Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Truth about Nick Montana

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,142
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
A long-time acquaintance of mine is close friends with Joe Montana. You know what Joe Montana told him? That he pulled his son out of the UW program because "Sark is running a circus over there".

Kim Grinolds and the others at Dawgman think it gives us pleasure to point this stuff out, but they fail to understand that it pains us greatly. We long for the days of Washington being a powerhouse and we long for the days when Dawgman.com was THE place to be with open dialogue and fun times. They totally misunderstand where we're coming from and why HH now exists.

Comments

• Options
    DisplacedDawgDisplacedDawg Member Posts: 42
    Photogenic First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It makes me sick to read that. Did your acquaintance elaborate on what Joe meant by a circus, beyond what I can imagine based on what I see? I'd like to hear more about what someone like Joe Montana saw as an "insider."

Of course, those at doogman will shrug it off as sour grapes since it was obvious Nick wasn't going to win the starting job.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Staff, true?

I agree with the circus part, but the fact that Nick Montana would never see the field is probably why he transferred.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,095
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It makes me sick to read that. Did your acquaintance elaborate on what Joe meant by a circus, beyond what I can imagine based on what I see? I'd like to hear more about what someone like Joe Montana saw as an "insider."

Of course, those at doogman will shrug it off as sour grapes since it was obvious Nick wasn't going to win the starting job.

If my son was never going to see the field again I would try and save face for him too. I don't doubt it is a circus there or that Joe Montana said that... but I think you have to take that comment with a grain of salt. If Nick Montana were the starter at UW he would still be here.

Also Montana would have played in 2012 but in 2011 that wasn't obvious.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Mad_Son said:

If my son was never going to see the field again I would try and save face for him too. I don't doubt it is a circus there or that Joe Montana said that... but I think you have to take that comment with a grain of salt. If Nick Montana were the starter at UW he would still be here.

Also Montana would have played in 2012 but in 2011 that wasn't obvious.
    pretty much my feelings exactly

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,142
    Founders Club
    edited March 2013
    I wasn't very impressed with what I saw of Nick Montana...

That being said... when former Huskies describe walking into the UW locker room the day before a game and hearing music blasting and seeing guys dancing around and acting like a party is underway (instead of having serious game faces on), I get concerned. When former Huskies describe sitting in on team meetings and seeing assistant coaches doing extended rhythmic clapping routines and chanting back and forth with the players, and the former Huskies are thinking "how is this teaching them anything?", I get concerned.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That being said... when former Huskies describe walking into the UW locker room the day before a game and hearing music blasting and seeing guys dancing around and acting like a party is underway (instead of having serious game faces on), I get concerned. When former Huskies describe sitting in on team meetings and seeing assistant coaches doing extended rhythmic clapping routines and chanting back and forth with the players, and the former Huskies are thinking "how is this teaching them anything?", I get concerned.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. If they were acting foolish on game day, then that is a problem. The day before a game though? Not a big deal to me. I don't think that is the reason we lack discipline.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,520
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its only a game
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

That being said... when former Huskies describe walking into the UW locker room the day before a game and hearing music blasting and seeing guys dancing around and acting like a party is underway (instead of having serious game faces on), I get concerned. When former Huskies describe sitting in on team meetings and seeing assistant coaches doing extended rhythmic slapping routines and chanting back and forth with the players, and the former Huskies are thinking "how is this teaching them anything?", I get concerned.

Easiest. Spellcheck. Ever.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

There is a fine balance to stuff like this. It's really a question of how mature your team is. I don't have a problem with a football team being loosey goosey in the locker room as long as the team is mature enough to lock on when it's time to review blitz pickup calls.

But if you're jerking around the day before a game and you're senior center is letting Shane Skov come untouched up the middle to rape your QB, now I have a problem with it.

Blow an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter of your rivalry game? Now I have a problem with it.

Now, as far as asst. coaches doing clapping and chanting routines? That's just fucking stupid. You're their coach, not their friend. How the fuck are your players going to respect any discipline or criticism you're going to eventually have to give them when you're playing "Overaged Rapper Superiority Guy"?

Fuck. DIAFF. 0-12. Deserve.