Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Birds are wicked smart, despite their small brains

GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/how-birds-are-so-smart-despite-small-brains

This explains why many bird species show levels of intelligence equally as high as that of primates. It opens up a whole new way of understanding how brains have evolved and what "smart" looks like under a microscope.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gwad said:

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/how-birds-are-so-smart-despite-small-brains

This explains why many bird species show levels of intelligence equally as high as that of primates. It opens up a whole new way of understanding how brains have evolved and what "smart" looks like under a microscope.

Nice try, bird brain
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,951
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Let's kill them with windmills

Better than having them take all the low wage jobs.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Gwad said:

Have you ever pissed off a crow? I have. It's creepy ... like real creepy. They don't seem to forget anything.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,951
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gwad said:

Have you ever pissed off a crow? I have. It's creepy ... like real creepy. They don't seem to forget anything.
    They will come after you. Forever.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,470
    dflea said:

Crows not only remember, they tell all their buddies that you're an asshole, too.

I love watching crows dismantle the camp sites of city folk that don't know that you don't leave food laying around when you go out in the woods.

This is true shoot one or two and they stay away for years. Having a roost tree next to your house is zero fun.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Crows not only remember, they tell all their buddies that you're an asshole, too.

I love watching crows dismantle the camp sites of city folk that don't know that you don't leave food laying around when you go out in the woods.

Why do you love that?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Why do you love that?
    Because it's funny.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gwad said:

Had a UW fren who was a researcher studying the crows on campus. They had a mask they would wear while studying the crows to help reduce the effect of the crows learning who the individual researchers were and changing their behaviors based on that. They also had all kinds of examples of the crows fucking with the researchers basically to "test" them back.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Gwad said:

Had a UW fren who was a researcher studying the crows on campus. They had a mask they would wear while studying the crows to help reduce the effect of the crows learning who the individual researchers were and changing their behaviors based on that. They also had all kinds of examples of the crows fucking with the researchers basically to "test" them back.
    I believe it. I parked in a lot on West campus years ago ... next that old coffee place "The Last Exit" on Brooklyn. There was a lame crow in the middle of the parking lot and another one in a tree concerned I was going to fuck with the lame one. Because I'm an asshole I lunged at the lame one to piss off the obnoxious one a little more, and that fucker swooped out of the tree, followed me for blocks to wherever, and did about a dozen close flybys of my head and would land and yap at me as if expecting me to understand what he was saying.

I then disappeared to wherever I was going for most of the day and when I returned, the lame bird was gone, it was quiet and no sign of the crow. And then as I was about to get into my car, "Swoop!". Fucker came out of nowhere like a Navy Seal and whacked me in the head. That son of a bitch was waiting there for me all fucking day to say "fuck you."

I know. Cool story bro'.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

Gwad said:

Even crows dislike your Miami Hurricanes schtick
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2019

Gwad said:

I watched a TV program about that. All those crows learned to hate that Goonies mask, and when they released the crows in this study, they taught all the other crows on campus to hate the person wearing that mask as well. You could take the mask anywhere on campus and put it on, and the crows in that area would start squawking and diving at the person wearing the mask.

In a Nation Geo program I watched, the crows in Yellowstone Park would swoop down on parked snowmoblies, undo the buckles on the saddle bags, toss out the clothes and shit, and eat the lunches at the bottom of the bags.

Crows are pretty cool. You should see them dismantle a campsite.

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2019
    In Kanazawa, Japan, a samurai town unspoiled by the war where geishas still walk the streets, there's a pathway from the town to a castle where there are trees with about 100 crows per tree. It sounds pretty cool when you disturb them, the sound of hundreds if not thousands of crows cawing and wings flapping.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

In Kanazawa, Japan, a samurai town unspoiled by the war where geishas still walk the streets, there's a pathway from the town to a castle where there are trees with about 100 crows per tree. It sounds pretty cool when you disturb them, the sound of hundreds if not thousands of crows cawing and wings flapping.

You are the ultimate Japanese @oregonblitzkrieg