasen, Stringfellow, Mickens, Ross, Washington, and possibly even ASJ. If he can't get production against P12 competition constantly with that group then we will know he is just another Boise State dud.
    Like I said, I'm not gonna run out and drink bleach if pool actually hires Petersen. But I am wary.

Back when Ty was fired I was actually big on Whittingham. My landlord in Utah was the father of all-MWC WR Derrick Richards. I got tickets to any game I wanted. I was at Rice Eccles in '07 when the Utes plungered #10 UCLA 44-6. I thought goddamn! This guy can recruit, develop AND gameday coach. Whittingham finished of the 2008 season by beating #4 Bama in the Sugar Bowl while UW was wading thru the muck looking for someone who even wanted the fucking job. I thought Whitt was he guy.

Fast forward and now that UofU is in the PAC he has barely achieved mediocre. That's why I'm wary. But like you said..it's a gamble no matter who you go with.

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Here's what I would like about Petersen.

If he does, and that is a big fucking if, wins championships ...

He has proven he will stick with the region, which means if paid well he likely stays.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Who was the coach at Fresno State before Deruyter?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Who was the coach at Fresno State before Deruyter?

Some soft players coach